cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

plate taxes.

packnrat
Explorer
Explorer
well it is looking like i will be forced to retire within 10 years. (58 now).

what states are rv frendly with the taxes for the rvs?
as ca is way to high now, let alone after my income gets cut down to less than a quater of my working income.

i just need to get myself set up just so i can even afford to live, not just sit and stare at a wall.
2006 F250 4X4 auto 6.0 short bed
2001 sunnybrook 24 ft
1984 cj7 built up a bit
kg6tgu
never too many toys, just not enought room to keep them
one dog who belives she is the master. rip 12 12 2007
12 loving years and loyal to the end.
just out having fun
26 REPLIES 26

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
What kind of RV? If towable, some states issue permanent plates, so there is only a one-time fee, but the plates for the tow vehicle might be relatively high or low. This state does not require any plate at all on trailers, including RVs, not used commercially or in agriculture, but try to explain that when you get stopped in another state.

For motorized RVs, states might tax on value or weight, or might just have a registration fee each year after collecting a sales or excise tax on issuing a title. My motorhome is registered as a passenger vehicle, tag fee is currently $45 (+ $1.50 to tag office for insurance verification). That's because of how long it has been registered, the tag is on a downward sliding scale that started at $120 the first three years. Excise tax was 3.25% of purchase price, paid once 12 years ago.

I would not focus on vehicle registration costs or other taxes in looking for a less expensive place to live, because the big driver for cost of living is land values, which in turn influence wages and taxes, thus cost of services. If you want to live on a budget, you live where land values are low.

There are rural areas, and some almost ghost towns, here and in East Texas, and across much of the Deep South, where you can rent a house for as little as $400 a month or buy one well under $50,000, so it might be cheaper than parking a RV. I suspect there might be similar bargains in much of the Southwest and rural Great Plains where population densities are low and the climate is too miserable to draw hordes of retirees.

How cheap rural living can be depends on what urban amenities you can do without. I know people who still live without electricity, telephone service, or running water, and the nearest grocery store or gas station is more than 30 miles away. Their living costs are quite low, as they also grow much of their own food. I know other people who consider it a major disaster if they don't have a high-speed data connection and drive-through fast food.

I'm one of those who can't make those rural living sacrifices. Rather I live in the old downtown of a small city to have most things I need within walking distance or by short car trips. My small city choice means lowest rents are $800-1000, cheapest usable houses $50,000-70,000, property taxes $2000-3000 a year, water and waste collection about $45 a month, electricity and gas about $200 (when one is high the other is low). The big expenses that don't vary much by location are communications services (entirely optional) and Medicare and supplement premiums.

Except for road trips, I drive less than 1000 miles a year. I noticed today that I put gas in my car three times in 2015, twice in 2016, three times in 2017. That's typically 6 to 8 gallons a fill, it is a small car. I stay busy volunteering in community programs, and I can usually walk to those job. Walking everywhere helps use up my time and it feels good. If in more of a hurry, I might ride my bicycle.

If you are thinking about retiring in a RV to be moving around, the moving around part is what will be what is most expensive. But you are also going to have to park a RV somewhere, and you might be looking at $400-2000 a month, depending on land values where you are and seasonal demand.

My retirement luxury is travel, whether by road trip, cruises or group travel. I'm currently far away from family, my kids move around a lot (school, jobs, military service). I usually road trip to visit family. Each 2500-3000 mile round trip to visit my brother, my sisters, or daughters uses $400-500 worth of fuel and about $200 for meals and accommodations by truck or van. If I take the RV is is more like $800-1200 worth of fuel and $150-200 for overnight accommodations enroute, another $400-$1200 for camping fees at destinations, depending on how long I stay and which place I go. If I can get bargain air fares, air travel is cheaper for these family visits.

The group tours are another matter. One to two week motorcoach tours have been $1500 to $4500, depending on destinations and whether or not air travel is involved, going much higher for destinations like Asia, Australia or Africa. I've put almost $10,000 into two to three week cruises with extension tours on each end. But I set a travel budget for each year, and it might go for one big trip, a couple medium size trips, or a half dozen road trips.

So I am suggesting, when planning for a retirement lifestyle with a limited budget, don't necessarily think of it as a RV lifestyle. That's one option, but travel is sort of integrated into that, and travel is what will be expensive. Look at low cost ways to live, and if what you want to do is RV, then budget that as a luxury paid with what is left over after living costs.

That being said, there a many people here who live full time in RVs, at low cost, by doing it with minimal travel. My cousin makes two trips a year, one from his Northern Michigan forest cabin to his RV location in South Florida, the other from Florida back to Michigan. He makes these trips slowly, visiting people and places enroute, not hauling around the RV, because his luxury is riding his motorcycles, and when making this migration he camps out of the motorcycle trailer.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I think it's better to look at each state's overall tax burden instead of focusing on just one particular tax.

Every year Forbes and Kiplinger (among others) put together their lists and it's interesting to see. Just Google 'Best states for taxes' and you'll see their links.

FWIW, Kiplinger (Oct, 2017) has Wyoming at #1, Alaska at #2, SD at #3 and Florida at #4. Texas is middle-ish. California is 8th from the bottom.

Choosing a state to license vehicles in kinda leads to a discussion about which state to 'domicile' in.

There can be other things to factor in when making a decision, such as weather and crime statistics.

Kiplinger also has their list of top states for retirees.

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
โ€œwhat states are rv frendly with the taxes for the rvs?โ€

After you pay the purchase sales tax thereโ€™s only yearly CA registration.

What high RV taxes?

Wondering the same thing....:h..:h

Owned RVs in CA since 1975 - everything from slide-in campers, motor homes, travel trailers, and 5th wheel.

Never been taxed on any of them...:h

Annual registration = yes, taxed = NO.

And.... BTW - you can *legally* avoid paying any sales tax when you're retired via the CA 90 day rule (which is one year now)...:C

~

Lexx
Explorer
Explorer
Vancouver, WA seems like a good place to live. You have no income tax in WA, and you can do all your shopping across the river in Portland,OR where there is no sales tax. Double win. Only thing not so good is the school districts don't look that great in Vancouver, WA.
2017 Ruby Red Platinum F450 - my kids call her "Big Red"
2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

miltvill
Explorer
Explorer
Florida sales tax varies from county to county. In Broward County the sales tax is 6%. In Miami-Dade and Palm Beach County the sales tax is 7%. The state sales tax is 6% but allows each county to add 1% to their sales tax. We in Broward County keep voting NO on the extra 1% or penny tax. When you purchase your RV in Florida you pay the tax rate for the county you live in not the county you purchased your RV in. My vehicles and RV are registered in Broward County so I paid a 6% sales tax on them at the time of purchase.

Property taxes and homeowners insurance vary by county. In central Florida and north Florida the cost of living is much cheaper then south Florida. The key is to live close to hospitals and were there are no jobs so, only retired people will move there.

Florida has no state income tax or special tax on RVs or Yachts. Just renew your plate every year for $30 to $100. The rate is determined by the weight of your vehicle.

If you want to live by the beach or on the gulf course then you are going to pay more.
2020 GMC Denali\Duramax 3500HD Dually Crew Cab
Sold-Trail Cruiser TC23QB

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
to the OP...I'm curious. are you on a contract with DISH? DISH has a pay-as-you-go plan. you only pay for the months you use the service. a few days before we head out I call DISH, pay for a month's service which activates the service. while we're on the road I pay the bill for the upcoming months using their website. when we get home I cancel the service by not paying for the next month. no need to speak or argue with anyone from DISH. you might want to look into that.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Decide whether youโ€™re going after less income tax ultimately or less out of pocket expense. (Out of pocket being not only your license plates but all other expenses including sales tax, vehicle use tax etc. ). A dollar is a dollar doesnโ€™t matter if youโ€™re giving it to Mc Ds for a cheezzburger or the dmv or the irs.

While WA has high general cost of living in some areas and high sales tax and a bunch of gotchas when it comes to use tax, it has no income tax. I could argue that I can live cheaper here than some state with half the sales tax and super cheap license plates.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

travelnutz
Explorer
Explorer
Dog Trainer,

Non-motorized RV's licensed in Michigan are permanent and have a one time fee of less than $300 and never have to be renewed again for as long as you own the RV. Very cheap!!!

It was your choice to own a motorized RV and thus must pay the costs for licening it then in Michigan or any other state. My Brother, who lives in Jupiter Florida, has a 35' class A MH and his yearly license fees are far from cheap by any stretch as I have seen the paperwork and add in high insurance costs for a MH and also not only the 7% state sales tax (6% in Michigan period with food and drugs exempt) but also the per county Florida sales taxes that make it around 9% to 10% actual sales tax. County sales taxes are also on fuel per gallon and fuel is far more expensive on average than in Michigan at the pump.

We winter in north central Florida about 50 miles SW of Gainesville for about 2-1/2 months each year and have for 5 years now and know. Also, groceries are much higher in Florida than in Michigan and groceries and CG's are even still much higher to outragous in South Florida yet as we used to winter down there before for 19 years.

Grew very tired of the swampiness, the bugs etc, the traffic jams, tiny jammed together RV sites, and overpriced everything in South Florida and miss it like having 2 broken arms!
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Michigan will do permanent plates for out of state residents for trailers. Takes an inspection and 3 years plate fees. I'm planning to do it soon with my trailer as 3x MI fees is only about 130% of Ohios fees. Do contact your insurer and look up the local rules, regulations, and laws about out of state registrations before attempting (though due to commercial interests there are rarely laws regarding trailers with out of state plates, only likely to be an issue if your state has a specific section regarding non-commercial trailers)
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

delwhjr
Explorer
Explorer
delwhjr wrote:
Here is a good comparison of taxes for retirement by state along with other information.
Taxes by State

URL fixed
2022 Rockwood 2109S
2006 Durango HEMI

minnow
Explorer
Explorer
Link does not work.

delwhjr
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a good comparison of taxes for retirement by state along with other information.
Taxes by State

URL fixed
2022 Rockwood 2109S
2006 Durango HEMI

Dog_Trainer
Explorer
Explorer
I like Florida as a home state and I am becoming a reverse smowbird. Meaning more time down south than up north. My plates are relatively inexpensive something like $48 per year. I like the old fl. atmosphere and the temps of the N. Central area are more to my liking. The sales tax here is 7% and other taxes generally better than my old home state of MI. The license for the MH in Mi. would be around $800.00 If you have a smaller income Taxes may not be a major factor in many states that you look at as your income may get you significant tax breaks.
2016 Newmar Baystar 3401
2011 HHR Toad
Daktari & Lydia Cavalier King Charles , Annie get your guns, our English setter (fur Bearing Children)

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
First you will need to decide how you want to live , then try to decide where.
Every state has a need for a certain amount of money to function, and then some determine they want a lot of extra stuff that forces that number higher.
If you don't care for the arts, cost associated with them are unacceptable to you. The same can be said for all services above what a locality considers a bare minimum.
Taxes vary widely and something younger folks don't consider is that some areas have substantial breaks for seniors.
Myself, I have decided to look for low taxes, small town setting with medical college or university within 50 miles, avg summer high in low to mid 80's, avg winter lows in high 30's and snowfall under 18".
I don't want nightlife, like quiet, refuse to consider public transportation, and generally want to be left alone by government.

If you are going mobile for a couple of years to find that spot, check with an outfit like
https://www.escapees.com/
Setting domicile, mail services and the like are all covered and they have material there to explain.
Also select a state for your mobile time that simplify's registration and inspection requirements unless you are certain you will be going back there every year to get a safety or smog check, some states don't require those.
You have a ton of possibilities to consider, enjoy the journey.