cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Critter prevention?

bluedogz1
Explorer
Explorer
I’m pretty familiar with winterizing, but have a NTM PUP that I’m concerned about....

I don’t have available garage storage- the PUP will live covered underneath my back deck.

I’m concerned about critters- mice, chipmunks, maybe even groundhogs. Just one mouse can wreck my canvas and I want to avoid it.

How do you all keep the critters out?
11 REPLIES 11

GeorgeNJ
Explorer
Explorer
My Pop up is older and I've I've tried looking for holes and can't find any, but they somehow get in. So I just assume that they will get in and leave green rodent blocks. If and when they get in, all they need to do is nibble just once on a block then they go outside to die while looking for water. So you may see very little "black rice", but they wont stay long to make your trailer a home over the winter and destroy it.

gheicher
Explorer
Explorer
I've heard of the pep oil, fresh cab, dryer sheets, etc. used by many. Some say they work and some say they don't (certainly they won't hurt anything). My experience has been to carefully seal any potential entry points and remove any food items from the camper. I seal even the tiniest holes to help keep out the stink bugs, but always a couple manage to get in somewhere. Never have had any rodents but maybe that's just luck.

WilliamBentley
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with donn0128. If this works, it is well and good, but if these things don't work for you. You can even take help of some professional like Pest Control Newtown CT or some other which you can easily find online. Professionals can guide you better so that you should not be facing this problem again.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
X2 works for me too.

janstey58
Explorer
Explorer
Be sure and use Pure Peppermint oil, I purchase mine at GNC. Then soak into cotton balls and place numerous throughout the RV. Every time I post this someone says this doesn't work, but in 10 years, no mice, and mine is stored in a barn in the country. Plus the RV smells great in the spring.
Jeff and Kim
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E
Freightliner Chassis 380HP DP
2012 Ford Escape Limited Toad

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
peppermint oil soaked on cotton balls put them in used butter containers EVERY WHERE. fresh cab the same way.

RimCountry
Explorer
Explorer
Probably not the best arrangement, but due to space limitations, my PUP sits outside 24/7/365. I protect the tires from the sun, but that's about it. In the 4 years that we've had it, this RODAR unit and a 100' buried / covered contractor's extension cord is all we've needed to keep mice AND insects away... and we have LOTS of both.

RODAR II Pest Repeller

Michael, Suzy & Arnie Asada (Chihuahua)
'97 Viking Legend 2480
'19 RAM 1500 Laramie 5.7L Hemi

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Seal up all holes, add rodent proof spray foam over SS screening and lots of traps.

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
No foods , grooming, or cleaning supplies in my pup. It's parked next to a hay field full of mice and predators.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

bluedogz1
Explorer
Explorer
How is the pep oil used?

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use fresh cab a product sold at feed stores ,and peppermint oil . I,ve had no mice in my rv or my boats stored in a pole bldg on my farm.