cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Charging Chassis Batteries

sealevel_ram
Explorer
Explorer
Is it OK to hook up a battery charger to the bank of chassis batteries without disconnecting them?

I am plugged in to AC in my garage.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." Red Green
7 REPLIES 7

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
sealevel ram wrote:
Is it OK to hook up a battery charger to the bank of chassis batteries without disconnecting them?

THink about your HOUSE batteries.. The Converter is hooked up all the time and yes it is a battery charger.

The answer is Yes. it is OK with one exception.

Some chargers are designed to go as high as 16 volts or more in the "Desulfate" or "Equlize" mode.. You might consider disconnecting under those conditions.. But anything under 15 volts leave it connected.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes OK to use small automatic charger.
Although I recommend the Trik-L-Start combiner that will pull off the house battery when charging voltage is present.

centerline
Explorer
Explorer
the answer is YES. it is ok to do it that way...
it doesnt matter how many chargers one wants to connect, ALL chargers have built in regulators that will prevent one charger from damaging another... your unit is NOT a sailboat, but for the sake of explaination, we will use a boat as an example here..
its normal and common on sailboats to have an engine driven alternator, a shore power charger, and a solar array all connected into the system at the same time...
and they may all be working at the same time, but whichever charger is putting out the most amps is the dominant charger, and the others will automatically shut down...
when that dominant charger shuts off or quits working for some reason, the next most powerful charger will automatically wake up and take its place...

and if one chooses to connect ANOTHER charger into the system, it doesnt matter because the chargers know what to do... no worries.
2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
2014 Ram 3500 CC/LB, 6.7 Cummins
2004 Polaris Sportsman 700
2005 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
1979 Bayliner 2556 FB Convertible Cruiser
Heavy Equipment Repair & Specialty Welding...

gutfelt
Explorer
Explorer
sealevel ram wrote:

assuming your on board converter does not charge them then absolutely OK hook up a charger to chassis batterys without disconnecting them
If equipped with a disconnect switch I would turn it off

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes. I installed a small automatic battery charger on my last rig.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
sealevel ram wrote:

you wrote 'chassis batteries' which to most of us means the engine or starting battery. if you mean that then most of the RVs with which I am familiar do not charge the chassis battery(ies) when the RV is plugged into shore power. hence your question. I'm pretty sure the answer is yes simply because when I need to charge the battery in my jeep I just hook up a charger and let 'er rip. I know the techs at my service garage disconnect a battery before applying the charger.

if you meant the bank of coach batteries (the batteries that supply 12v power to your interior lights, furnace fan, etc. then those batteries should be charged or charging when you're hooked up to shore power, running the genny or parked in the sun (if you have solar panels). is charging not taking place??
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
sealevel ram wrote:

Aren't you charging already if plugged in to AC?
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed