cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Securing loose wires in the closet?

RichieW13
Explorer
Explorer
I want to install a USB port near my bed. In order to do so, I'll need to run two 16-gauge wires along the inside corner of my closet.

The best thing I can think of is to just use some duct tape to hold it in the corner, to prevent it from dangling around, and to prevent clothes hangers from getting caught on it. I'm not excited about that, because I'm not sure if the tape will stick to the wood very well, and will probably come loose in hot weather.

Are there any other better options for holding the wire in place?
24 REPLIES 24

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
pauldub wrote:
Try this for a clean installation. Only $5 at HomeDepot.
This is really nice stuff. We used it for running speaker wire up the rear corners of our tv room - still looks good and stayed stuck for 20 years.

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
RichieW13 wrote:
pauldub wrote:

I worry about the adhesive not working after awhile.

If you use a larger size wire away you can put screws on the inside to hold it down. I have done it for the power cords on TVs and DVD players.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
A wire mould product or a loom to cover the wires would be the best solution as I can see a hangar getting caught on an exposed wire. I have a wire mould that comes in two pieces. The base is installed first, the wires positioned on it, and the cover is then attached. With a covering like that you can screw it onto wall surface or trust the included adhesive.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
There is a zip tie that is made that has a eye on it to screw it to the wall/corner.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
I've used split loom tubing secured by nylon cable clips. (I think this is the "black flexible auto wiring duct" that enblethen refers to.) Coachmen used the same basic approach where they had to run wires through cabinet interiors rather than hidden inside walls etc.

(This particular bit happens to be my work, not Coachmen's.)

That is also what I did. Bought it at an NAPA auto supply store.
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wrapped the wire bundles in cable ties, spaced about 8 inches apart. Then I stapled the loose end of the cable tie to the wall panel with a staple gun, using 1/4 inch staples. Cheap and effective.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I do it the same as Drew.
Really anything but duct tape.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
newman fulltimer wrote:
heres a thought use a wire track used for jyst that situation

X2
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

SAR_Tracker
Explorer
Explorer
wire tie mounting base
Rusty & Cheryl
2011 F250 2WD 6.2L Gasser
2008 Weekend Warrior FB2100
"Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education" - Victor Hugo (1802-1885)

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I wanted to do the same thing I had a light that I would get the power from and had a hollow wall,I unscrewed the light and thru the hole in the wall where the wires came up I tied a washer on a string and fed it thru and took a strong magnet and pulled it along until it reached the hole where I wanted the put the USB port.

Pulled the string attached to the wires then installed the USB port,all wires inside the wall.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad

RichieW13
Explorer
Explorer
pauldub wrote:

I worry about the adhesive not working after awhile.

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
I installed a USB port and used duct tape a few years ago, well it's time to do it correct now because the duct tape does not stick to the wall any more.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

RichieW13
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
I've used split loom tubing secured by nylon cable clips. (I think this is the "black flexible auto wiring duct" that enblethen refers to.) Coachmen used the same basic approach where they had to run wires through cabinet interiors rather than hidden inside walls etc.

(This particular bit happens to be my work, not Coachmen's.)

At first I was thinking that wouldn't work, because the screws would go through the wall and be visible on the other side, but now I remember that there is about a 3/4" dead space in there. So maybe this is the way to go.

Thanks.