cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Spare tire access tool

TippleUnduly
Explorer
Explorer
Seems we did not get tools to lower the spare tire on our new Chevy/Leprechaun chassis. Is this standard practice for mfrs? Did any of you folks find these tools were included in your coach?
Bill K
6 REPLIES 6

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
Our spare wheel/tire is mounted on the front wall of the deep cargo bay. A PITA to remove stuff and get access to remove the spare which is heavy. I would have the emergency service guy wrestle it out, remove bad wheel/tire and install spare when needed. It is good/prudent to replace tires when serious side wall cracks appear or when tires are older than 5-6 years old by date codes. Why risk a hassle to get a replacement tire in the middle of nowhere. BTW, If you hear/feel an unusual bumping underway, stop and inspect for bulges in tires and danger of tires coming apart/blowing and damaging under-parts of your rig with possible loss of control.

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
Our spare wheel/tire is mounted on the front wall of the deep cargo bay. A PITA to remove stuff and get access to remove the spare which is heavy. I would have the emergency service guy wrestle it out, remove bad wheel/tire and install spare when needed. It is good/prudent to replace tires when serious side wall cracks appear or when tires are older than 5-6 years old by date codes. Why risk a hassle to get a replacement tire in the middle of nowhere. BTW, If you hear/feel an unusual bumping underway, stop and inspect for bulges in tires and danger of tires coming apart/blowing and damaging under-parts of your rig with possible loss of control.

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
It's very common for an RV to come with a Lug Wrench but not a Jack as included in Cars. But I agree with the others:

If it Has a Spare, You Should Get the Cradle Tool!
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Beverley&Ken wrote:
It depends on the system used to hold the spare tire, No tools required for ours (Winnebago/Ford E450), just brute strength. Ours is in a cradle, hinged on one side and held up on the other side by a large bolt with wing welded on and pin to keep from vibrating loose.
As stated before, you may have a cable and winch system that requires a crank handle.

Ken

If I had that (I do btw), I'd be replacing it with a spare tore hoist. I had to change my spare last year on the side of the e-way and that is a nightmare. I had skinned elbows and was filthy just getting the spare out. The, I had to put the flat back up there. What a royal, dirty PITA. I'm retrofitting a tire hoist this year. Had enough of the 'armstrong' spate tire method.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
It depends on the system used to hold the spare tire, No tools required for ours (Winnebago/Ford E450), just brute strength. Ours is in a cradle, hinged on one side and held up on the other side by a large bolt with wing welded on and pin to keep from vibrating loose.
As stated before, you may have a cable and winch system that requires a crank handle.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I assume you are talking about a rod/crank that goes in a hole near the back bumper and lowers the spare when turned?
yes, go back to the dealer and get one. somebody probably purloined the original.
bumpy