cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Detour around Boise via SR 95 & 78

Community Alumni
Not applicable
We're heading south from BC and usually travel I-84 thru Ore and Idaho to Twin Falls. We're finding the traffic on I-84 before and thru Boise is insane and dangerous. I wonder whether a detour via SR 95 at I-84/SR95 junction then south on SR95 to Marsing then SR78 from Marsing to Grandview, then SR167 to Mountain Home (where there's an excellent RV park) would be an acceptable and safe option. Time of travel would be early Nov southbound, then late March returning to BC via same northbound detour via Mountain Home, Grandview, Marsing then up to I-84 via US95.
26 REPLIES 26

Good_Sam_Care_T
Explorer
Explorer
To All,

Thank you for your time and interest in this thread. Upon the request on the OP this thread will be closed at this time. Thank you again for all your time.

Thank you,

Mark
Good Sam Care Team

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Thank you 2gypsies for your reply to my question, and paulj too.

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Any post mentioning heavy traffic or bad roads is likely to generate 'you think that's bad ...' responses.

I've only driven I84 through Boise once, when I was pushing on to Utah (and spent the night in Twin Falls). Other times in the area I bypassed the city by going through the mountains to the north (Stanley). And one time I was seeking out wild-stuff along the east side of Oregon, and only stopped in Ontario for gas and groceries. And later drove into the SW corner of Idaho (Silver City) from Jordan Valley

I was wondering whether ID 78 was any more scenic, so took a Streetview, and my first try turned up this passing shot - of a triple trailer truck loaded with hay. But no other passing traffic for miles.

https://goo.gl/maps/GMMwoJdkDaR2

I can see myself taking 78 across this part of Idaho, not so much to avoid the freeway, but because I like driving across miles of nowhere.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Insane & dangerous would be the Washington Beltway. Over an hour on a Sunday to get around half of it.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
PenceKate wrote:
Thanks TUCWALA for a little understanding. I was starting to feel a bit beat up by previous replies..........So, because we have the time to take a detour, it seemed to make sense to check into that option, hence my original post.

Sorry OP that you drew such a tough crowd! Since you're asking about the planned route and not about opinions on whether Boise traffic is good or bad, and as you state, since you have the time to take a detour and you don't like driving through Boise, I'll say that your alternate route is a good one.

It's all two-lane and you will see very few vehicles because it's not thru a heavily populated area. You'll have no mountainous driving... it's flat with some farmlands. Keep in mind that there are few services but then, it's not a long drive.

If you're ready to stop around 95/I-84 at Caldwell, Ambassador RV is an excellent park with huge sites and all pull-thrus. Check first to make sure they're open in November. In March they probably will be, for sure.

Have a good trip!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
PenceKate wrote:
.... In our recent drive along I-84 through Boise (which highway is fine, it's just the other drivers), we came upon a transport with a VERY wide load, my driver carefully passed it. Shortly after, he commented to me that he couldn't believe his eyes because in his rear view mirror, the driver of that very same VERY WIDE load had pulled out and was passing a long transport truck and there appeared to be only inches between them,....

Most likely both trucks were passing through, not local. Such a passing situation could have happened on any urban stretch of freeway.

Several years ago there was a bridge collapse north of Seattle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I-5_Skagit_River_Bridge_collapse#Incident

The collapse was caused by a southbound semi-trailer truck from Canada hauling an oversize load to Vancouver, Washington, ....all trucks with oversize loads are expected to travel in the inside lane where the clearance is around 17 feet. The oversize truck instead entered the bridge in the outer lane, while a second semi-truck and a BMW were passing it in the inner lane.

Note it was an out of state (country!) truck that hit the bridge.

donkeydew
Explorer
Explorer
boise has the most courteous driver of any major city in the west including our northern neighbors.

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Insane and dangerous would be Las Vegas.

Or Phoenix
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
According to IDOT (and google maps traffic) there's some sort of bridge closure this month where US95 heads south from US20/26 (Parma). And detours.

jesseannie
Explorer
Explorer
I think there are rude inconsiderate drivers everywhere. I have lived in Boise a little over a year and find it to be a little less rude and more considerate than other places we have lived.
The freeway is busy east bound in the am and west bound in the pm. But most of time I drive it it is easy.
There are some short entries and exits but I don't think they are unsafe.
I hope you find a comfortable way to get through this area. If I see you trying to merge I will do my best to move over as always.
Jesseannie

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's US95, not SR95 (a shield outline). Fortunately federal and state highway numbers don't usually overlap. But it helps to be clear.

Without looking on the map, I knew there was a US95 crossing NS along the west side of Idaho. SR95 didn't ring a bell.

SR55 has a reputation for being one of the more dangerous roads in the state. But different parts have different problems. SR55 north of Boise has high speed careless Boise drivers rushing to vacation spots around McCall. SR55 west of Boise has problems with a city growing out into farm country, and lots of cross traffic. I don't know if those problems extend down to the Marsing area and US95.

http://itd.idaho.gov/d3/?target=corridor%20studies

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
I was suggesting that you time your drive through around the peak commute times. We have arrived home during peak commute times and it can be challenging but is doable. I've found that for the most part the drivers here are courteous and will let you in.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

doc_brown
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Insane and dangerous would be Las Vegas.

Yes! Boise is a breeze.b
Steve,Kathy and Josh
Morpheus(Basenji)at Rainbow Bridge
2004 40' TSDP Country Coach Inspire DaVinci
350 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S, Air Force One Braking, Blue Ox

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
Why post your personal experiences and thoughts when so many on this forum don't have the sense to accept those thoughts and just keep "arguing"!!! Just sayin!! So here is my "argument":

As to slowing to allow merging, it's not the vehicle on the hwy that has the burden of yielding, it's the "merger" in any state. So some think that a 54 ft long tow and trailer locked in the right lane with vehicles right behind and along side should "slow" when a "merger" comes jamming down the lane. Yes, you can and maybe is best to, move to the left lane, but when you have no way to do that, do you slam on your brakes to give the other idiot the right of way???? How many accidents on the freeway are caused by that? Used to have yield signs on the on ramps to remind the "merger" of his responsibilities. Guess the big city drivers don't need to follow the normal, safe practices. Always in a hurry!!!
'16 Outdoors Timber Ridge 280RKS
Reese 1700# Trunnion w/ DualCam HP
'03 EXCURSION XLT V10 4.30 Axles