cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finally got the camper!

pld33270
Explorer
Explorer
Finally got camper I ordered the week before Labor Day!

2018 KZ Connect Lite 201QB

The wife, dogs, and I did the maiden voyage to Jordan Lake (~20 miles from home). Truck pulled it well, definitely could pull more weight. Overall, the camper is nice. Since we have scaled down A LOT, we are having to cut and trim what we are hauling around in it, but we will get there. (went from a 32' 5er pulled by a GMC Duramax to "see signatur") During the shakedown trip, I found 2 pumping leaks and was quickly able fix it with a little hand tightening. I will get a picture of the rig online some time soon.

Since this unit came pre-wired for the back-up camera, I had the dealer go ahead and install the Furrion unit. Works great and does greatly reduce the need for side mirrors, but I still look in them to confirm the coast is clear.

The other thing, I decided to go with the Anderson WD hitch. So far I like it. I quickly found out I need less weight distribution that I thought. I think I am very close to the sweet spot now for weight distribution and keeping enough tension on the sway control for a good, smooth, and controlled ride. Next week we are doing Myrtle Beach, about 175 mile trip. That will be a good test.
Camp with my lovely wife, Rat Terriers and Jack Chi
2022 Rockwood Minilite 2205S
2015 GMC Canyon, crew cab, long bed
2 Honda EU 2000i
Andersen WDH
7 REPLIES 7

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
pld33270 wrote:
sgfrye,

Hi. I live closer to Apex, but have a Raleigh address.

Since I worked at NCSU and my wife attended NCSU, we only use the word "tarheel" to describe a person from North Carolina, not UNC. LOL! JK!

Jordan Lake State park facilities are nice. We got started going there with church friends for weekend trips. I have camped in Crosswinds, Parker's Creek, and Popular Point. All are nice, but I prefer Popular Point the most. One very nice thing, there is a stoplight on US 64 at Wilsonville adds a level of safety and convenience getting on and off US 64 on to Beaver Creek Road. All the campgrounds have no hook-ups and elec / water. There is not any sewer, but dump station of the way out, and no 50A elec. The sites generally are very long and relatively level. I have parked a 32' 5er, boat trailer and tow vehicle all on one site before. I generally do not take the boat, especially since my daughter does not camp with us any more. Two toy for just a weekend is too much trouble.

I might be contacting you next spring regarding the VA campgrounds. We have camped in a few in VA, but in or near the mountains.

theoldwizard1

Well, my cast iron griddle was the first gone, orders of the boss. Since we were purchasing the camper to be pulled by my existing truck, I kept telling my wife while looking at campers, "that one may be a little too heavy, we need to scale back". Well, I stayed will below the tow rating, but I could have towed more. I have not found a home for the gas grill and camp stove, there is always the back of the truck. We cut back on some other interior cookware as well. I am doing instant coffee until all of this blows over and I find a little spot for a K-cup or little drip coffee maker. Board games are out and cards in. First trip, last weekend, was the bare essentials for two nights. Next week is 5 nights. I will put the gas grill in the back of the truck. Might slip in the cast iron griddle!

My wife uses the storage under one of the dinette benches for the kids outside toys, her seasonal stuff, and board games. They're bulky but they weigh almost nothing so if your benches aren't already full and the wife enjoys board games then it's worth considering.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
pld33270 wrote:
sgfrye,

Since I worked at NCSU and my wife attended NCSU, we only use the word "tarheel" to describe a person from North Carolina, not UNC. LOL! JK!

Jordan Lake State park facilities are nice. We got started going there with church friends for weekend trips. I have camped in Crosswinds, Parker's Creek, and Popular Point. All are nice, but I prefer Popular Point the most. One very nice thing, there is a stoplight on US 64 at Wilsonville adds a level of safety and convenience getting on and off US 64 on to Beaver Creek Road. All the campgrounds have no hook-ups and elec / water. There is not any sewer, but dump station of the way out, and no 50A elec. The sites generally are very long and relatively level. I have parked a 32' 5er, boat trailer and tow vehicle all on one site before. I generally do not take the boat, especially since my daughter does not camp with us any more. Two toy for just a weekend is too much trouble.

I might be contacting you next spring regarding the VA campgrounds. We have camped in a few in VA, but in or near the mountains.

theoldwizard1

Well, my cast iron griddle was the first gone, orders of the boss. Since we were purchasing the camper to be pulled by my existing truck, I kept telling my wife while looking at campers, "that one may be a little too heavy, we need to scale back". Well, I stayed will below the tow rating, but I could have towed more. I have not found a home for the gas grill and camp stove, there is always the back of the truck. We cut back on some other interior cookware as well. I am doing instant coffee until all of this blows over and I find a little spot for a K-cup or little drip coffee maker. Board games are out and cards in. First trip, last weekend, was the bare essentials for two nights. Next week is 5 nights. I will put the gas grill in the back of the truck. Might slip in the cast iron griddle!

10-4 on the tarheel thing. ive backed the pack my whole life. good info on jordan lake,. thanks.

enjoy the camping
look forward to updates!

pld33270
Explorer
Explorer
sgfrye,

theoldwizard1

Camp with my lovely wife, Rat Terriers and Jack Chi
2022 Rockwood Minilite 2205S
2015 GMC Canyon, crew cab, long bed
2 Honda EU 2000i
Andersen WDH

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
pld33270 wrote:
Finally got camper I ordered the week before Labor Day!

2018 KZ Connect Lite 201QB

The wife, dogs, and I did the maiden voyage to Jordan Lake (~20 miles from home). Truck pulled it well, definitely could pull more weight. Overall, the camper is nice. Since we have scaled down A LOT, we are having to cut and trim what we are hauling around in it, but we will get there. (went from a 32' 5er pulled by a GMC Duramax to "see signatur") During the shakedown trip, I found 2 pumping leaks and was quickly able fix it with a little hand tightening. I will get a picture of the rig online some time soon.

Since this unit came pre-wired for the back-up camera, I had the dealer go ahead and install the Furrion unit. Works great and does greatly reduce the need for side mirrors, but I still look in them to confirm the coast is clear.

The other thing, I decided to go with the Anderson WD hitch. So far I like it. I quickly found out I need less weight distribution that I thought. I think I am very close to the sweet spot now for weight distribution and keeping enough tension on the sway control for a good, smooth, and controlled ride. Next week we are doing Myrtle Beach, about 175 mile trip. That will be a good test.

welcome fellow tarheel.

we live close to pinehurst.

my wife and i entered the TT world about 6 months ago.

we've been to several campgrounds in nc, virginia,so far. i would be glad to give some reviews if you are interested

whats your thoughts on jordan lake? which campground were you in? we have a pontoon boat and this spring was thinking about jordan lake.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
pld33270 wrote:
Since we have scaled down A LOT, we are having to cut and trim what we are hauling around in it, ...

Curious, what items have you decided to "live without" ?

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Good looking TT. You will appreciate its size...getting easily into campsites. Most 20-25 foot TT owners are very pleased...like me!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats.
Nice looking unit. You will appreciate the walk on 3 sides of the bed and the corner neo-angle shower.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro