cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

spare tire bracket

hitchikerman
Explorer
Explorer
As I took ownership of my new used fifthwheel I notice that the spare tire and bracket was in the basement. So I went to the back of the fifthwheel and notice that the welds on the square tubing had been rewelded. Has any had this problem? I am considering just caring the spare tire in the back of the truck as it's obvious that the bumper cannot support that heavy of a tire
9 REPLIES 9

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
j-d wrote:
Another OP on Class C recently added a spare tire carrier that works like those on many newer vans/SUVs/pickups. Cable and winch arrangement.

That was Baja Man he did a really nice job on it, his post has a lot of pictures, you can
See It Here
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
Another OP on Class C recently added a spare tire carrier that works like those on many newer vans/SUVs/pickups. Cable and winch arrangement. We have them on our minivan and midsize pickup. They're great, and would solve the "horsing the spare in place" problem. I don't have space under our Class C. If I did, that's what I'd get. Just hook it up and turn the crank.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

filrupmark
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:
filrupmark wrote:
I purchased a BAL Spare tire mount for mounting under your fifth wheel. $103.00 from Amazon . Google it. I really like it especially for the price.

BAL Spare tire mount

Hey thanks Drsteve
2004 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel, Bilstein 4600 Shocks, 16K B&W Patriot, Michelin M&S
2014 Augusta Flex AF34RS Trailair Tri Glide pinbox,
JT Strong Arms , Bridgestone R250'S, KYB Monotube Gas shocks
Finally a smooth ride !!!

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
IAMICHABOD wrote:
If you want to use your bumper you might consider the Safety Struts .

You continue to amaze me! How have I been on this Forum all this time, and not known about these???

I found little tears at the bracket welds on our 4" cardboard steel bumper and had a reinforcement welded to it. Also took the spare off and now store it under the bed. I doubt the PO's carried anything else on the spare tire or its mount. And I've heard of others with torn bumpers with the original welds.

It seems that SSN and SNU brackets are my best bet. SSN actually, since it seems SNU is the SSN brackets with extra fasteners for box chassis rails. We have a channel with the hitch through the bottom and bumper brackets (welded to the bumper, that's where it tore) bolted to the sides of the channel.

So, concerns me that the Safety Struts need to mount OVER the existing bumper bracket bolts, which are 1/2" with washers. Awkward. I printed the SSN/SNU Template and verified that it printed to scale. Next step I make a cardboard or wood paneling template and see where it falls in my setup.

All this triggered what I think is a GREAT IDEA!!! When our cardboard steel square bumper is damaged, torn, or rusted through (only a matter of time), the new tube is inexpensive. Problem is, it doesn't come with brackets! So we still need to find a shop to fab new brackets, or cut the old ones off and weld to the new. It seems to me that Safety Struts could BE the brackets for a new bumper tube. Mount it up and go to a shop with a wire welder to tack the new tube to the Struts...
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I built my own bracket to give more clearance for the bicycles. The bracket puts the weight of the tire directly above the bumper instead of hanging out toward the rear putting a torque on the welds.

Although I suspect the prior owner may have had more than just a spare hanging on that bumper.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you want to use your bumper you might consider the Safety Struts the videos are quite interesting and it seems that there are others on the Forum that use them.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

TakingThe5th
Explorer
Explorer
I had that problem and re-welded and reinforced the bumper. In that process I lost my stinky slinky storage. My fix seems OK for now but I may still try one of the underslung tire mounts.
TakingThe5th - Chicago, Western Suburbs
'05 Ford F350 Crew 6.0 DRW Bulletproofed. Pullrite Super 5th 18K 2100 hitch.
'13 Keystone Cougar 333MKS, Maxxfan 7500, Progressive EMS-HW50C, Grey Water System.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
filrupmark wrote:
I purchased a BAL Spare tire mount for mounting under your fifth wheel. $103.00 from Amazon . Google it. I really like it especially for the price.

BAL Spare tire mount
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

filrupmark
Explorer
Explorer
2004 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel, Bilstein 4600 Shocks, 16K B&W Patriot, Michelin M&S
2014 Augusta Flex AF34RS Trailair Tri Glide pinbox,
JT Strong Arms , Bridgestone R250'S, KYB Monotube Gas shocks
Finally a smooth ride !!!