cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2003-2008 Gas Motorhome: Chevy service problems?

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
My DW and I are considering selling our TT and purchasing a used class A gas motorhome. If you have a motorhome with the Chevy chassis, have you had any difficulty in finding a repair facility? Have you encountered any problems getting parts for the chasis, power train or transmission?

I'm leaning towards the Ford chassis due to it's reputation for better braking but have also read many threads stating that find the floorplan you want and either chassis will do the job. Anyone have any comments on the braking performance of the Chevy chassis compared to the Ford?

Thanks in advance for your comments and assistance!
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption
11 REPLIES 11

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks so much for the information and assistance!
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
scbwr wrote:
rgatijnet1 wrote:
I personally would stick to the W series Workhorse chassis rather than the lighter P series Workhorse chassis. This will avoid the autopark brake which has had issues and will get you much stronger brakes with the W20-22-24 chassis. It will also get you the Allison transmission, instead of the GM transmission on the lighter P series chassis.
The Ford chassis have had some handling issues that can be corrected and the best you can do is get a Ford transmission, which Ford claims is almost as good as an Allison transmission.
In reality, you were given the best advice which is to find a floor plan that works and any of the chassis will get you to the top of the mountain and down the other side.

Thanks for this information re looking for the W series Workhorse. Are you saying that all of the P series had the GM transmission, so if it has an Allison transmission it will be on the W20-22-24 chassis?
Again, thanks for the reply!

That is correct. You can get the same GM engine in both but the W series chassis had the Allison transmission.

Hank_MI
Explorer
Explorer
scbwr wrote:
rgatijnet1 wrote:
I personally would stick to the W series Workhorse chassis rather than the lighter P series Workhorse chassis. This will avoid the autopark brake which has had issues and will get you much stronger brakes with the W20-22-24 chassis. It will also get you the Allison transmission, instead of the GM transmission on the lighter P series chassis.
The Ford chassis have had some handling issues that can be corrected and the best you can do is get a Ford transmission, which Ford claims is almost as good as an Allison transmission.
In reality, you were given the best advice which is to find a floor plan that works and any of the chassis will get you to the top of the mountain and down the other side.

Thanks for this information re looking for the W series Workhorse. Are you saying that all of the P series had the GM transmission, so if it has an Allison transmission it will be on the W20-22-24 chassis?

You definitely want a W series chassis over the P series, I've had both. The Workhorse will have an Allison trans, arguably the best auto trans made. Take a quick look under the front end, if it's a solid front axle with leaf springs as opposed to independent front suspension with coil springs it's a W series chassis. The VIN will tell you as well but a quick look is easy.

_1Flyboy
Explorer
Explorer
....if you can find a Workhorse with the 8.1 Chevy motor & 6 speed Allison with the grade brake it is a good combination... We have a 2007 Safari Trek with that combination towing a Honda Element and are satisfied.....Regardless of what you get do your maintenance!

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
And many thanks for the opinions and info shared by the other posters. I'm slowly learning a lot which should help me avoid making any major mistakes.
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
rgatijnet1 wrote:

Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III

bullydogs1
Explorer
Explorer
There was a brake recall on all Workhorse chassis except for the W24...get serial # of vehicle and call workhorse to ensure recall was done.
Stuart and Stella Denning
2016 Entegra Aspire 42RBQ
The 3 Bulldogs (Daisy, Sylvie and Stashie)
2018 Equinox Diesel (TOAD)

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2001 with the Workhorse chassis and 7.4 Chevy engine. I have had no trouble finding parts or service. I can't compare the brakes with Ford because I haven't had a Ford MH, but the brakes on the Chevy/Workhorse chassis take quite a bit more pedal pressure than my other vehicles. Also, I don't like the "auto park" feature although I have had no trouble with it, I have read some horror stories about people who did. It is kind of scary and I have heard the parts for that are hard to get and very expensive. I don't think I would buy another MH that had auto park.
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Hank_MI
Explorer
Explorer
If it's a 2003-2008 then Chevy didn't build the chassis, Workhorse did. Workhorse bought the chassis business from Chevy, did continue using the GM 8.1L engine. We have a 2003 Winnebago Adventurer, Workhorse W22 chassis, GM 8.1L engine and Allison transmission. As mentioned parts are available and service is too.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW, we have a gas 96 Southwind. I have it serviced and inspected at a local garage that works on heavy trucks in addition to cars and light trucks.

There is no problem getting parts, it's a common GMC chassis/engine and there are many of them in use.

I would not be concerned about finding parts or service for a 2003 or newer unit.