cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

NL owners and others, will it fit?

Freeborn530
Explorer
Explorer
I've found a replacement camper for the destroyed Lance. It is a 2004 Northern Lite 10-2000. I have a 2006 2500 Dodge Ram long bed quad cab. Will it fit in the truck bed?
13 REPLIES 13

searun
Explorer
Explorer
Reddog1 wrote:
I wasn't too happy with the 2" foam. I tried it three different ways.

First I just ran it front to rear. I cut out for my 5th wheel rails. I used a 1/4" rubber mat on top. In a very short period of time, the foam started breaking down on the outside edges, due to the normal sway of the TC.

The second method I used was run the foam side to side. I used a 1/4" rubber mat on top. This moved the edge of the foam away from the edge of the TC. It was a lot better, but it still mashed a crease in the foam. The longer I left it, the greater the crease and the more the TC rocked.

Final method was a 2x4 frame laid flat, skinned with 1/2" plywood. I used the 2" foam as a filler. I used a 1/4" rubber mat on top. That worked pretty good.

Each method had lots parts to store when I unloaded the TC. The wind would blow them out if left in and/or they looked bad. I had a Stable Lift which really helped prevent movement of the TC. I did put a lot of city miles on my truck and TC due to my work commute. The foam could work for some folks, but for me it only worked for a short period of time.

Wayne

This is why Keith @ Northern Lite recommended a 1" sheet of plywood with a rubber mat on top when I bought our camper last fall.
They used to recommend the foam sheeting, but are moving away from that now.
2008 Northern Lite 8-11 Classic
2011 Chev 4x4 1Ton Diesel

Reddog1
Explorer
Explorer
I wasn't too happy with the 2" foam. I tried it three different ways.

First I just ran it front to rear. I cut out for my 5th wheel rails. I used a 1/4" rubber mat on top. In a very short period of time, the foam started breaking down on the outside edges, due to the normal sway of the TC.

The second method I used was run the foam side to side. I used a 1/4" rubber mat on top. This moved the edge of the foam away from the edge of the TC. It was a lot better, but it still mashed a crease in the foam. The longer I left it, the greater the crease and the more the TC rocked.

Final method was a 2x4 frame laid flat, skinned with 1/2" plywood. I used the 2" foam as a filler. I used a 1/4" rubber mat on top. That worked pretty good.

Each method had lots parts to store when I unloaded the TC. The wind would blow them out if left in and/or they looked bad. I had a Stable Lift which really helped prevent movement of the TC. I did put a lot of city miles on my truck and TC due to my work commute. The foam could work for some folks, but for me it only worked for a short period of time.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

AidenJ
Explorer
Explorer
no issues with my set up. 2014 ram longbed crew cab 2010 NL 10-2 CD. Everything stock except a heavy duty mat that NL recommends.
2014 Dodge Ram 3500 CC, CTD, SRW
2010 NORTHERN-LITE 10-2 SPECIAL EDITION)
Libby, 2 yr Boxer/Hound mix learning to travel

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
I use a 4x8 sheet of 2โ€ rigid pink foam insulation to raise my camper, it works great and weighs almost nothing.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

bcguy2
Explorer
Explorer
I have the 2004 NL and a 2008 dodge crew cab long box, camper fit's just fine. It's tight at the rear but has about 3/8 inch clear each side and I use 2 inch high density foam under it to clear the cab roof.

kbaum
Explorer
Explorer
You should be fine, you can see in my signature what I am running. I do have a rubber bed mat no need to raise my NL I have a basement. You dodge doesn't have the "extra curve" in the back of your bed like GM's do, one of the reasons I don't have a GM, presently.
2013 Northern Lite 10 cdse
2012 Dodge 3500 SRW 4x4 Cummins Crew Cab

Newmar Dutch Star 4018 (home)

searun
Explorer
Explorer
I would contact Keith at Northern Lite and ask him. They've always been responsive and helpful when I've had a question. He recommended a 1" sheet of plywood with a rubber bed mat on top of that for my setup, although it's different than yours.
2008 Northern Lite 8-11 Classic
2011 Chev 4x4 1Ton Diesel

deserteagle56
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have essentially the same setup as Reddog. But to get the rear doors to clear the camper (and to have more clearance over the cab for those times when I go boonyhopping) I have my camper sitting on a 3" spacer I built. Yes, the spacer is heavy - but the truck really doesn't seem to care.

1996 Bigfoot 2500 9.5 on a 2004 Dodge/Cummins dually

Reddog1
Explorer
Explorer
zcookiemonstar, thanks for the compliment.

I do not run the center caps, I prefer to have my nuts showing. Actually I removed the wheel liners since that photo and painted my wheels black. I did not like the black, and two days ago painted the wheels a dark metallic burnt copper with clear coat. I left the hubs and lug nuts black. It plan on using beauty rings only, for contrast and to hide balance weights. Makes airing tires easier and checking lug nut torque. And I do like the astics. I am not a chrome fan.

The two Horse Mats do add a lot of weight. There are no free rides, to raise the TC 1-1/2", it will require adding weight. The only real exception is using foam sheets. I tried and did not like the foam. With my TC and truck, the weight would pass the scrutiny of the Weight Police. There is a thread running where I have given some weight info on stall mats. It is available in different thicknesses.

1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

zcookiemonstar
Explorer
Explorer
Reddog1 wrote:
I think the only possible issue would be your having to raise the TC about 1-1/2" so the back doors will clear the TC overhang. The TC your considering may not have that problem.

I have a 2004 3500 Dodge Ram long bed quad cab with a 1988 Bigfoot. My Bigfoot has no basement. I use two layers of 3/4" Horse Stall Mat. One was not enough. On flat ground no problem, on a curb the top of the door would not clear. This photo is with the two layers of 3/4" Horse Stall Mats.

Nice looking rig. Do you not use the center caps on your wheels? I have thought about doing the opposite and just running the center caps so it is easier to check pressure.

I think two sets of horse stall mats would add a lot of extra weight.

Reddog1
Explorer
Explorer
I think the only possible issue would be your having to raise the TC about 1-1/2" so the back doors will clear the TC overhang. The TC your considering may not have that problem.

I have a 2004 3500 Dodge Ram long bed quad cab with a 1988 Bigfoot. My Bigfoot has no basement. I use two layers of 3/4" Horse Stall Mat. One was not enough. On flat ground no problem, on a curb the top of the door would not clear. This photo is with the two layers of 3/4" Horse Stall Mats.

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
I believe so as the DRW bed didn't change until 2013. That change only re-enforced the rear of the bed rail by angling it slightly, about 1" in on each side. This can would be the only dimension that you need to double check. My father's 1999 Bigfoot still cleared though even with it's wider area behind the wheel wells. The only other possible issue could be the bed rail height if yours is new enough to have the plastic cap, but again, something I don't think they did until 2013. This one is easy to fix with a 3/4" platform under the camper.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
Don't see why it wouldn't. It's a long bed. I have a 2003 10-2 NL and a 2016 long bed Chevy. It fits although a little tight.