cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weigh Please help...

cpeebles
Explorer
Explorer
Any help would be greatly appreciated! Trying to make sure I am right but now thinking I might not be. The tale of the tape so to speak...

My Truck - 2017 Ford F350 Single Rear Wheel. Crew Cab (4 door) 4x4 6-3/4 bed Short bed. 3.55 rear end. Picture of my "tag in the door", pic of towing specs from Ford. 20" rear wheels. 6.7 L Diesel. TAG PICTURE

The 5th wheel 2012 Fuzion 310 Shipping weight 12,065 Carrying capacity 4,435 Hitch 2,770 Fuzion 310 specs

Off of Fords website... Ford Truck Specs of site

Finally, I highly doubt I will max the 4,435 carrying capacity. I am a solo traveler with two motorcycle with a COMBINED weight of 750 pounds. I will be out in Colorado (mtns) and Az in winter.

I am curious any feedback by the numbers and also real world experience. Thanks so much... I did not want a dually...:)

Cp
13 REPLIES 13

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you load 2100 lbs in the trailer ahead of the axles it will likely end up being mostly in the kitchen area where most of the weight will go onto the trailer axles. A good guess would be 1400 lbs on the axles and 700 on the pin. If you put a 1000 lbs in the garage all of that weight will end up on the trailer axles plus the 150 lbs that it takes off the king pin. Real rough your loaded trailer will put an additional 550 lbs on the king pin vs empty. So the pin weight might be 3300 loaded and empty around 3450...... perfect set up.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
cpeebles wrote:
Any help would be greatly appreciated! Trying to make sure I am right but now thinking I might not be. The tale of the tape so to speak...

My Truck - 2017 Ford F350 Single Rear Wheel. Crew Cab (4 door) 4x4 6-3/4 bed Short bed. 3.55 rear end. Picture of my "tag in the door", pic of towing specs from Ford. 20" rear wheels. 6.7 L Diesel. TAG PICTURE

The 5th wheel 2012 Fuzion 310 Shipping weight 12,065 Carrying capacity 4,435 Hitch 2,770 Fuzion 310 specs

Off of Fords website... Ford Truck Specs of site

Finally, I highly doubt I will max the 4,435 carrying capacity. I am a solo traveler with two motorcycle with a COMBINED weight of 750 pounds. I will be out in Colorado (mtns) and Az in winter.

I am curious any feedback by the numbers and also real world experience. Thanks so much... I did not want a dually...:)

Cp

A "regular" FW normally has between 20 and 25% pin wt. I would think a TH would be heavier =when empty=, since you have to counterbalance the toys' weight when loaded. Given a trailer GVW of 16,500, you're looking at a pin wt between 3,300 and 4,100+ lbs. Maybe doable with that truck, but I'd be loading the bikes cross-wise in the back to move as much weight as possible as far to the rear as you can =and= store as much "stuff" in the garage as possible (at least for travel). You'd be much better off, IMO, with a dually or a smaller FW. If you already have both, the =only= way you'll know your numbers is to take the combo to a scale empty, weight it all, axle-by-axle, then load it up like you'd be going camping, and re-weigh it. Your biggest payloads will be bikes, water and, assuming you have on-board gas for the toys, fuel. Depending on where these tanks are, you can also help balance the load out when you fill them (or not).

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Because you've already got the trailer and the truck I would just call it good. You're close to a perfect match with that combo.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Good point about toy weight in toy haulers. An empty toy hauler can have a higher pin weight than if you max the toys but otherwise travel light.

You are probably OK but since toy haulers are so variable depending on loading, I would seriously think about heading to the scale to verify.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
“Thanks again for the feed back.“ As in you are done, won’t weigh anything and will proceed?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Dayle1
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
You're close enough you probably would be wise to load up like you'd leave for a trip and run it over a scale, but my guess is you'll be just fine. Toy haulers tend to have pretty high carrying capacities so I don't think the general rule of thumb to assume full GVWR when figuring your numbers is necessarily accurate. If your only "toys" are 750 lbs of motorcycle I would question that you'd ever have 4500 lbs of stuff loaded in the trailer.

Actually, loading a bunch of stuff in the garage would help keep the loaded pin weight to a minimum and likely keep it from exceeding the truck's rear GAWR. I don't believe that the historical assumption of 20% - 25% of the trailer's GVWR being a good estimate of loaded pin weight is valid for toyhaulers.
Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'19 Starcraft Telluride 292RLS
Rig Photos

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
You're close enough you probably would be wise to load up like you'd leave for a trip and run it over a scale, but my guess is you'll be just fine. Toy haulers tend to have pretty high carrying capacities so I don't think the general rule of thumb to assume full GVWR when figuring your numbers is necessarily accurate. If your only "toys" are 750 lbs of motorcycle I would question that you'd ever have 4500 lbs of stuff loaded in the trailer.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Well I guessed your truck wt, as it left the factory,pretty close. It was 80 lbs heavier.

No, IMO, if you loaded the trailer to GVWR, you'd likely exceed the RAWR. In your case, a lighter load, no passengers/added gear, maybe future small dog, your truck may be a fit for this trailer. Like I mentioned, a scaled rear axle, with truck loaded will tell.

Jerry

cpeebles
Explorer
Explorer
troubledwaters wrote:
Need the info on the yellow sticker also.

My yellow sticker

Thanks for all the help when ya say close that is with the max cargo in the trailer? Again its me and a few motorcycles... dont even have a dog...yet.... so some tools in the truck and that is about it...

Thanks again for the feed back.

troubledwaters
Explorer II
Explorer II
Need the info on the yellow sticker also.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Real world experienced RVers don’t guess...they go to the scale.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
You did not show your door post tire loading/payload sticker, the one that says not to exceed xxxx. Going by your GVWR of 11,500, and actual truck weight of approx 8,000, you'd have a payload of about 3,500. You will be close to that, with LOADED hitch weight, maybe more?

Your RAWR of 7,230 is the most important number, along with actual tire max rating. If you weigh the truck rear axle, when full of fuel, hitch, you, and all gear, you can subtract the rear axle wt from the 7,230, to see what is left for pin wt of toy hauler.

You will likely be close to max, but the scale will tell.

Jerry

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Your looking at ficticous numbers. Weight the truck loaded ready to travel. Add 250 pounds for the hitch. Look at the trailers GVWR, not the mystical shipping weight. Using the average 20% of the trailers GVWR will give you the top end pin weight. Adding that to your trucks acaled weight plus hitch. Now are you over or under the trucks GVWR? That is your answer based on worst case.