cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery box filling up with water.

StarcraftNick
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought an auxiliary battery for my starcraft and when going to put it in, the battery box was full of water. I am guessing it is coming in through the vents in the top. I am scared to but the battery in if this is happening. would it make sense to drill holes in the bottom to make sure it leaks out? Has anyone come across this with a better solution? thanks.
19 REPLIES 19

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Not me, I punched holes in mine just to be different. LOL

cooperrobt
Explorer
Explorer
Had the same problem. I also had a boat and the battery box in a boat is usually stored where rain will not fall on top of it. Just drill a couple of holes and the water will drain out.

cooperrobt
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
Years ago there were two types of boxes, the ones with top vents and closed bottoms were for marine use. The opposite type was for outdoor use such as RVโ€™s. Since the end users didnโ€™t have a clue, the correct boxes ceased production.

Drill drain holes where they are away from the frame and seal the vent holes.

Mark_and_Linda
Explorer
Explorer
Drill some holes! I always pull my battery box and check underneath for corrosion. Check the screws or bolts also that hold the box in....
Mark

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I went 5 years with no box for the dual batteries on my old pop-up.
Did have terminal boots to prevent short circuit.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
The primary purpose of the battery box is to shield the posts from shorted circuits and the battery itself from impacts, drill the bottom.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Check the box on your tow vehicle if concerned about corrosive stuff.
Don't use a box on your trailer if you think that's a valid comparison.

Pauljdav
Explorer
Explorer
My brand new trailer battery boxes came with holes on the bottom.

I drilled holes on my last one.

You could always drill holes a couple of inches below the top of the battery.

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
As mentioned drilling holes in the bottom only allows any acid residue to corrode the tongue and tongue battery tray and there is plenty of venting where the cables go between the box and lid. During heavy rains for several days my battery boxes would fill with water. I put Eternabond over the vent holes on the tops after cleaning around them with acetone. No more water accumulating anymore. I did have to replace the Eternabond after about 3 or 4 years.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Years ago there were two types of boxes, the ones with top vents and closed bottoms were for marine use. The opposite type was for outdoor use such as RVโ€™s. Since the end users didnโ€™t have a clue, the correct boxes ceased production.

Drill drain holes where they are away from the frame and seal the vent holes.

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't understand why those boxes don't come with weep holes.

Every so often this same post comes up, and the answer is everyone drills holes in them.

Jack L
Jack & Nanci

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check the box on your tow vehicle if concerned about corrosive stuff.

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
I had a battery box with small vents on the top, where water could get in. But why they had vents at all was the great question - it wasn't a sealed box by any means, and plenty of room around where the cables when in, even around the edge of the lid. I just sealed the top vents up with caulk.

Battery box is supposed to keep the corrosive stuff in - I wouldn't drill drainholes.

jjjandrbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™ve had this problem in two battery boxes. I just flipper them over and drilled holes. Solved the problem.
Jim Baker
San Antonio, TX
travel blog and photos