cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Small step for camper

clikrf8
Explorer
Explorer
We have a scissor step to access the camper that attaches to the threshold (?) or back platform of the camper. There is an attached lip that the edge of the step fits into. We have added cotter pins to keep it from sliding out like it almost did on me once. We will keep it as it is great for loading the dogs and packing/unpacking.

However, we often find a place to stop for lunch and want a quick step up instead of setting up the scissor steps. We used to have a piece of channel iron that held a jack that I stepped on while holding to the ladder to gain access. The jack was moved to the front replacement bumper so now I have no step up. I am looking for one with one or two steps that connects to the back like the scissor steps. Something that can just tuck out of the way while we are traveling so it is available for a quick stop. I have seen them so know they exist.

I am also exploring steps that connect to trailer hitch.

Any ideas? Thank-you and happy trails.
2008 Ford F250 SuperDuty 4x4 Off Road Pkg Diesel Ranch Hand Sport Ride Right airbags
2013 Hallmark Ute LX
Toller Mousse: Chocolate Standard Poodle cross
Blitzen: Black Standard Poodle
Photography Website
Photography Blog
29 REPLIES 29

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
We've run the gamut on ways to get into the camper.
1. The original, narrow, 4 step, scissor steps. Too short for a 3 inch lifted/bigger tired Dodge pickup.
2. Glow steps: a step up, o.k. a pun, from the factory steps, but too stiff once they get a little grit in there. Tough on the framing bolts. These were 4-step and too short for our rig, so I added 4-aluminum extesions down from the attaching hardware. That helped but made the entry step 8 inches lower. Very solid and don't depend much on the ground texture. A chainsaw man's wedge now and again will solve those little incongruities.
3. A short aluminum step ladder made in 1955. No pads on the legs so not good on soft sand or undulating ground. Very lightweight, which looms larger as you get older. A little rickety now. It goes against the prime directive for people over 65: 1. "DON'T FALL DOWN".
4. A newer, taller step ladder with the hoop removed. A bit too tall for our entry threshold. Cannot close the door with the ladder up. It would work with a 4 inch lifted Dodge truck, not a 3 inch.
5. A 4-step Little Giant with all extra and expendable parts removed to lighten it up. This has worked out very well with nice wide pads for soft ground and big, wide steps with a gradual incline like stairs for entry. The most solid of the on ground, 'ladder' styles. Heavier than most, and difficult to hoist onto the hook on the TC ladder, as I get older.
6. The Brophy, 2-step on a 20 inch extension receiver hitch. Unlike Whiz, I'm 4-5 inches taller at the receiver, so the Brophy just goes straight into the receiver. I had to drill a 2nd hole(s) for the pin to line up the steps with the threshold. The lower step is a wee bit tall. For traveling long distance, this is a good, no-user-moving-parts, put the pin in and forget it, way to travel. The only woe I see is limited ground clearance on the rear departure angle over very undulating terra. I was thinking of just hanging the whole receiver and Brophy on the rear ladder hanger and strapping it down if we needed maximum departure angle.
There is one more way to enter. If I have the 5 foot wide rear basket in the receiver, I can, with a long step, step on the shear wall on the basket and hoist myself into the box, but this is only a stop gap, so to speak.
So, the bottom line is we have a lot of choices with ways to get into the box. Some good; some not so much.
jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

Travels_with_Yo
Explorer
Explorer
I've never liked the scissor step concept but I won't go into that. We ended up getting a small folding "Little Giant" step ladder (currently selling for $81).

Little Giant step ladder

The tall brace folds forward out of the way. The steps are a nice 9 inches wide which makes footing very stable. The best part of using this arrangement is that it can then also be used to gain access to the roof ladder and any of the upper access hatches needed for servicing the fridge and washing the windshield etc.

MORSNOW
Navigator
Navigator
burningman wrote:
Am I the only one who thinks “One giant leap for RV-kind” every time I see this thread title?

I will now....thanks!
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
Am I the only one who thinks “One giant leap for RV-kind” every time I see this thread title?
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

whizbang
Explorer
Explorer
My favorite step was the Brophy RHS2. I used a hitch extension to get the height and depth just right.
Whizbang
2002 Winnebago Minnie
http://www.raincityhome.com/RAWH/index.htm

clikrf8
Explorer
Explorer
kohldad wrote:
Just come to the east coast for a visit and we will weld one up for you. I probably have enough scrap metal laying around to build one, except for the main tube. All it will cost you is the main tube a few camping stories about the PNW.

Thanks for the offer but we pretty much keep to west of the Rockies exploring mainly in WA, OR, NV, ID, UT and Northern CA. NC looks beautiful, especially the waterfalls and fall foliage. DW has enough scrap and a welder and cutting torch to fabricate something.
2008 Ford F250 SuperDuty 4x4 Off Road Pkg Diesel Ranch Hand Sport Ride Right airbags
2013 Hallmark Ute LX
Photography Website
Photography Blog

clikrf8
Explorer
Explorer
DH just told me that he scrapped the channel iron so that is out. He is now working on one that will work with the hitch. The smal one step fold over is perfect but not at $180. We will keep you posted.
2013 Hallmark Ute LX
Photography Website
Photography Blog

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
clikrf8 wrote:
AnEv942:
Thanks for the research. I should have posted photos but am too lazy to learn how. I believe we can use that step you showed in last image underneath the porch or platform or whatever it is called to the left of left opening door. Where can I buy such a step? I found an image of one on a new Lance on their page but couldn’t find a mention or listing of it there. Does it fold up so it won’t bottom out? We go off road a lot (road to Delamar, NV ghost town, Jumbled Rock Gulch in Nevada, etc.). Hubby can weld so he can put a bracket underneath and bolt it.

Thanks to everyone else who posted.

I think using one that attaches to the lip in the center would block out the license plate so need to go with the left side. I think using one that attaches to the lip in the center would block out the license plate so need to go with the left side. Hitch is out for same reason. We could move plate, I guess.

I had the same issue. The TL Stow & Go steps blocked the license plate (on the truck step bumper from plain view behind which is probably an infraction driving down the road, so I just moved the plate from the truck to the camper itself, mounting it on the left side with a Grote illuminated license plate bracket. Issue solved.

I just have to remember to take the plate off the truck and put it on the camper.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
I bought the Bigfoot used from the original owner. He threw in the scissor steps. The lip on the camper has threaded holes 3/8"? that I put bolts and nuts on to secure. I wrap the steps with a plastic covered cable and a carabiner to keep them from unfolding on the road. No issues yet.
Are the 2 bolts not factory OEM?
I can't see me putting those steps inside the camper.
I have learned that sleet and ice on the steps is almost invisible first thing in the morning.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
Just come to the east coast for a visit and we will weld one up for you. I probably have enough scrap metal laying around to build one, except for the main tube. All it will cost you is the main tube a few camping stories about the PNW.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
clikrf8 wrote:
Grit dog: I find the scissor stairs awkward to use but need them for the pups. And, we mostly pull off on a dirt Road so you need to level them out so they don’t wobble. The red thing is the channel iron that held the jack. It is no longer there. But, yes, DH could cut that channel iron smaller and weld it to left of door. Why didn’t I think of that?

Everyone: I contacted Lance and they were prompt with their reply. Said fold over step is SS PW 2015/part number XM 136. The price is $180.24. Ouch but then anything RV related is $$$$$.

Ouch is right. 180 clams for 10 bucks worth of metal..

I had one on my Lance and still had to use a stool because the bumper step was so high up. Problem with trucking around in a 6 over stock 4x4.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

clikrf8
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog: I find the scissor stairs awkward to use but need them for the pups. And, we mostly pull off on a dirt Road so you need to level them out so they don’t wobble. The red thing is the channel iron that held the jack. It is no longer there. But, yes, DH could cut that channel iron smaller and weld it to left of door. Why didn’t I think of that?

Everyone: I contacted Lance and they were prompt with their reply. Said fold over step is SS PW 2015/part number XM 136. The price is $180.24. Ouch but then anything RV related is $$$$$.
2013 Hallmark Ute LX
Photography Website
Photography Blog

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Not sure what I’m missing here. Scissor steps hard to deploy?
I store them inside the back door of the camper and they literally take 10 seconds to set up once the door is open.
No longer than pulling out a step stool type thing.
What’s that red thing under the camper? Second bumper attached to the trailer hitch? You could fab a permanent off to one side that attaches to it. Or hang a rv step off the camper bumper as shown, if the bumper is sturdy enough.
Another option we used for a while was a hitch carrier. It was used to haul gear but served as a mid step into the camper on the old camper. Of course you’d have to remove it to put the stairs down and lose the red thingy.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

srschang
Nomad
Nomad
I bought a 3' piece of 2"x2"x3/16 wall aluminum tubing, and welded an 8"x2" flat plate on it. When we pull over for a quick stop to use the bathroom or get something out of the camper, I slide the tube into the trailer hitch. It's the perfect height to get into the camper. When we're done, I take the tube out & stick it in the camper on the floor.

If we're going to stay somewhere overnight, we use the stairs.

2022 Ram 3500 Dually Crewcab Longbed Cummins, 2019 Northstar 12 STC