Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Black Tank Washout Problem

FloGrown
Explorer
Explorer
Hello Everyone,
New to Forum. Have a problem.
We recently purchased a Coleman Travel trailer new from Camping World.
We have camped a few times since purchase but never used the black tank flush. Last time we went out decided to use the flush port. Hooked the hose to the port and turned water on. Water immediately started pouring out from bottom of camper. Clean water. Looked underneath and saw a white hose around 5/8" dia. hanging there. Also saw a white threaded port attached to what I assume is the black tank. I can see where the black corrugated plastic bottom has been cut out. My thinking is there was a problem with that area, they cut out the bottom to access that and I reckon they never fixed it and then sold me the camper. Take a look at the pics. Let me know if anyone knows what is going on with this and what parts I need to fix it. I would take it back but I'm sure it will sit there for a while and I can probably fix it easily if I know what to do.
Thanks for any advice, suggestions.
Brian

21 REPLIES 21

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
maillemaker wrote:
1. I know my comment will open a can of worms.

2. I do not know why people washout blackwater tanks. Leave a few gallons of water in the tank and drive down the road and it will wash itself. If there is no place to dump after the drive home simply leave the small amount of **** in the tank. If it dries up over the winter (it probably will not) in the bottom of the tank no big deal. Again a few gallons of water in the tank on the first trip next year and it will be ready to dump when you get to the campground.

3. The sensors are not going to work most of the time anyway.

In summary, I would not do anything. I have been FT for 10 years. Before I FT I "summer camped" for 15 years. I never washout my tank.

I agree. My Winnebago Warrior is 27 years old, and we have owned it for about 10 years. Use it at least once a month. I've never washed or rinsed out the blackwater tank. I put a "poop pellet" in the tank at the start of every trip - one of those packets of enzymes that breaks down the sewage. Then at the end of every trip, I empty my freshwater tank by using a little block of wood to hold open the toilet valve and I allow it to fill up, and then I empty the rest of the freshwater tank into the greywater tank.

Then I go dump the tanks, dumping the black first and grey second to somewhat flush out the hose. We never got a "pyramid", and in fact you can look down the toilet into the blackwater tank and while it is dingy, it is still mostly translucent and light shines through it. I've never bothered with hosing out the tank or any other kind of maintenance to it.

Also my LED level indicators work perfectly. The only time they read strangely is if the tanks have been recently disturbed by water flowing into them or if you are going down the road and they are sloshing around.
My sensors over the last 16 tears and two TTs have always worked perfectly as well.

I think the reason is that I do not use my TT as most here do. My TT never sees a campground, and is never dumped until I get home. I also use the bacteria tank treatment that disolves waste.
Often my TT is towed over 1000 miles and some pretty rough washboard roads before I get home to dump. So everything gets disolved very well.

The one exception was when my wife had a tricky knee surgery, and lived in the TT during her critical recovery time, about 6 weeks.
That messed up the sensors pretty good.
So after dumping that, I refilled the tanks with fresh water and some tank treatment. Let that sit for a month, dumped it and all was well.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

mapguy
Explorer
Explorer
๐Ÿ™‚

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Is that brown junk supposed to be foam sealant? Worst job ever.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

maillemaker
Explorer
Explorer

2. I do not know why people washout blackwater tanks. Leave a few gallons of water in the tank and drive down the road and it will wash itself. If there is no place to dump after the drive home simply leave the small amount of **** in the tank. If it dries up over the winter (it probably will not) in the bottom of the tank no big deal. Again a few gallons of water in the tank on the first trip next year and it will be ready to dump when you get to the campground.

In summary, I would not do anything. I have been FT for 10 years. Before I FT I "summer camped" for 15 years. I never washout my tank.

I agree. My Winnebago Warrior is 27 years old, and we have owned it for about 10 years. Use it at least once a month. I've never washed or rinsed out the blackwater tank. I put a "poop pellet" in the tank at the start of every trip - one of those packets of enzymes that breaks down the sewage. Then at the end of every trip, I empty my freshwater tank by using a little block of wood to hold open the toilet valve and I allow it to fill up, and then I empty the rest of the freshwater tank into the greywater tank.

Then I go dump the tanks, dumping the black first and grey second to somewhat flush out the hose. We never got a "pyramid", and in fact you can look down the toilet into the blackwater tank and while it is dingy, it is still mostly translucent and light shines through it. I've never bothered with hosing out the tank or any other kind of maintenance to it.

Also my LED level indicators work perfectly. The only time they read strangely is if the tanks have been recently disturbed by water flowing into them or if you are going down the road and they are sloshing around.
1990 Winnebago Warrior. "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts!"

FloGrown
Explorer
Explorer
Not worth my time to show CW. I know how they operate.
Local Camper store had parts, 10 min fix
once i had parts. Cost: 12 bucks

FloGrown
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks yall,
Got it fixed. One elbow, one fitting, and
One ft of 1/2" hose.
Everything seems to work fine now.
Dont know why it wasnt put together.
Thanks for the feedback.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
if you previously used the black tank why didn't you use the flush inlet earlier? trying for the dreaded pyramid.
but I would certainly expect camping world to at least provide the fix it parts.
bumpy

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Amazing - especially with a NEW camper. I guess the silver lining is supposed to be that they left the corplast cutout so you could see what happened quickly.

Good lord... I guess every time I think I've seen/heard it all, something else gets reported.

Seems like it should be relatively easy to fix by yourself, but I'd sure be pissed and would at least take pics, and go complain to local CW management. Not that it would do any good, but might make you feel a little better.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
is that white fitting on the tank threaded? if so should be fairly easy to get it back together. More Camping World quality.
bumpy

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
The part installed in the tank wall may have been spin-welded, if that is the case, you better hope that the monkey didn't mess it up.

A vacuum breaker/check valve is to be installed at a level well above the tank. They are very troublesome and expel water as a normal part of their operation. I use only a check valve to prevent water damage.

Here is a diagram to help you, scroll down and enlarge The Flusher on the WATER brochure page 11.

Catalog

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Although it may be easier to fix it yourself, and even easier to ignore completely the flush feature you paid for, letting CW "get away with" shoddy service is not helping you, CW or anyone else that buys from them. What you should do is call the service manager at CW, get his/her email address, sends those pictures and ask what they are going to do about it. Offer to fix it yourself if you want, but they should at least pay for the parts.

As much Charlie Romeo Alpha Papa as Camping World gets, I'll bet that there's a person there that is in charge of fixing quality issues like this and that person needs to know the problems with units going out the door.

Ask yourself this. If you were in charge of the baboon of a tech that did this to your trailer wouldn't you want to know so your could fire his butt?
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad

Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
FloGrown wrote:
Is there supposed to be some type of "backflow preventer" there.
Yes but does not need to be RV specific.

https://www.flows.com/lead-free-check-valve

Home Depot etc. probably has something in plastic for less.

FloGrown wrote:
I see I wasn't supposed to post this in this section but I don't know how to move it.

You need to contact a MOD/ADMIN to move a thread.