cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Have You Tested the Class As or Cs built with Hybrid Motors?

Chainwright
Explorer
Explorer
This is a Class A or C question. AS always I encourage global participation, because you may know someone or of someone, or you may have a friend or friend of a friend. You get the gist.
Has Anyone ever tested a Class A or C with a Hybrid motor (like a Prius or chevy Volt). I know in 2009 Fleetwood and Winnebago were toying with the Idea and a Frightliner (Fred) Hybrid chassis was developed. I think a few came out in 2014.
107 REPLIES 107

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Jeepers. Stop watching a thread after a couple of pages and it goes to heck in a hand basket.

CLOSED
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Kenz71
Explorer
Explorer
At some point the current setup, large engine + transmission + house batteries + generator, will be less efficient vs larger generator(s) & larger batteries. At that time we will start seeing more hybrids less conventional setups.

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
THere a couple of articles floating around out there on Mercedes announcement olast week of electrifying all their commercial vans. Although these are meant for city delivery and the 150km range would be inadequate for a Motorhome I can see a company like road trek requesting 400 -600 km versions for a Motorhome base. I think that the first Electric EVโ€™s May show themselves there as the charging infrastructure is already established in the form of level 2 and 3 charging infrastructure which is starting to grow rapidly.

JMHO.
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Aaaaaa Chainwright I gave you a link to what you asked; an EV motorhome. Check it out; it might be right up your alley when and if they build it. What more do you want?
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Chainwright
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
OP, here is a all electric MH for you. Of course, just like the Tesala roadster it's just a concept vehicle and nobody knows when or even if it's going to be built. Then again with only 100 HP and a range of 100 miles you better not be in a hurry when on vacation.

4x4 I didn't twist anything. You used the words of "ANY internal combustion engine" not me. In fact, you were the one who cap'ed the letters not me. So I showed you an ICE. Simple hu?

If we are talking about "motor vehicles" so be it. Here is my "motor vehicle" example. Where is your electric motor vehicle example that will beat 800 ft/lbs or torque. (And this is low, I could pick a Cat C16 with thousands of ft/lbs of torque.) And remember, that's straight off of the engine and not through a gear box and rear end. Torque to the tires on an ICE is thousands of Ft/lbs; unlike an electric vehicle which has no torque multiplication because they have no gears.

You can say Tesla has the fastest accelerating vehicle all you want but it's not true. "When" they start producing them and "if" they are faster than the Demon then and only then can you and Tesla make that claim. See how that works? Here is the fastest production electric car in the 1/4 mile. A totally gutted P100 Tesla. The fastest he turned was a 10.41 at 125 mph.

like I said above. I will show you a picture of my car only if you agree to not snivel. If you agree not to snivel I will post a picture. I will believe you if you say you won't. Just type "I promise not to snivel about your car" and I will post a picture. Simple hu?

Hmm, Turtle, I thought I was the "OP" of this Thread. And it was about Hybrids and EV's in relation to class A's (and B's and C's). It really had nothing to do with strict ICE's, or drag racing or production sedans/coups/hatchbacks/sports cars altered and tweaked after acquisition.
You seem to be good a derailing and deflecting and going off on tangents. Why don't you create a thread about ICE's and EV cars (sedans, coups, sport coups, hatchbacks, fast backs, SUV's), instead of trying to hijack others' threads?

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
OP, here is a all electric MH for you. Of course, just like the Tesala roadster it's just a concept vehicle and nobody knows when or even if it's going to be built. Then again with only 100 HP and a range of 100 miles you better not be in a hurry when on vacation.

4x4 I didn't twist anything. You used the words of "ANY internal combustion engine" not me. In fact, you were the one who cap'ed the letters not me. So I showed you an ICE. Simple hu?

If we are talking about "motor vehicles" so be it. Here is my "motor vehicle" example. Where is your electric motor vehicle example that will beat 800 ft/lbs or torque. (And this is low, I could pick a Cat C16 with thousands of ft/lbs of torque.) And remember, that's straight off of the engine and not through a gear box and rear end. Torque to the tires on an ICE is thousands of Ft/lbs; unlike an electric vehicle which has no torque multiplication because they have no gears.

You can say Tesla has the fastest accelerating vehicle all you want but it's not true. "When" they start producing them and "if" they are faster than the Demon then and only then can you and Tesla make that claim. See how that works? Here is the fastest production electric car in the 1/4 mile. A totally gutted P100 Tesla. The fastest he turned was a 10.41 at 125 mph.

like I said above. I will show you a picture of my car only if you agree to not snivel. If you agree not to snivel I will post a picture. I will believe you if you say you won't. Just type "I promise not to snivel about your car" and I will post a picture. Simple hu?
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
qtla9111 wrote:
A guy on YouTube got a great deal on a Prius with a dead battery pack. He shows how he rebuilt the battery pack on the cheap. Great video.

FWIW
CarGuru on YT bought salvage title Tesla and took it all appart,fixed and got it running again..not sure what it cost him though..

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
John & Angela wrote:
A little acceleration footage of the Tesla semi. Kinda cool.

If you watch carefully you'll see and hear the traction control make a correction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBiUkiic_cI

Thats quite a mover,,I want a motorhome with that drivetrain..:B

https://electrek.co/2017/11/22/tesla-semi-expected-price-electric-truck/

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
A guy on YouTube got a great deal on a Prius with a dead battery pack. He shows how he rebuilt the battery pack on the cheap. Great video.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

Chainwright
Explorer
Explorer
Well Mr Wiz, I Totally but respectfully disagree. You got your opinion and I got mine and you ain't God. LOL j/k.
I read about Frightliner's FRED too and that was one of the reasons I asked the question. But maybe, Just Maybe, there was someone out there that knew a little more about the subject. A few months back I read from a guy here on the internet who spoke of the Lee Bros. Bob and Ron. He gave some detailed info, but nothing "controversial." So, you never know who you might bump into, even on the internet or Camp sites. Ta ta

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
A little acceleration footage of the Tesla semi. Kinda cool.

If you watch carefully you'll see and hear the traction control make a correction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBiUkiic_cI
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
This much more interesting than tire pressures, weight slips, and whether it's OK to travel with the propane on. ๐Ÿ™‚
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

MrWizard
i'm also retired,

and things you said are possible, there could be a drinking buddy of somebody in the know on here

but you missed the point of what i said

if you were the buddy of somebody in the know, a ceo or engineer of some firm developing a hybrid RV or other tech

would you betray that friendship, that confidence my posting that info on a public forum ?

that was the point i was making, IF it was in public to be demoed, test driven, shown off
the word would be out there, there would be a note on the web someplace, probably several places

if it exists in secret or being developed
the ones that know are not talking

and you asked a very specific question, which has not been answered

discussion is good, but anybody who might be able to answer your original question is NOT going too, without betraying said confidence, they are insider who can NOT Publicly acknowledge having driven said vehicle, if it could be acknowledged, there would be something to find

thats why i said it was a naive question, if there is NO public info to be found, those 'in the know' are not going to discuss it on a public forum

Thanksgiving was nice.. Good day to you too

back in 2009 freightliner announced it was developing a electric diesel hybrid with a cummins 6.7 engine, the ECOFRED
winniebago built a test prototype RV and a family was going to drive it across the midwest testing it

NO subsequent info was ever published and freightliner dropped the idea
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
MNGeeks61 wrote:
John & Angela wrote:
MNGeeks61 wrote:
I'm just sitting back and watching everyone play semantics...

Can you buy a Tesla Roadster, right NOW? No? Then it is NOT the world's fastest production car... yet.

The guy on the Tesla Racing channel has a GUTTED car P100D with one racing seat and AWD. Thing weighs about 4700 lbs. Yes, it's impressive for short bursts, but he DOES lose to some cars once they catch up to him ๐Ÿ™‚

I am curious as I haven't seen it, but how often do you think he needs to recharge after about 6 passes at full acceleration? I think he drops about 25% of his capacity, I'd have to go look at his vids again.

Thing is, some people are so gung-ho about the electric car they can't face reality. I love electric cars and electric golf carts, just go look on Youtube for a 72 or 144v golf cart that broke the 100 mph barrier. I think it was from Plum Quick Motors.

too many reality checks. we certainly do need increased capacity on the grid, already having brownouts, there are issues to be solved. Once that's done, then the next hurdle, making an electric car more affordable in the long term than an ICE.

Yep, it's just too bad I can't afford a Volt or a Leaf or Bolt for $40k... when a Santa Fe sport fully loaded goes for around 33k (that's my wife's car, a 2013) and gets around 28 mpg highway/24 mixed. Not bad at all.

Oh well, I'm happy to watch and hope but I'm a realist. Given Tesla's record...

oh, and someone else in this thread spouted "1/3 cars sold is electric", nah. 88 million cars produced worldwide. 2016 saw 570,000 electric cars sold in the US. Could be wrong, but that's not 33%. The actual stat was comparing electric vehicles sold in the US with # of electric vehicles globally I think. Someone can google it.

Good morning. Some good points but the pricing is off. Basic leaf starts at 29,900. Basic bolt around 37,000. Thatโ€™s with no incentives etc. Basic Tesla Model 3 35000 but youโ€™ll have to stand in line for that one. The first model 3โ€™ going to customers now are loaded all wheel drive, premium package etc, around 50 grand. Remember also that EVโ€™s have lower maintenance and operating costs. Both ICE and EVโ€™s have their pros and cons. Donโ€™t buy an ice if you need the advantage of an EV. Donโ€™t buy an EV if you need the advantages of an ICE.

John.

Basic = no AWD and not even cruise control. And I would REALLY prefer a Tesla 3, but since the incentives are already gone AFAIK it's not likely to happen for me. I'd love to see lower costs and I know it'll take some time. Hoping in 10 years I'll have a different lifestyle and could really use an EV for running around town.

Yes, as stated I love electric vehicles/golf carts, I have to remind my neighbors with their gas cart that his engine will cost $1000 to replace while the only three major things on the electric carts are batteries, controller, and motor itself. And they are much easier to work on. On that you'll get no disagreement from me.

Frankly I'm frustrated with the glacial pace of technology when it comes to this. I grew up reading Scientific American and couldn't wait for the electric car that took 2 decades longer that I thought it should've ๐Ÿ™‚ So if anyone has any ideas on how to really appeal to the consumer so they WANT an EV over an ICE let me know.

I'll agree that both types of vehicles have their pros and cons. Heck, just get me a hybrid F-150 that'll tow 9,000 lbs and doesn't come in with a GVWR over 10,000 lbs...haha, I'm dreaming now.

Make the demand greater, Tesla has started that ball rolling, just fantastic. Now come up with supply and people will want them more. I'd think the market would be much better with lower prices, competition is good for most everyone.

Off topic - For a while, I tried to find a 3rd gen Prius cheap (under 3k) to use as a commuter vehicle but not much luck. Finally I had to settle on a rusty ICE that gets 24 MPG for $700. But I keep looking for a Gen 2 or 3 prius. Those apparently had good battery banks that would likely last 300k-400k miles with good maintenance.

I hear ya. There are some good deals on the first generation 2011 2012 leafs. They had issues with high heat locations and battery degradation but just for running around town 40 or 50 miles you can get them for under 6000 grand.

Hooe you get that pickup someday.

John.