cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dry winter parking

jpratt2
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 29' Bigfoot class C and plan on keeping it parked for the winter in our driveway, which is gravel.

I'm concerned about rust and mildew issues. The surface drains well, but the water table here is high during the winter and everything under the rig will be very damp until spring....no puddles or standing water though. Paying for covered storage and/or paving the drive are out of our budget at present.

Question: do any of you use some sort of a moisture/vapor barrier to park your motorhome on to reduce the ground moisture?

Thanks!
11 REPLIES 11

whizbang
Explorer
Explorer
Although the OP is concerned about exterior damage, I would be far more concerned about interior damage: specifically condensation.

Here in the Pacific Northwest, the temperature and the dew point typically track pretty close.

What happens is, a cold front moves in, the temp drops a few degrees, then when it warms back up, the insulated RV interior is colder inside than out, AND below the dew point. So, you get a bunch of water on the inside.

Some combination of low heat and/or a dehumidifier is a must.

I also "use" the Class C one Saturday a month to keep everything working.
Whizbang
2002 Winnebago Minnie
http://www.raincityhome.com/RAWH/index.htm

TexasShadow
Explorer
Explorer
we park ours on gravel at home...under a carport, and leave it hooked up to power. we use it as an extra bedroom when we have company. DH runs the generator and/or the diesel engine periodically, we use an elec heater occasionally if we're doing something in it during a cold snap.
no problem with tires or rust or mold. we have a hookup to the septic tank but only use it when our black and gray tanks get half full.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
I have parked my rig on gravel since 1992 - haven't notice any problems. The gravel pad has a tilt on it which makes it drain properly - I compensate by elevating rear wheel a bit with 2/8's. I live in Oregon where it rains 9 months a year (on a good yr) so I wouldn't get too concerned.
Kevin

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Jpratt2,

Your fears are well founded. You do not want the coach parked over open soil. Moisture will come up from the ground and condense on any metal that will be hurt by corrosion. It is best to put down a layer or more of heavy poly film - coach wide and long and then some planks for the tires so they don't punch through that film.

Even if you lay a gravel pad, putting film under it might be a good idea. Ask local people about that. I know in really wet areas, you need to make it drain.

This last coach came in on a hook, so we had to jack it up to get the planks and plastic under it. It sure is easier if you can lay things out and drive it onto the pad.

As far as how to take care of it? Remember that nothing good happens to an idling engine. Thermal cycles also aren't real good, so if you don't have to start it, leave it alone.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
I understand the OP is concerned of outdoor moisture from his gravel driveway.

I advise to make sure there is plenty of air flow under the rig. Don't store things under it, don't block it with anything, not snow either. That will allow air to flow under the rig as much as possible. Laying down a plastic sheet and driving on top of it just might create more trouble than help, unless you are anal with it.

As far as the interior is concerned, I agree that a dehumidifier is a good idea. The only concern is if the collected water freezes, then leaks out of the cracked reservoir or drain tube, then does worse damage inside.

You got some other interesting suggestions, keeping it warm inside, opening all cabinets and fridge to help keep it more dry inside.

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
weathershak wrote:
Are you putting a cover on it? . The reason I ask is, if not, use it. Take it for a spin on those winter days that are nice. Exercise the furnace, generator, even the AC. Go on a day trip to a local park, pack a lunch, or even do an over nighter if restrooms are available. At least, play camp driveway.

Good thought on the play camping. Chances are he is taking off the insurance...on with storage.

For years I never turned off the fridge and always had a heater inside. Now that I am iin the Okanagan, not so much. Nicer temps and dryer.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

weathershak
Explorer
Explorer
Are you putting a cover on it? . The reason I ask is, if not, use it. Take it for a spin on those winter days that are nice. Exercise the furnace, generator, even the AC. Go on a day trip to a local park, pack a lunch, or even do an over nighter if restrooms are available. At least, play camp driveway.
Full timing it since July 2012

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing sadder than a closed up RV in the driveway. How about opening the roof vent a bit and plugging the power in and run a short extension inside with a bare bulb. It will keep moisture out, and keep the rig kind of warm. Open the fridge and cupboards to allow some air movement.

An open parking spot..even a carport? is always better than an enclosed garage because it allows for air to to carry away moisture.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Parked our RV's on wet gravel for 25+ years without issue.

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
No. Dont worry about it. One trip to the coast will leave more rust than a winter inland. If its at home, add a big dehumidifier and close things up.

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
If there's no standing water then it seems you're only concerned is for the tires and you could either raise them off the ground or put them on some pressure treated lumber concrete blocks might even be better.
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.