cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which wax/polish is best?

deer30084
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, I know there are posts on this topic already; some very old. I just bought a new 2018 fiberglass travel trailer. As you can imagine, it has numerous decals. I've been reading about what wax/polish is best. As many people as you can count, that's how many opinions there are out there. So why ask for more? I don't know. Anyway, I have always been a fan of NuFinish. But then there's the petroleum distillate issue and that it might affect decals which are plastic (I believe). I read about petroleum distillates and found out it is "broken down" to suit many different products. I don't know if NuFinish has petroleum distillate in it or not. The bottle doesn't say. But I know Meguiars products do and everybody seems to swear by Meguiars. So then, how about your opinion? Here's the direct question: What is the best wax/polish product to wax/polish a fiberglass travel trailer with decals?
26 REPLIES 26

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
rickm wrote:
Ron3rd wrote:
Don't wax your decals

Why not ???

Some waxes might be OK, but I should have said, "don't use products with petroleum distillates" which are hard on vinyl decals.

BTW, I use 303 Protectant on my trailer's decals and they still look like new after 4 years in the hot So Cal sun. Use 303 if you really want them to last a long time. The UV is what kills 'em and 303 protects against that.

If some of you wax your decals and it works for you, that's fine. The product I was using prior ruined the decals on my old trailer.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

GottaRunGottaCa
Explorer
Explorer
keymastr wrote:
This polish from Starbrite is awesome. Tons of UV inhibitors and since it is a polymer it lasts nearly a full year. Even after a year it beads water well. I use it on my boat as well, great stuff and very easy to apply. https://www.amazon.com/Star-brite-Premium-Marine-Polish/dp/B0000AYB18/ref=pd_ybh_a_11?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=356WDQK5CWQ1V41SR61V

This is what I use, after being a boater for many years, I have not found anything better.
:C
2016 F350
2019 Heartland Torque TQ-371

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
Found some Starbrite One Step Cleaner wax at the local marine store and it does work good.
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)

TundraTower
Explorer
Explorer
When we took delivery of our new 2014 FR Cherokee I called the factory warranty number and asked this very question. They guy was very nice and actually had to go find the answer and call me back.

They said I could wax the smooth decals/graphics, but not to wax the decals with texture. He even put a note in my file in case it caused a problem later.

I've been using McGuires boat wax and it works great and lasts a long time. Never have put anything on the decals with texture.
2013 Tundra, 5.7FF, TRD, 4WD, tow pkg
2014 Forest River Cherokee 264
Prodigy II / Equalizer 10K
103 nights & 12,700 miles since April '13

rickm
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:
Don't wax your decals

Why not ???
2017 Jayflight 26BH Elite

rickm
Explorer
Explorer
Liquid Glass .... put it on in the shade, let it bake in the sun, will last all season!
2017 Jayflight 26BH Elite

westend
Explorer
Explorer
The marine waxes are what you want for the best shine and protection. Burnished with a buffer, a good wax session should last a year.

For guys that want to remove oxidation, there is Jasco Prepaint Conditioner or other TSP substitutes that will remove any oxidation. I spray it on with a garden sprayer.

I also have some Parfe spray wax that goes on with the sprayer but it isn't as good as a buffed out marine wax, just a heck of a lot easier.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Dirtpig
Explorer
Explorer
Dont use any type of polish on your RV you will probably do more harm then good. Use a wax or sealant. If the finish is dull or oxidized use waxes labelled as a cleaner wax. I prefer cleaner wax on my RV, once a year though i wish it were twice a year if i had the time.
2015 Nash 25C bumper pull /w 300watts solar my install
My Truck & RV youtube channel
2005 F-350 Diesel 4x4 CC SB SRW
2001 Honda XR400: many mods
12ft Lund WC boat & 9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke on custom loader.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I use NuFinish annually. Goes on easy and last for a long time.

Bill___Kate
Explorer
Explorer
LVJJJ wrote:
We just bought a 2005 Trail Cruiser and the sides are shiney but the front and back are dull. NuFinsh or TR3 didn't make any difference, will the Colinite or Starbrite restore the gloss?

Probably not. You need to remove the oxidation first. Most the major companies including Starbrite make a "oxidation remover" for fiberglass boats. It works best with an orbital circular polisher machine, but you can do it my hand. Then follow up with a combination cleaner polish for fiberglass, and then a final coat of polish like NuFinish or a good wax if you prefer. It you keep up on it before it gets bad again you can stay ahead of the oxidation.

If it is really badly oxidized, you can use one of the acrylic coatings like PoliGlo or even a high gloss floor coating like ZEP. I have used them on my old, badly oxidized boat, and they give pretty good results.
Bill & Kate - Stone Harbor, NJ
w/ Bailey (standard poodle) and Zeke (partipoodle)- both rescues
2018 Ford F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab w/ 6.2L gasser
2014 Forest River Wildcat 272RLX fifth wheel

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
We just bought a 2005 Trail Cruiser and the sides are shiney but the front and back are dull. NuFinsh or TR3 didn't make any difference, will the Colinite or Starbrite restore the gloss?
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)

Bill___Kate
Explorer
Explorer
I hit the decals with Aerospace 303 hoping to seal up the edges a little bit before using Nu-Finish. Once a year for the sides, but the nosecone needs at least twice a year. This year I am going to finish up with a couple coats of Top Coat because I love how it works on out cars.
Bill & Kate - Stone Harbor, NJ
w/ Bailey (standard poodle) and Zeke (partipoodle)- both rescues
2018 Ford F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab w/ 6.2L gasser
2014 Forest River Wildcat 272RLX fifth wheel

mordecai81
Explorer
Explorer
I use 303 Aerospace Protectant on the decals. There is nothing better for UV protection. The downsides are cost and have to reapply every 6 weeks or so. Very easy to apply so it doesn't take much time.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have used MeQuire's cleaner wax on my TT for the last 14 years. It as the name states, cleans, and shines the paint on Aluminum sided TTs, and the GelCoat on Fiberglass sided TTs with the same GREAT results. It is easy on, and off.

Also It will NOT hurt the decals, in fact it protects them, and makes them shine as well.

It leaves the surface super slick, easy to wash. Nothing sticks to it.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers