cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking for information

Askwines323
Explorer
Explorer
Starting to research 5th wheels. I'm following the advice of many to focus on the build first, not the bells and whistles.

I'm trying to find information on comparisons of frames and suspensions available. Tried searching but no luck.

Thanks

Alan
32 REPLIES 32

pcm1959
Explorer
Explorer
ckwizard777 wrote:
Askwines323 wrote:
Thanks, guess I'm looking for comparison between an I beam vs. A box frame. Which is considered better and why.

Stacked box frames are what I prefer as they will be considerably stronger with a lot less frame flex that your typical I beam frame.
DRV uses this type of frame and the old Sunnybrooks use to have this type of frame but no longer do.
Now many of the other high end builders will use a 12 I beam frame but will also weld a heavy wall square tube along the bottom of the I beam to beef it up and reduce frame flex, I would be ok with this set-up also.
Good luck

Stacked box is what Carriage and Lifestyle were built on, too. Very solid.
2018 GMC Sierra 3500 DRW 4x4 Duramax/Allison
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL

ToddD
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a good frame and suspension overview. Hybrid type of construction with vertically reinforced I-beams:

https://youtu.be/fDdAlKdt79Q
Todd
2018 Jayco 377RLBH
2019 Ford F-450 Platinum

ckwizard777
Explorer
Explorer
Askwines323 wrote:
Thanks, guess I'm looking for comparison between an I beam vs. A box frame. Which is considered better and why.

Stacked box frames are what I prefer as they will be considerably stronger with a lot less frame flex that your typical I beam frame.
DRV uses this type of frame and the old Sunnybrooks use to have this type of frame but no longer do.
Now many of the other high end builders will use a 12 I beam frame but will also weld a heavy wall square tube along the bottom of the I beam to beef it up and reduce frame flex, I would be ok with this set-up also.
Good luck
Ken & Deb
2008 Montana 3400
2007 Chevy 3500HD CC,LB Dually 8.1

justme
Explorer
Explorer
I am going to buy a new unit this winter in Florida. I will be paying a lot of attention to how the units are designed, material used, appliances selected, chassis components, fit and trim and features upgrades offered. My budget is $100K. The dealer is not as important as the manufacturer because I travel and do most of the maintenance myself-- and I am self insuring.

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
In the very back of my mind somewhere I'm thinking about my next fifth wheel as well.....probably 5 years down the road. I kind of think I know what it is going to be.....yet, I have a hard time imagining the future me spending that kind of money on an RV.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can never do too much research. We were about 2 years worth also. Did the Hershey, PA show twice. Made a point of visiting dealerships whenever we were in the US. Lurked on RV.net for don't know how long. Went through manufacturers websites over & over.

By the time that time to buy came around we were down to just a few possible models from 3 builders. All 3 builders were small & all models were rare so it took some time for the right one to pop up online.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Askwines323
Explorer
Explorer
We are in the very early stages of research, probably 2 years out unless some miracle happens and start sooner.

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm curious as to where you're at in your quest? When do you hope to make your purchase?
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

justme
Explorer
Explorer
Lippert builds their frame to the spec's the RV mfg requests. So it is impossible to make a decision based on Lippert built. They build both quality and junk based the RV mfg. specs. The same goes for Dexter and most other OEM's.

ken_burke
Explorer
Explorer
Askwines323 wrote:
Starting to research 5th wheels. I'm following the advice of many to focus on the build first, not the bells and whistles.

I'm trying to find information on comparisons of frames and suspensions available. Tried searching but no luck.

Thanks

Alan

I would go with a Forest River built 5th wheel. They are well made and the factory is very customer friendly.
The most important thing is to find a good, honost dealer. I am not sure how you do that. If you get a bad dealer (only interested in the sale) you will be very unhappy.
AS mentioned most 99% are made my Lippert.
ken
2011 Ford F-350 6.7 diesel, Crew Cab, LB, SRW, 4X4, White
Cedar Creek 34SB, 37 feet 5th wheel, Reese 20K Hitch
"So many questions, so little time."

Askwines323
Explorer
Explorer
Agree, I'm working my way up!
I have seen a lot on cabinet quality on the boards.
These forums are extremely helpful and appreciate everyone's feedback

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
You are concentrating on frame and suspension, but to me the interior cabinet work is just as important also. Like how many screws are there in the slides to the drawers, how the back side of the drawer slides are supported, the quality of the wood used, the quality of the fit and finish etc. Just one mans thoughts.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Butch50 wrote:
When NUWA was still in operation I believe a lot of their frames were made by Young's Welding. Very good frames. Young's Welding just happens to be located in Chanute, KS. Pretty handy for NUWA.

If it's painted "WHITE" it's a Young's frame. NUWA did have some Lippert I believe in their lower cost units.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

pcm1959
Explorer
Explorer
I'm very confident in the integrity of my 2014 Lifestyle frame. My Big Foot jack controls are on the street side. One day as I was lowering the front landing gear I did so without realizing that only the left was working. I lifted the rig off the hitch before realizing it. I was surprised tat I never heard a creak or pop from the frame or saw any thing out of the ordinary.
2018 GMC Sierra 3500 DRW 4x4 Duramax/Allison
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL