cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CA 49 from South of Sacramento

PacNWChris
Explorer
Explorer
I'm working on planning out next summer's RV-ing trip and wanted some advice from those who know the route from Sacramento onto highway 49 south (connected by CA-16). We'll be traveling all the way to Mariposa. I used to live in the Bay Area, so I know 5 and 99 well (BORING) and wanted to try out a more scenic route, even if it means a little slower pace and more turns.

I've got a 2014 F350 and a 30ft travel trailer. I've also got a ProPride hitch so it turns more like a fifth-wheel than a standard TT. I'm not worried about the truck's power as I've been over Teton Pass (10% grade) with this setup, but what are your thoughts on the turns?

I've looked at the CA DOT website and looked at the map for that district on the truck network map. It shows a couple of 30' KPRA advisories. I realize the intent is more for truckers, but should I have any concern?

I've been on some twisty roads before and aren't really worried about that. I pull out when I can to let traffic pass, and take it easy on the turns. To be honest, I'm just really trying to avoid the really boring route along 99.

Thanks in advance!
2014 F350 Platinum 6.7L Power Stroke
2015 Salem Hemisphere Lite 282RK
ProPride 3P Hitch
6 REPLIES 6

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Dennis, no need to be a road warrior on CA Hwy 49. Drive slow, stop often.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

DennisVR
Explorer
Explorer
I live just off 49 south of Jackson. I love to drive 49 in my dune buggy, but not pulling my 5th wheel. The road is narrow and you would not get to see the scenery while your driving.

starcraft69
Explorer
Explorer
All day long !!!! Enjoy the trip
2007 chevy 2500 HD 6.0 longbed
2015 Eagle HT 28.5 5th wheel
tucker the fishing dog

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've been on some twisty roads before and aren't really worried about that. I pull out when I can to let traffic pass, and take it easy on the turns. To be honest, I'm just really trying to avoid the really boring route along 99.

There is one section you will want to pay attention to and that is just south of Moccasin and north of Mariposa. The geometrics, alignment, and elevation changes are definitely 'attention getting' when towing.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
You shouldn’t have any issues with a 30 foot TT on CA Hwy 49.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

F-TROUP
Explorer
Explorer
You'll have no problems, like you said it is curvy, slow but interesting enjoy.