cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interesting phenomenon with auto shut-off engine

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Our new F150 has the auto-shut off engine when idling for more than a few seconds. We discovered it has an interesting effect on our dogs. Our dogs normally settle right in and don't fuss until we get to our destination. The first time they rode in the new truck they kept fussing-every time we stopped. We think now it's not the motion of the truck that keeps them quite but the sound/feel of the engine noise/vibration. Has anyone else experienced this? Now we just shut off the auto feature so they stay quiet.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]
8 REPLIES 8

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with all the others: engine off = "we have arrived!" and hopefully the fun is about to begin!
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Toolguy5
Explorer
Explorer
Crowe wrote:
The dogs probably associate the engine turning off with you getting out of the vehicle and hopefully they also get out!

That's what we think too. It's just funny how "trained" they are.

I believe they do.

When I turn the blinker on Our Pomaranian runs to that side and looks out the window. She starts to get a little excited. Once she knows we are not stopping she settles back down.
Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess Rainbow Bridge 8/8/2023
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013

TugCE
Explorer
Explorer
When I used to travel with our Mini Doxie "Trouble". She would be fast asleep as soon as I started moving. She was one of the best traveling Pups that I have ever had. If I pulled into a rest stop to catch a quick nap, she would sit up and stay awake until I started back up and got back on the road.

She did this each and every time I would stop and close my eyes. It was almost as if she was on guard duty. One time I was traveling in my car and stopped for a quick nap. Not sure how long I was sleeping but I awake to Trouble growling. There was a van parked next to me with some strange people walking around. This was the one and only time that she ever did this and for that matter never even barked when someone parked or walked past us. Needless to say, I wake wide awake and got back on the road and Trouble went right to sleep as normal. My Mom, whom I used to drive back and forth to Florida used to say that it was almost like she knew that it was her job to guard us when we stopped for a nap.

I have a rule that I live by. I may not like everyone that my Pup does but I make a point not to trust anyone that my Pups don't like.
I am a Retired U.S. Merchant Marine Chief Engineer
05 Chevy 2500 4x4 D/A with Helper Springs and Air Ride Air Bags
(06 R-Vision RW3360 Fifth Wheel Toy Hauler) - Totaled by Irma 2017
97 FLTCI converted into a Roadsmith Trike by The Trike Shop of Daytona

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our previous dog would NOT get out of truck unless she had gone for a ride so you never left a door or window open

Once we took a ride she would lay down in backseat at soon as we went above 45mph.
Drop below 45mph and she was up and alert to things going on
Speed back up above 45 mph....she would lay back down and not pay attention to anything going on.

THEY KNOW :B
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

punomatic
Explorer
Explorer
When I was a little guy, my dad belonged to a flying club. He would take me and my brother flying in a little Luscomb. I would fall asleep about the time we got to altitude. I slept soundly until we landed and the engine turned off. Then I woke right up. Same effect on the dogs, I imagine.
DW and Me
2016 Riverside White Water Retro 195
2014 Nissan Titan SL Crew Cab
Formerly, I used to work for the department of redundancy department.

Life in Black and Blue

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
The dogs probably associate the engine turning off with you getting out of the vehicle and hopefully they also get out!

That's what we think too. It's just funny how "trained" they are.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Interesting discovery.
Seems like just when we think we have them figured out, they surprise us.

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer