cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

King Pin fit?

wdgold
Explorer
Explorer
My king pin does not seem to sit deep enough in the hitch causing slide bar to have trouble sliding over the bottom flange of the king pin. Anyone have an issue with this, are there certain king pin/hitch combos that don't seem to work well.
21 REPLIES 21

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
wdgold wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:
Helped a fellow rv'er in Montana last summer, could not get his hitch to latch, it came down to removing his lube plate, it was beat up a little , and holding the kingpin up just enough that it wouldn't latch. It worked fine once the plate was removed. Apparently some pretty close tolerances on those kingpins or hitches.

That is exactly my situation, I had to remove the lube plat to get it to latch properly. A previous 5th wheel I owned had no issue with lube plate on it and had plenty of gap between pin box and hitch when unhooking at site. I don't see much of a gap on my current one so its hard to tell when the weight is off enough to pull the slide pin.

In his case the lube plate was beat up a bit, and you could see a very slight gap when it sat on the hitch, you would never think it would prevent it latching, but it did. I finally just removed it ,and all was well.

It was actually a pretty new hitch, didn't pay much attention to what brand. He was just happy to get hooked up to leave, they messed with it for quite awhile before I went over, he had a brother-in-law there that was convinced that the kingpin was off center, and the problem. I tried to convince him that it centers itself when entering the hitch, but he was adamant, finally I said humor me . I removed the lube plate, and the latch closed. He mumbled something, and wandered off back to his RV to leave.

Curly2001
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks
curly
2019 Chev. Double cab 2500HD, 6.0, 4:10 diffs, six speed auto
2013 Heartland Sundance XLT 265RK

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I always grease my kingpin where my 1" machined jaws contact it.

same for me.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I always grease my kingpin where my 1" machined jaws contact it.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Curly2001
Explorer
Explorer
Do we need to lube the pin itself? I have a slide bar and see a little wear on it.

Thanks,
Curly
2019 Chev. Double cab 2500HD, 6.0, 4:10 diffs, six speed auto
2013 Heartland Sundance XLT 265RK

wdgold
Explorer
Explorer
cummins2014 wrote:
Helped a fellow rv'er in Montana last summer, could not get his hitch to latch, it came down to removing his lube plate, it was beat up a little , and holding the kingpin up just enough that it wouldn't latch. It worked fine once the plate was removed. Apparently some pretty close tolerances on those kingpins or hitches.

That is exactly my situation, I had to remove the lube plat to get it to latch properly. A previous 5th wheel I owned had no issue with lube plate on it and had plenty of gap between pin box and hitch when unhooking at site. I don't see much of a gap on my current one so its hard to tell when the weight is off enough to pull the slide pin.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer

wdgold
Explorer
Explorer
I know one thing I will do is clean off all the old gunk\grease off the pin and slide bar that may help my situation

Bipeflier
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a Link to king pins from a manufacturer. Looks like there may be several different ones out there but the pin itself are all the same.
2010 Cruiser CF30SK Patriot
2016 3500 Duramax
1950 Right Hand Seat GPS (she tells me where to go)

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
joebedford wrote:
All those locks will certainly stop a "casual 5th wheel thief". ๐Ÿ™‚

ONLY have 5 locks on it, thought 7 would be OVERKILL. :B
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
All those locks will certainly stop a "casual 5th wheel thief". ๐Ÿ™‚

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
goducks10 wrote:
You can fix it with the B&W replacement kit.

Like this???

wdgold
Explorer
Explorer
- My king pin total length is 3"
- Length to bottom of pin groove is 2 1/2"
- Bottom of hitch slide bar to top face of hitch is 2 3/16"
That only leaves me with a 1/16" clearance between bottom of slide bar and pin groove. I'm getting to wonder if the pin is just to short for this particular hitch.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
You can fix it with the B&W replacement kit.