cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Noisy

GHOST1750
Explorer
Explorer
The Tradewinds has developed a very loud noise, hard to describe. Sounds like an exhaust noise. All pressures, temps are ok. No loss of power, sound driving me crazy, there is a smell and when we arrived at our destination the jacks don't work and there is no power to the bedroom and TV's. I am running the CAT 330 and just recently had the catalectic converter replaced. When sitting still there is no unusual noise unless I accelerate. I crawled underneath while it was running, nothing unusual. I am now at Pismo Sands RV resort in Pismo Beach, Ca.

The longer I own an RV the more I wonder the sanity of those who own them.
Just Don and a Chiuahua called Dulce
2003 39' Tradewinds LE
2002 Cavalier tow
Korean Veteran, USAF
FMCA F357981
CC4C
GOOD SAM

Life is a journey, not a destination !
12 REPLIES 12

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
mike brez wrote:
jplante4 wrote:
Sounds like a turbo pipe came off and is frying something.

He said no loss of power in first post. Turbo pipe off big time no power.

Maybe, but we had a 450 HP Cummins DP in the shop last month where the turbo OUTLET pipe disconnected and basically melted the house batteries and his first indication of a problem was the inverter wouldn't power the TV.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:

He said no loss of power in first post. Turbo pipe off big time no power.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

11178adm
Explorer
Explorer
yes 3126/c7 cat engines of the 2003 vintage do use a catalytic converter no they do not have EGR or selective catalyst reduction (SCR) or a diesel particulate filter (DPF)
If the tube between the air cleaner and engine is off and or melted it could be the source of the noise and needs to be repaired to keep dirt out of the engine but more important fix the the problem that caused the tube to melt, probably a leaking exhaust, also check the tubes and hoses between the turbo and the charge air cooler (CAC) and the CAC back to the engine, a small leak on these can make a lot of noise under a full load condition

gutfelt
Explorer
Explorer
GHOST1750 wrote:
Got no indication on instrument t panel that anything was amiss only the sound.

you will not have a catalectic converter on a 2003 cat diesel engine

GHOST1750
Explorer
Explorer
Got no indication on instrument t panel that anything was amiss only the sound.
2003 39' Tradewinds LE
2002 Cavalier tow
Korean Veteran, USAF
FMCA F357981
CC4C
GOOD SAM

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
I regress. I see you have a 2003 coach so no DEF injection but you do have EGR and you do have a particulate reduction system that needs cleaned out or the cannister exchanged when the exhaust backpressure warrants it (you get a 'check light on your instrument cluster.

With a tier 4 non DEF engine as with a compliant engine, underhood (or under the bedroom in the case of a pusher) engine temps are higher due to the EGR and you must be doubly sure all the cable routing as well as plastic parts and hoses are well clear of the EGR plumbing because the plumbing is at exhaust gas temperatures when the engine is operating.

With a Tier 4 final engine, the underhood temps are even higher because the selective catalytic reduction components operate in the excess of 1100 degrees.

Why engine manufacturers have gone to ceramic engine components and changed the airflow patterns. Heat kills any engine so it must be properly managed.

I'd still take it in and have it plugged in and the ECM read. Just looking underneath tells you very little (other than if a physical component got to close to the heat producing exhaust system.

My 2 cents and what I'd do if I were you.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

htowners
Explorer
Explorer
Per his signature, it's an '03 which is a bit before any of the more stringent emissions as far as I am aware.
But what do I know as I have always had gasser's.
2008 Tiffin Allegro Bay 38TGB
2005 Saturn Vue
Stella and Luna, our 2 shelter rescues

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
Ok, when did diesel get a cat converter? Is this part of the DEF emissions control?

I was bout to comment as well. Compliant diesels don't have catalytic converters, the have selective catalytic reduction units that uses DEF (urea) to change the oxides to harmless compounds.

Sounds to me like you need to take the coach to a competent authorized repair facility and have it plugged in and diagnosed concerning the issue.

Off hand I'd say it's a dosing issue concerning DEF injection but the ONLY way to know is have it plugged in and the ECM read for issues.

Over dosing has a 'sweet smell' that lingers around the exhaust system. if thats what you smell anyway.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

GHOST1750
Explorer
Explorer
About 6 months ago...I just went out and opened the air cleaner compartment and there is a lot of melted area there The flex tube going to the air cleaner is off also. UI melted some wiring to my jacks.
2003 39' Tradewinds LE
2002 Cavalier tow
Korean Veteran, USAF
FMCA F357981
CC4C
GOOD SAM

MrWizard
Ok, when did diesel get a cat converter? Is this part of the DEF emissions control?
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
I'd suggest you crawl under there again with the engine off and see if the catalytic converter replacement caused a wiring cable to be removed and rerouted in a way that puts it on top or too near an exhaust pipe or device. And melted it. Or perhaps a tech disconnected a connector under there.

The noise may be due to an exhaust system clamp not properly tightened or may be missing a clamp. Harmonic resonances can be very loud as the engine is accelerating or has reached a sustained speed.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.