cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

24k+ GVW 5er vs Class A?

ToddD
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious why this class of 5er really exists?

When you get to that weight of a 5er, you start seeing Heavy Duty cabs towing them with on-board Smart Cars.

What is the allure of that size of 5er over a full size Class A?

Combined price would be about the same. Square footage about the same.

But dealing with the "toad" has to be a ton easier with the Class A, as well as the ability to have a larger toad (can't load up a Jeep on the back of an HD cab).

I love doing online tours of these Luxe, DRV, and Landmark 5ers, but since they really are beyond the capability of a pickup, I wonder in what areas they really have an advantage over a full size Class A?
Todd
2018 Jayco 377RLBH
2019 Ford F-450 Platinum
13 REPLIES 13

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Cost. A used HDT converted can still only cost around 50K. Less than a new decked out dually. Those luxury fivers run around 125K for 40 feet of living space. A 45 foot luxury pusher doesnt start till a half a mil.

Well said!
Except "half a mil" may be a gross *understatement*, depending on brand, etc...:W

The Smart cars on the decks of HDTs are used as they can be loaded
from the side, and meet the width requirement.

There *ARE* HDT owners who load jeeps, etc. on the deck of HDTs, which
usually remain tandem (due to the load). The vehicle must then be loaded from the rear.

and.....that HDT will tow anything you want - and blow past the DP motor homes - as well as being serviced at any truck facility.
Not so for the MH.

~

retispcsi
Explorer
Explorer
X2 with Cummins 12v98. We travel a lot as full timers over 35,000 on the fiver in my sig over 70,000 on TV got at same time. These rigs are not the same as a decade or so ago. They travel great 26 states last summer. So pick your poison.
2015 Mobile Suites 38 RSSA. 2014 Ram CC DRW 4x4 60 gal RDS Aisin 4:10.
DW, Shadow, Remington and Ron. Living the good life till the next one arrives.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I can tow any fully loaded DRV within axle and combined weight ratings of my little RAM Dually.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

neal10a
Explorer
Explorer
Class A are more road worthy, but are not good at sitting in one place for a long period of time. 5th wheel or any trailer are better at extended stay for that reason.

Jim-Linda
Explorer
Explorer
djousma wrote:
Second Chance wrote:
djousma wrote:
... I've yet to see someone with a 5er taking along a smart car. Not saying its not true, but I'd say rare. No need for a toad when you have your truck.

Don't know where you've been hiding. We - and many other full-timers we know - have a small car in addition to the truck we use to tow the fiver. Many have medium or heavy duty trucks (i.e. the Freightliner SportsChassis/M2 or Volvo 740 or the like) and put the SmartCar behind the cab. I have seen and spoken with several, though, who double tow behind an MDT or HDT and a Mobile Suites (a Jeep, in one case). Others of us - probably the majority who have two vehicles - have the second person (usually the wife) follow in the car on travel days. In our case, my wife tags along in the Corolla and listens to her own music or books on CD. We communicate by two-way radio when needed. It works very well for us and she enjoys it. It also gives her the freedom to get out on her own when we're staying someplace for several weeks. With a brother-in-law in downtown Baltimore, commuting through the countryside to visit grandkids, finding space in crowded parking lots designed for tiny cars, etc., things are much easier with a smaller car than with a LWB DRW truck.

Rob

Thanks Rob, learn something new everyday. I tend to stay up here in Northern Michigan during the summer. We are not yet retired, or full-timers out on the highway a lot, so dont get the chance to see what you are talking about.

If you want an education, go to the Escapees HDT forum and spend hours with Big Trucks with cars on them and Big Trailers.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would do whatever it takes to stay with a 5th wheel, as we don't care for the Class A motorhomes at all.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Vette_Racer
Explorer
Explorer
Second Chance wrote:
djousma wrote:
... I've yet to see someone with a 5er taking along a smart car. Not saying its not true, but I'd say rare. No need for a toad when you have your truck.

Don't know where you've been hiding. We - and many other full-timers we know - have a small car in addition to the truck we use to tow the fiver. Many have medium or heavy duty trucks (i.e. the Freightliner SportsChassis/M2 or Volvo 740 or the like) and put the SmartCar behind the cab. I have seen and spoken with several, though, who double tow behind an MDT or HDT and a Mobile Suites (a Jeep, in one case). Others of us - probably the majority who have two vehicles - have the second person (usually the wife) follow in the car on travel days. In our case, my wife tags along in the Corolla and listens to her own music or books on CD. We communicate by two-way radio when needed. It works very well for us and she enjoys it. It also gives her the freedom to get out on her own when we're staying someplace for several weeks. With a brother-in-law in downtown Baltimore, commuting through the countryside to visit grandkids, finding space in crowded parking lots designed for tiny cars, etc., things are much easier with a smaller car than with a LWB DRW truck.

Rob
X2, we do the same thing for the same reasons, lots of times the wife wants to go and do something different than what I need to do so two vehicles work better not to mention she doesn't want to drive the CCLB Dually shopping.
KE5NCP
2016 Ram CC Dually, 2011 HitchHiker 349 RSB DA, 2018 Wrangler unlimited Rubicon

djousma
Explorer
Explorer
Second Chance wrote:
djousma wrote:

Rob

Thanks Rob, learn something new everyday. I tend to stay up here in Northern Michigan during the summer. We are not yet retired, or full-timers out on the highway a lot, so dont get the chance to see what you are talking about.
Dave
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
2017 Forest River Cardinal 3850RL

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
djousma wrote:

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

bigdon68
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Cost. A used HDT converted can still only cost around 50K. Less than a new decked out dually. Those luxury fivers run around 125K for 40 feet of living space. A 45 foot luxury pusher doesnt start till a half a mil.

You could get a custom made New Horizons 5th wheel and tow it with a new F450 and have -- maybe 300K wrapped up in both.

You won't need to tow a car behind the trailer or have a smart car on your HDT --- just unhook at the campground and go shopping.

Enjoy the road. We do.

bigdon68
2017 F450 Lariat Shadow Black / Magnetic, LB, 6.7, Chrome Pkg. TS3 Air Hitch, Retrax, 55 Gal.Aux.Tank
2017 DRV Mobile Suites,induction cooktop, solar, f/b paint, MorRyde IS, 17.5" Tires,residential frig, 3" riser, MorRyde Steps

MY PICTURES

djousma
Explorer
Explorer
In many states a "trailer" gets a permanent license plate for a couple hundred bucks one time fee. A motorized vehicle gets charged annually for plate fees based on weight and/or value. In michigan that is easily upwards of $500 to $1000, and why you see so many of these big rigs with Montana plates doing the remote llc thing.

I've yet to see someone with a 5er taking along a smart car. Not saying its not true, but I'd say rare. No need for a toad when you have your truck.

But I do agree. If I were using a Semi tractor for towing, then I may as well go the Class A route, because driving a tractor to the grocery store is a little over the top.
Dave
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
2017 Forest River Cardinal 3850RL

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I think it depends how you are going to use the RV. If it will be stationary for long periods of time, the 5er makes more sense.
If you move often, the Class A makes more sense.
The size of the 5er or Class A is just a preference.

That's my opinion and, we all know what it's worth. :B