cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom B or Custom Van?

johnwalkerpa1
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking for something that probably does not exist! And I am not sure if I'm looking at custom B or a custom Van.

Looking for something on a high roof van chassis that is mostly passenger van and just a little RV. I would like to have seating for 7 -8 up front with typical passenger windows. Then in the back have a bathroom (shower not required) that is large enough for those over 75 pounds, with an RV toilet, tiny sink and small fresh and black/gray tank.

Also looking for 120/12 volt power/coach battery, converter etc and rooftop air/heatpump. Maybe a microwave. No propane needed.

We already have a 30 foot class c for more serious camping. This unit would be primarily for day touring or possible short overnights with just one person aboard.

Any thoughts or ideas?
Thanks!
14 REPLIES 14

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
fordtransitUSAforum.com has lots of DIY folks converting Cargo vans and wagons; I would assume that Sprinter and Promaster also have similar forums?

I converted a nice cargo Transit van into what I call a "touring van" - we could sleep/camp at a minimalist level and I've got a couple hundred dollars invested. The biggest thing is how nice these new vans are to drive - I LOVE my Transit!
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
tatest wrote:

Category you are describing is a conversion van, rather than a type B motorhome, since you are not including sleeping and cooking facilities that put the conversion into the "home" category. That doesn't mean a RV builder can't build it, just that it is not what they usually market.

and remember that unless it has the three? requirements, it's interest can't be deducted as a second home. If that survives anyhow.
bumpy

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sportsmobile can build it, or several of the many van conversion shops, which tend to be small businesses today, in regional markets. Sportsmobile will have more experience with the RV part. If you want three rows of seating and bathroom facilities, you will be building on one of the longer vans.

Another variation would be executive travel vans, Airstream used to have some Sprinter-based motorhomes in this class, probably the most expensive on the market. I've been in others used by limousine services, but these have had more than just the bathroom, also having small bars with snack kitchens. These are custom builds for the commercial market.

Neither type B motorhomes nor custom van conversions come cheap. You are starting at $40,000 to $60,000 for the bare high-top extended-length van. Costs from there depend on the quality of furnishings, ranging OEM seats on up to the equivalent of airline Business Class. School bus or transit van seating is cheaper, but I've never seen it put into a conversion van.

Category you are describing is a conversion van, rather than a type B motorhome, since you are not including sleeping and cooking facilities that put the conversion into the "home" category. That doesn't mean a RV builder can't build it, just that it is not what they usually market.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

Shearwater
Explorer
Explorer
www.sportsmobile.com
They work on any of the current vans. They will do as little or as much as you want. Go to their design it yourself sections to see a scaled drawing of the van's floor plans and add as much or as little as you want. Prices are listed for the vans and each modification. You might have to ask about the options for adding the seating that you want, but everything else is on their website.
Advanced RV Sprinter

johnwalkerpa1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for some great ideas. After looking at several of the suggested sources, it does look like it is possible to get exactly what I want out there....but perhaps at a price I am not able to afford 🙂

Now, i have to consider the pros and cons of several options and decide where I want to compromise between price, needs, and wants!

johnwalkerpa1
Explorer
Explorer
booster wrote:
Expensive, but look at Midwest Vans. They may have just what you want. Most conversion van companies, like Waldoch, will also be able to do what you want.

I just took a look...yes, they do have exactly what I am looking for...but, you are right...expensive!

buta4
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
is sportsmobile??? still operating?
bumpy

Yes it is! And, they have the system where one can design their own layouts.
Ray

clayway
Explorer
Explorer
Why not a roadtrek 190 with 4 captain chairs & rear couch

jrobe
Explorer
Explorer
Sportsmobile could do a build like this. There is no reason you couldn’t do a small rear bathroom with a black and grey tank (maybe combined) except that it may require moving the spare tire to the rear door.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Forget having black/gray water tanks ! There is just not enough space. If you try to mount something underneath they will likely be damaged. Composting toilets do work.

Personally, I find the rear seats on the Ford Transit too narrow to be comfortable for adults for anything but short trips.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
is sportsmobile??? still operating?
bumpy

booster
Explorer
Explorer
Expensive, but look at Midwest Vans. They may have just what you want. Most conversion van companies, like Waldoch, will also be able to do what you want.

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like you need to start with something like a high-top Ford Transit passenger van. Take out the seats and upgrade them, add the plumbing and wiring in the back. If you get the long chassis version, there will be plenty of space.

There are a lot of cargo vans coming off lease. Since you will be changing the interior anyway, that would be a blank slate.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
that is basically what I set up in my Glaval Half back van. had captains chairs up front, then a bench seat that would lay down to a bed, a windowed partition and a separate compartment in the rear where I could set a port a pot, camping sink, etc. could finish it off better in the rear if desired. don't know if anybody can offer that now.
there is a utube video of a 92 g20 chevy version.
bumpy