cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Natchez Trace

Romer1
Explorer
Explorer
Thinking about doing Natchez Trace from Jackson to Natchez next year.
Any suggestions on what to see or do. How long would it take?
Merrill (KC9NPT)
2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U
2014 Chev Equinox LT AWD
13 REPLIES 13

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
Matt_Colie wrote:
We have run the entire Trace twice and parts lots of other times.

Two big pieces of advice.
1 - Find and buy the book. It isn't cheap, but it sure is worth it.
2 - Do not plan to stop at every historical site. There are over 200 and that is about 1 every other mile.

Oh, and plan to take your time.

Matt

What is "the book?" Please.

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
newsomer wrote:
Couple of questions if you please . . .

Best to go north to south or south to north?

What's the best time of year to avoid traffic and crowds but still find most points of interest operating?

Driving South you will be headed into the sun, that would be worst in the Fall.

I don't think there is a crowd problem at any time, campgrounds might fill up at peak vacation times.

DannyA
Explorer
Explorer
I think spring and fall are the best times to run the Trace.
Cities with things to see and do at both ends.
We spent a couple of days in Natchez touring homes and looking around.
2013 Sabre 290 REDS 5th wheel
2011 F250 Ford diesel

Mark Twain wrote: "Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do...

TxTwoSome
Explorer
Explorer
newsomer wrote:

What's the best time of year to avoid traffic and crowds but still find most points of interest operating?

If your going South then the North To South would be better.

If your going North then the South to North would be better.

Just kidding either way not much difference. We have been on the Trace in May and June with no traffic or crowd problems.

As other have mentioned the North part is a little more scenic but the Southern part has lots of things to see. The main thing is don't be in a hurry!

Last weeks Natchez Trace post mentioned above read it also.
Bruce & Cindy (Chihuahua's Rambo & Chuy)
2016 Jayco 23RLSW
2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Blue Ox SwayPro

newsomer
Explorer
Explorer

2015 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 36LA
To Infinity, and Beyond!
- Our Campsites (Bing Maps)

DannyA
Explorer
Explorer
We just finished the Trace last week. Sorry don't remember the time it would take from Jackson to Natchez but its not that long. We got on at Tupelo and I think it took us maybe 6 hours, my guess. In my opinion their is less to see on the lower end. Some places the road was rough but they are working on fixing that.
If you see the plantation homes there be sure to see Longwood, again in my opinion it's the most enjoyable to see. If I can help you with anything else just let me know.
2013 Sabre 290 REDS 5th wheel
2011 F250 Ford diesel

Mark Twain wrote: "Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do...

goldsp8
Explorer
Explorer
We did it in an easy day. We stopped maybe 6-8 times. The best stops were places where you could still stand in the old trace route. JMHO

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
We have run the entire Trace twice and parts lots of other times.

Two big pieces of advice.
1 - Find and buy the book. It isn't cheap, but it sure is worth it.
2 - Do not plan to stop at every historical site. There are over 200 and that is about 1 every other mile.

Oh, and plan to take your time.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Keep abreast of road conditions and alerts. Alerts

While most of the road is very good, it can lull you into thinking all fine, and then Blam! a nasty bump, particularly towards the southern end.

Isaac-1
Explorer
Explorer
It has been a number of years since I last did the northern part of the Trace, but I can say the nothern end and the southern end are very different, the nothern end is more scenic, with much wider spacing between stops. The southern end is much more up close mostly wooded scenery and stops every couple of miles if you stop at all the little pull outs.

Fred_n_Jo
Explorer
Explorer
From Jackson to Natchez is only a small part of the trace. While Natchez is the southern end the northern end is just a little SW of Nashville, TN. Any part of the Trace is well worth the drive.
2017 Host Rainier Truck Camper
2015 F450 Lariat 6.7L PSD CC 4x4

our places camped Map

our rig ready to roll

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
If you really want to enjoy it, plan at least a couple days. The speed limit is 50 mph AND ENFORCED. At the beginning (or end) of the trail, depending upon which end you start on, pick up the free literature, and especially the map of the Trace that gives all the stops along the way. If you take the time to stop at every spot, it will take longer than 2 days, for sure. The Trace is it's own entertainment. It's all historical, it's not an amusement park ride. But if you enjoy the history of the USA, the "attractions" along the journey will shed some pretty amazing insights into some of the history of the USA. It's an interesting journey, for sure. There again, if you have the time ... take your time, stop at every location... and you might make it to the other end a few weeks later!

Enjoy! It's a beautiful and fascinating historical drive.

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Very recent (last week) thread about the Trace.

On the bucket list. Maybe doing this in the spring.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox