cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Travel Trailer

MKDSK
Explorer
Explorer
It is okay to leave a travel trailer in one place on a paved driveway for a long time like over a year without moving it at all or will it hurt the tires and the driveway?
16 REPLIES 16

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2010 Town and Country van. It also has phantom circuits. I should have known better.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a buddy that stores his 5th wheel at the beach and it sits for months at a time. Although the exterior has suffered some there's no evidence that the hubs or tires have suffered any more than they would have otherwise.

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
Have stored the old 65 van for extended periods occasionnly (can never spell that word) over the 47 years I've had it. I would start it once in a while, keep fresh oil in it. After ethanol came in would put Stabil (although that Starbrite stuff is better) in it. Still runs great and the time just sitting didn't really hurt it.

(Have had the van since before multi-viscosity oils used Havoline 30 for years, ethanol, low zinc oil, computers, synthetic oils, radial tires, cell phones still had our rotary dial, 4-track tapes yes, there were 4 track tapes, Muntz made them, used to sell them 8-track tapes, cassette tapes, CD's, MP3's, iPods, iTunes, tv remotes, side lights, CHMSL's, mandatory seat belts, terrorism, 55 mph speed limit, kids. Got it one year after marrying the love of my life, just celebrated our 48th anniversary, in the van).

oops, correction, side lites were required in 68, but the 65 didn't have them obviously
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)

MKDSK
Explorer
Explorer
rbpru wrote:
I left my van sit for two month in what turned out to be a wet winter. The battery was dead, a tire was low and the disk brakes stuck solid to the rotors.

I retrospect I should have pulled it into the garage with a battery tender.

A foolish mistake by someone who should know better. "Education costs" as they say.

What year was the van?

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
I left my van sit for two month in what turned out to be a wet winter. The battery was dead, a tire was low and the disk brakes stuck solid to the rotors.

I retrospect I should have pulled it into the garage with a battery tender.

A foolish mistake by someone who should know better. "Education costs" as they say.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
I've left cars for months with no ill effects.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

MKDSK
Explorer
Explorer
rbpru wrote:
Would you leave your cars sit for an extended period of time?
I have left my car sit for over two weeks at the airport.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Would you leave your cars sit for an extended period of time?

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
ours sits in our gravel driveway a lot in the winter (although we can go camping almost anytime of year here in the Pacific NW), so I put 2x12's under the wheels to keep the tires from sitting on cold wet bumpy ground. Also put Harbor Freight covers over them (only about $20 for four, are canvas and work great). I elevate one side to level the TT cause sometimes we use the fridge to hold extra food around Thanksgiving and Xmas and as we live in a park model use it as an extra bedroom and bath for visitors.
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)

owenssailor
Explorer
Explorer
Our trailer sits on our asphalt driveway all summer. I put planks under the wheels to spread the load on the driveway to hopefully avoid dimples in the drive.
2011 Jayco 28U
2012 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 6 spd 3.42 (sold)
2017 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 8 spd 3.42
Equal-i-Zer 1400/14000
RotoChocks

epeters
Explorer
Explorer
Spinning the tires may help with the flat spotting, but my understanding is that driving will cause "lubricants" (lack of the correct term), to spread thru the tire and keep it from drying out. Sitting, and even spinning the tires won't do that from my understanding.
Erik

DW, DS, DD
2018 Nash 29S
2017 GMC Sierra
Retired --> 2004 Silverado Crewcab 1500
2008 Starcraft Antiqua - traded in
2003 Fleetwood Mesa - gone
Photos

MKDSK
Explorer
Explorer
Can't I just jack my travel trailer up a then spin the tires a bit then let it back down, will that work?

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Being conservative I move mine at least every 30 days (only about twice a year that it is stored that long) and keep 65 psi in my LR D TT tires.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
travel trailer
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman