cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travel Trailer Rubber Roof Repair Options. Help needed ASAP

murfx2004
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, everyone. My name is Alex and I'm new to the forum. I picked up a 2001 Coachmen Catalina 26 foot travel trailer with slide out back in September. I've been full-timing in it since then and making minor repairs as needed. While I was setting up a tarp to cover the slide out (because I need a new seal and it leaks a bit), I noticed that there were a few soft spots on the roof. Some spots are worse than others and the wood is so rotted underneath that the rubber roof is just suspended on it. This poses a problem for me as I live in New Jersey and we are bound to get snow, which I'm sure this roof won't be able to support. The roof itself is not leaking at all right now.

What are the repair options here other than replacing the whole roof? I have seen some people peel back the roof and replace the rotted wood, then glue it back down and seal it. I thought about that, but this is in several spots, not all near the edge. I can't think of much else besides tossing some plywood on top and hoping for the best.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.
18 REPLIES 18

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
This thread has been several years dead. The OP last post was in 2017 and I betcha' he/she is long gone.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
Using sheet metal and coating with Hengs or something else that's a full layer of protection might be a safer alternative, but it won't solve the problem that your roof is compromised and that poses a risk rolling down the road.
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

jy
Explorer
Explorer
I had a similar situation.I bought some aluminum plate about 1/8th inch thick that extended about 6 inches past the soft spots.Drilled holes every six inches around the perimiter,layed down a bead of rv roof caulk and screwed it down right through the roof.Then I caulked all the screws.Its been 3 years and no leaks so far.
2016 wildwood bunkhouse,2018 f150 5.0.Camping with the grandkids now.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
If you are looking to get thru the winter, and will not be moving it.... That opens up some options. I think I would go with a thick piece of plywood, Put a few coats of cheap (home Depot marks down missmatched colors a lot) paint on it to seal it. Lay that over the slide out and maybe a tarp over that.

If the roof is in fact not leaking now, then this should work. It won't win any awards, but it is cheap and easy.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Roof Armor will be $4K+, they do a nice job but if you look at the steps it's very labor intensive. You can get Heng's Roof Coating and roll it on for $50/gal, but that's just another layer of EDPM...usually the rubber membrane itself is not what's leaking unless it has had puncture damage from a tree limb, etc. Usually the leaks are at seal points like vents, TV antenna, etc. You're not seeing drips inside because the water is being absorbed by the flakeboard roof sheathing and insulation. When it gets saturated, it will drip down a wall and start to rot the floor.

I think the plan you have now is best to get you through the winter, and is what I was going to suggest. You really have to play detective, find out what's leaking, where the water is coming in and how extensive the damage is before you formulate a plan to fix it. Usually you only see about 10% of the damage, so figure that soft spot where there's nothing behind the rubber roof is about 1/10 of what needs to be fixed.

murfx2004
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for all the great info, everybody.

I do have the skills and energy to tackle a project like this, but just not the time right now. I know it's not worth all that much, so I don't want to sink a bunch of money into it. If I could get the materials for $500, like hilandfrog, it would definitely be worth doing for me.

It would have to wait until summertime, which is why I'm really trying to come up with a temporary fix to get through the winter. I know I can focus more on a permanent repair during the summer, or pick up a different trailer with the help of tax return money in the spring.

After searching the web a bit, I've found a 10' x 27' canopy for under $200, which I think would fit the bill for now. It'll keep the snow off the roof, so in the event of a heavy wet snow, I should have nothing to worry about anymore.

I'm going to climb up on the roof again this weekend and do a further assessment of the damage to help decide what to do after I get through the winter.

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
DIY is pretty easy. I am 60% disabled (back and legs) 67 yrs old and it still only took me 2 days to replace the trusses, luan, and apply Liquid Roof for RVs link to 1/3 of my 30ft 5er roof. Getting it all together and figuring out what was needed took almost a week 😄

BTW the roof is held together with staples-you might want to rent a air stapler to hold the luan to the trusses.
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

hilandfrog
Explorer
Explorer
Doing it myself and having no clues other than youtube... ~$500

New EDPM, wood, glues and screws. The rubber (20 x 10) was ~$250 from ebay.

A did take a lot of time and I was lucky enough to have a barn to do it in.....

It's no more difficult than anything else just get into to it and don't get overwhelmed, not rocket science, and I'm no smarter than the average bear.

Trusses and EDPM roof.

Repo
05 Tundra 4x4

1977' Road Ranger, Diddums is in action.

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
You would be lucky to get $2-3k on a 2001 26' trailer in decent condition.

Replacing the roof is likely a $4-6k if it turns out to be fairly simple to fix. It could be a lot more if the rot is bad.

If you have the skills and want to put in the effort, you might be able to buy the materials for $1-1.5k and do it yourself.

Nothing you slap on the top will fix the problem if the plywood underneath is rotted out.

Sorry, but no good news.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
I think Carolina Carports make/cut custom sizes... and deliver/assemble....

murfx2004
Explorer
Explorer
Does the EDPM liquid roof have any strength to it? If it's too pliable, it won't do me much good unless I can repair the wood underneath the rubber.

I thought about the idea of a carport too, but I'm in tight quarters, so I might have fitment issues, however it would be the easiest option if I can find a way to make it fit.

Thank you for all the ideas so far. I'm going to make something work to get through the winter.

hilandfrog
Explorer
Explorer
NOT an RV expert or even that smart sometimes 🙂

there is this stuff one can apply to roofs, not a great fix but may get you through...

It's thick like cake frosting, the kind I've applied to an old shed was white, laid it on about 1/2" thick. Was a little like spray foam when dried.

It'd last for the winter but so would a tarp, but IF one wanted to use the camper it may do the trick, even with less than stellar structure under it.

Ames snow seal Premium roof coatings, True value has it for 35.99, 1 gal. 1 gal does 100 SF.

I just did my own home made trusses and then applied a EDPM roof, time consuming and I'm out ~$500 total for the rubber, primer, glue and wood for trusses and 1/4 ply for roof. Of course one would want to ensure the wall wood was stong then strip off old roof, attach trusses to side walls insulate, puddy screw holes and sand apply, primer to wood. then the gluing down of EDPM.. watch lots of Videos... 🙂

Happy camping.
05 Tundra 4x4

1977' Road Ranger, Diddums is in action.

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
metal carport

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
EDPM liquid roof is all I would use... Goes on easy... I used 1 gallon to do front and back 1/4's and all vents etc and edges..

4 gallons is like $400. One gallon I bought on amazon was like $70 bucks..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXaaPOLIyPM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKNgsZ4LHyM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3W6wAh7inSo
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh