cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

winterizing questions

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Is it just me or are the RVing guys not winterizing as much as they used to. seems there aren't as many questions on the forum about how or what to do when winterizing. guess they are taking the units to a rv dealer to get the job done. I have seen a few but in the years past we would have a dozen a day on the subject.Oh yes, I hate it when I visit facebook before I come to this forum, I just want to hit enter to post a message
14 REPLIES 14

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
We just got home around noon, from 3 weeks in the mountains. Got her โ€œwinterizedโ€, and most everything put away. The 5er probably wonโ€™t see anymore use this winter... donโ€™ t have any extended-stay trips planned. Will break-out the little class c for the short trips,Christmas with some of the grandkids, and a few ice fishing trips, and whatever else may require a few days away from home. โ€œ Have chains, Will travelโ€!
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

troubledwaters
Explorer II
Explorer II
Peg Leg wrote:
I blew mine out a couple of weeks ago. Usually use the pink stuff. This year I was going to be gone a week to watch grandson graduate from armor school at Ft Benning. Now shortly I'm taking it to Florida for 4 months.

Can anyone one tell me how I'm supposed to get all that air out of the lines? I'm thinking of a solar powered hose to heat the water before entering the trailer. Does hot water take up more space than cold air. The weatherman is always talking about denser cold air coming down from the north. Now I'm getting confused, I knew I should have used the pink stuff.
Get an air compressor and a adapter for the fresh water inlet. The air compressor will blow all the air out of the lines and replace it with a mixture of 78% Nitrogen, 21% Oxygen, 1% Argon and a few other miscellaneous gases that won't hurt you.

winniman
Explorer
Explorer
Global warming isnt coming fast enough for my liking. Mine has been winterized for two weeks. It was minus 15 celcius two nights last week here in Ontario. That 5 degrees F for all you non metric type people. As stated, I think that newbies have found utube and the other wealth of information available enough to get the job done.

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
Jax, thank God I wasn't at Glen Rouge Campground. The north wind coming down the Rouge River Canyon would have probably instantly freeze dried the entire unit.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Peg Leg wrote:
I blew mine out a couple of weeks ago.

Now shortly I'm taking it to Florida for 4 months.

Can anyone one tell me how I'm supposed to get all that air out of the lines?

The water will displace the air regardless of how dense the air is, but be careful if you blow it out in Florida with light warm air, if a cold arctic blast from up here in Canuckistan hits before your RV can slowly acclimatize the sudden contraction could cause so much vacuum it could collapse your unit.

๐Ÿ˜œ

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
I blew mine out a couple of weeks ago. Usually use the pink stuff. This year I was going to be gone a week to watch grandson graduate from armor school at Ft Benning. Now shortly I'm taking it to Florida for 4 months.

Can anyone one tell me how I'm supposed to get all that air out of the lines? I'm thinking of a solar powered hose to heat the water before entering the trailer. Does hot water take up more space than cold air. The weatherman is always talking about denser cold air coming down from the north. Now I'm getting confused, I knew I should have used the pink stuff.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I dunno? I went to my local RV dealership last Friday (Modern Trailer, in Anderson, IN) for a 30 pound propane fill up. I commented to the guy filling the tank that they had a lot of campers in their lot (RV's waiting for service), and made the comment, I bet you're getting hit with a lot of winterizing right now. He said, in the last couple days, that's ALL they've done.

rrupert
Explorer
Explorer
You can find many videos on www.Youtube.com showing how to do it.
Rich and Joyce
2018 Jayco Jay Flight 21QB
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

Amateur Radio K3EXU

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I winterize by the "S" method (S. Carolina) and the park is FULL I mean FULL they have had to turn folks away they are that FULL.. Perhaps that is why.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
its not rocket science. my daughter does ours.

will she do mine? :B
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
They've learned how to search.

that and the fact that it is not brain science or rocket surgery.
bumpy

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
its not rocket science. my daughter does ours.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
They've learned how to search.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer
Explorer
People not having to winterize is obviously yet another sign of global warming.
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS