cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Flying J RV Fuel Lanes

golfknut
Explorer
Explorer
I noticed a Flying J we want to stop at next month has 2 RV fuel lanes off to the side of the regular vehicle pump area.
Are these RV lanes diesel fuel only or do they also have regular gas available?
2018 Newmar Canyon Star 3513
17 REPLIES 17

AstroRig57
Explorer
Explorer
golfknut wrote:
I noticed a Flying J we want to stop at next month has 2 RV fuel lanes off to the side of the regular vehicle pump area.

As others have noted, gas and diesel. I've never seen one without both.

We make good use of them while on long trips and it's certainly better than trying to navigate into the passenger car pumps. A couple of the Pilot-Flying J's we frequent have it all in one place. Gas, diesel, propane, dump station....and big grassy island on which the dogs can take a "break" while I'm fueling. I just wish other users of the facility would diligently pick up their dog waste like we do.

We're pleased to see that the Pilot being built near our community, and scheduled to open December 1, has the RV lanes as well.
2005 Winnebago Sightseer WFD30B "rigged for night" with red LED lighting for night adapted vision.

Do you remember when the sky was dark, and the stars were bright?
The International Dark-Sky Association
American by birth...Scottish by the Grace Of God.

xctraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Flying J fan here! For 11 years we used the RV islands to gas our coaches. Yes exiting could get interesting if people parked "funny". Now with a DP we fuel on the truck side. It is usually much easy to get in and get out. The nozzles are much bigger and the pumps faster. The difference could be more than 10 minutes.Although there is DEF at the pump, my filler is on the passenger side and all the DEF hoses are on the driver side ๐Ÿ˜ž going through wrong way is not a good idea if the fueling area is busy.
Paul
2012 Phaeton 36QSH on Freightliner Chassis with a Cummins 380 pushing it. 2011 Cherry Red Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with US Gear Unified Tow Brake System. Check out my blog
FMCA 352081 SKP# 99526

afrescopXx
Explorer
Explorer
When we were RVing and owned a MH we almost always bought our gas at Flying J. I did encounter a couple where the turn out from the RV island was tight but it was always completed easily. When traveling I would plan our scheduled stops at Flying Js if they were not too close or too far from the last FJ. They were safe, clean and most had edible food....think roller hot dogs. ๐Ÿ™‚

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
rk911 wrote:

generally, yes. every now and then we run into an older FJ that has gas only in those lanes but it is really rare. you may run into a FJ here and there that has aux fuel pumps on one side of the lane. if you do and your filler tube is on that side here's how to use them.

- each pump will have a number. at the regular pump swipe your loyalty card (if you have one) and your payment card or pre-pay inside. when you're told to 'start fueling' lift the nozzle out of the holder and set it on the ground.

- at the corresponding auxiliary pump (it'll have the same number as the regular pump) on the other side lift the nozzle, engage the pump by lifting the handle and dispense your fuel.

- when done, replace the nozzle in the aux pump and then the regular pump.

we still see this setup but it's getting pretty rare.

So thats how those work. I tried to use one, but couldn't figure it out, so just left and went to truck lanes.

Now I know,.. Thanks

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

Jim_Norman
Explorer
Explorer
Downside is just like a 'regular gas station' they don't have DEF at the RV islands. Otherwise generally no issue. I use FJ with the charge card, get 8 cents off cash price. YES you can get fuel cheaper, but you can park overnight at most FJ and they usually have a Denny's or similar. as well as being easy in and out.
2016 Tiffin Allegro Red 38QBA
2008 Jeep Liberty (aka FireToad)

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Both Diesel and Gas (All 3 flavors) at those islands.. The only issue is with exiting.. I drive a 38' house with towed and sometimes the exit is a bit...er... Tricky.

NOTE you can also use the regular Auto pumps if you drive a gasser.

Note 2: If you happen to spend Halloween night at the Flying J in Walton KY.. And you happen to be Catholic.. ALL SAINTS CATHOLIC CHURCH.. That's the steeple you can see across the freeway from the Auto/RV pumps. (Very handy)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

golfknut
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks.
Yes, it's gas I need.

I checked this Flying J on Google satellite and the RV lanes appear to have easy access and exit.

It's always nice when the highway exit you plan to overnight at has a good option for fueling up also.
2018 Newmar Canyon Star 3513

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
golfknut wrote:

It sounds like you are looking for regular gas and the answer is that these are the RV lanes specifically designed for gas RVs as well as pickup with smaller fuel tanks. So, if you are a gas RVer or a diesel pickup RVer then this is where you want to go. If you are a diesel motorhome with a big fuel tank then you want to go to the truck lanes.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Depending upon the station they can have diesel, gas, propane, sewer and water.

All they need is electric for a full service camp site. :B
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
I always go to the truck lanes. Never had an issue. I converse with the truckers and have no issues at all.
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
East Denver Flying J Aurora RV lanes have diesel, gas, LP, and dump station, and yes, if someone at the store parks funny it is tough to get out.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Isaac-1
Explorer
Explorer
Just be aware those RV lanes may not be all they are cracked up as being, I stopped at one Flying J in Wyoming last summer with an RV island by the automotive island and access pulling through was tight to say the least.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
Every one that I have used are both gas and diesel with pumps on each side.

generally, yes. every now and then we run into an older FJ that has gas only in those lanes but it is really rare. you may run into a FJ here and there that has aux fuel pumps on one side of the lane. if you do and your filler tube is on that side here's how to use them.

- each pump will have a number. at the regular pump swipe your loyalty card (if you have one) and your payment card or pre-pay inside. when you're told to 'start fueling' lift the nozzle out of the holder and set it on the ground.

- at the corresponding auxiliary pump (it'll have the same number as the regular pump) on the other side lift the nozzle, engage the pump by lifting the handle and dispense your fuel.

- when done, replace the nozzle in the aux pump and then the regular pump.

we still see this setup but it's getting pretty rare.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

sealevel_ram
Explorer
Explorer
We usually use the truck pumps if there is not a big line.
Much easier to get in and out, and the pumps are much faster.

But, the dump stations are usually near the RV pumps if you need to use one.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." Red Green