cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wyoming in the spring

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Headed west, MD to Seattle area late April/early May.

Not interested in Yellowstone again this time but considering Laramie, Rawlins, Dubois, Grand Teton, Jackson, Idaho & westward. This will take us right past the very bit of highway where we lost our first 5er in 2010 at Elk Mtn between Laramie & Rawlins. There is some apprehension about this route.

Time is not so tight that we can't sit out weather for a few days but what are the chances of wind or snow along this route?
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995
19 REPLIES 19

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
We were there mid May in 2016. We encountered no snow in the 5 days there.Temps were mostly high 50's low 60's during the day.

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
We had snow in Denver the first week of May this year and I-80 north of us gets more late snow than we do. Plus, as you well know, high winds are normal at any time of the year on I-80 in Wyoming. That's what happens when you are at the lowest point on the Continental Divide between New Mexico and Montana.

Incidentally, I was working in Gallup NM in early April of 2010 when I-40 was closed at the NM-AZ border for 3 days due to high winds. And, when passing through Las Vegas, NM on that same trip, I-25 was closed due to a semi that had blown over and was lying across both northbound lanes. So, no place along the Divide is really better than another in the spring.
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
memtb wrote:
You could experience all four seasons in a matter of a few days! Weโ€™ve had snow in every month except August (at least where we have lived), and wind (especially along the I 80 corridor) can be an everyday part of life. Welcome to Wyoming!

....or hours!

Wyoming !

State Bird = Wind
State Flower = Tumbleweed in wind

:W :B :C
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes, You may consider a cb radio (a real pain most of the time). If it appears you may have questionable conditions.... listening to the truckers can tell you everything (and more) than you need to know. And that will be โ€œup to dateโ€ info, including the exact mile markers of โ€œwhateverโ€ situation! We do a bit of winter travel, and itโ€™s good to know what your about to get into!!!
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
You could experience all four seasons in a matter of a few days! Weโ€™ve had snow in every month except August (at least where we have lived), and wind (especially along the I 80 corridor) can be an everyday part of life. Welcome to Wyoming!
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Having a second look, we might just take the long way round to Rawlins on 287 & avoid the high ground on I80 & our trailer grave between ext 260 & 255, much as I'd like to pay my respects.

Besides 287 passes through some old towns which might be worth the slow down to have a look.

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
coolmom42 wrote:
Definitely take time to check out Thermopolis, WY, and the Hot Springs State Park, with its bath house and bison herd.
First in 1951 with the folks. Loved it, took my kid there in the mid 80's did it again in the late 90's, plan to do it a few more times.
So big a world, so little time to see.

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
Weather can be all over the place that time of the year. I spent 9 years in Rapid City and one year we had 36" of snow on or about May 10th. 3 or 4 years ago we pulled into Great Falls, Montana the last of May to 12" of snow. Just watch the weather reports as far out as you can and go from there.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
My husband is from Rock Springs so we travel there a few times a year at various times of year. We've encountered some icky weather towards the end of April on I-80, through the Elk Mountain area. I'm not sure I'd do it if I were you, since you're already a bit skittish anyway.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
westernrvparkowner wrote:
Big difference between April and May. I wouldn't even consider Teton/Jackson in April and probably wouldn't travel that way any earlier than late May. Teton Pass going west from Jackson will be almost impassible with anything other than a serious 4x4 most days. It will likely still be deep winter at elevation during your timeframe.

Teton pass is bypassed. Drove up that one from Jackson, without trailer, last time we were in the area. Killer hill from the east. Would not subject my truck to that unless the trailer was at least 3000# lighter. Saw more than a couple class A & large 5ers broken down on the side.

The long way round on 26 is a must.

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
Definitely take time to check out Thermopolis, WY, and the Hot Springs State Park, with its bath house and bison herd.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes wrote:
Headed west, MD to Seattle area late April/early May.

Not interested in Yellowstone again this time but considering Laramie, Rawlins, Dubois, Grand Teton, Jackson, Idaho & westward. This will take us right past the very bit of highway where we lost our first 5er in 2010 at Elk Mtn between Laramie & Rawlins. There is some apprehension about this route.

Time is not so tight that we can't sit out weather for a few days but what are the chances of wind or snow along this route?

If possible check out the Wind River Canyon- between Shoshoni and Thermopolis.

Love the drive - could swear it looks like the River runs up Hill.

And yes you will likely run through some snow - Last year in Colorado - they got most of the Snow in April and May - Didn't open Trail Ridge till after Memorial Day - 17' drifts.

But Oh do those Rocks look good in their Winter Whites.

Enjoy the trip,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

TexasShadow
Explorer
Explorer
at that time of year, I would take I 80 over to Salt Lake, then 84 up and over to Portland and north to Seattle on I 5.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
Big difference between April and May. I wouldn't even consider Teton/Jackson in April and probably wouldn't travel that way any earlier than late May. Teton Pass going west from Jackson will be almost impassible with anything other than a serious 4x4 most days. It will likely still be deep winter at elevation during your timeframe.