cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Simple question for B&W 5th wheel hitch owners

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I was cleaning up my garage and I came across a little spring which is part of my B&W head. The idea of this spring is to keep the hitch tilted while hooking up the fiver. Either I am misunderstanding something or this spring is of negative value and I might as well turf it. I like having the head sitting level as I am backing up and I adjust the trailer jacks so the "king pin shoe" just clears the hitch face. Do you other B&W owners see any value to this little spring.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5
30 REPLIES 30

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
MFL wrote:
Thanks for the updated photo of a used hitch.:) Yup, that plate surface has the same marring as mine. I do like the powder coat finish on the B&Ws, and the color as well. Gives the hitch a rich look.

Jerry

The GOUGING is from my slip plate falling off and I did not realize it so I traveled 1,300 miles without the plate and ZERO lube.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Thanks for the updated photo of a used hitch.:) Yup, that plate surface has the same marring as mine. I do like the powder coat finish on the B&Ws, and the color as well. Gives the hitch a rich look.

Jerry

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
MFL wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Install per the directions and it does it's job just fine!

Mine with spring installed.

This is a beautiful hitch, not a scratch on it, after several years of ownership. Makes me wonder...is this just a Photo Queen??:C

Maybe time for an updated photo, with some use type scratches.:B

Jerry

For your viewing pleasure!

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

nremtp143
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
Yeah, mine fits tight enough I had to tap it on with a small hammer.

Mine too. If it is falling off, the spring steel is no good. They will send you another one.
2016 Montana 3790RD, Legacy Edition, G614s, TST TPMS
2008 Thor Vortex 26FS
2013 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4, Edge CTS, B&W Companion, Viair 10007 Air System, Firestone Air Bags
2001 Excursion Limited 7.3L 4x4, V/B Springs
2001 Silverado 3500 DRW CCLB 8.1L/Allison 4x4

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yeah, mine fits tight enough I had to tap it on with a small hammer.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
Lar's wrote:
I like it, but it keeps falling off. I've tried pinching the friction tab but it still falls. Without it mine tilts forward as well which can cause it to catch on my plastic doughnut

Any ideas on how to keep it on?

Call them to see if they could send you a new one. You can't pull mine off. You have to take a screw driver and spread it to remove mine. You can't move mine once it's on.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

Lar_s
Explorer
Explorer
I like it, but it keeps falling off. I've tried pinching the friction tab but it still falls. Without it mine tilts forward as well which can cause it to catch on my plastic doughnut

Any ideas on how to keep it on?
Lar

2015 Dynamax Trilogy
36 RL
Ram 3500 Dually

nremtp143
Explorer
Explorer
I've used B&W Companions for years before they came out with the head leveling spring. I much prefer it. Keeps it level for easy hitching.
2016 Montana 3790RD, Legacy Edition, G614s, TST TPMS
2008 Thor Vortex 26FS
2013 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4, Edge CTS, B&W Companion, Viair 10007 Air System, Firestone Air Bags
2001 Excursion Limited 7.3L 4x4, V/B Springs
2001 Silverado 3500 DRW CCLB 8.1L/Allison 4x4

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Helmsey wrote:
I have it installed on mine, but it always ends up rotating upside down and not actually doing anything. I'm 99% sure it's fault and I installed it wrong to make it do that, but it doesn't bother me enough to investigate and fix ๐Ÿ™‚

In spite of thinking the thing is useless, I'm going to install the spring by following the instructions in the video that can be found at this link.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Helmsey
Explorer
Explorer
I have it installed on mine, but it always ends up rotating upside down and not actually doing anything. I'm 99% sure it's fault and I installed it wrong to make it do that, but it doesn't bother me enough to investigate and fix ๐Ÿ™‚
KK4PFX
2015 Chevy 3500HD LTZ Dually
2013 Sandpiper 365SAQ

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

This is a beautiful hitch, not a scratch on it, after several years of ownership. Makes me wonder...is this just a Photo Queen??:C

Jerry

I agree, that photo has been on here more times then even his truck has ๐Ÿ™‚ time for an update.

FlatBroke
Explorer
Explorer
4x4ord wrote:
transamz9 wrote:
My head leans towards the front of the truck without it.

I actually don't mind that at all. If the head leans toward the front of the truck the kingpin gets guided into the jaws by the tapered slot on the hitch. When the B&W hitch is level the tapered part of the hitch misses the kingpin.

^^me too^^

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
4x4ord wrote:
transamz9 wrote:
My head leans towards the front of the truck without it.

I actually don't mind that at all. If the head leans toward the front of the truck the kingpin gets guided into the jaws by the tapered slot on the hitch. When the B&W hitch is level the tapered part of the hitch misses the kingpin.

I don't have any trouble putting the king pin where it goes. If I'm off a little I'll just do a quick little pull up and hit it again. I don't like the side load it puts on the landing gear when it forces it over. It also is hard on my lube plate if the hitch head is leaning forward. I don't guess it's the end of the world if you don't use the spring but if you have it why not. It's supplied for a reason.

I guess it also depends on how you have the upright legs installed. I have mine installed that the king pin is in the farthest position forward. The legs are turned to where the front is straight up and down which allows the head to tilt forward more than it would with the angled side of the leg facing the front of the truck.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Jerry