cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TINY HOUSE THOUGHTS

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
Just heard on the Portland news we are where the tiny house trend started. I have watched Tiny House builds on TV. They appear very heavy and do not appear very road worthy. I keep wondering if these people have ever heard of an RV? What am I missing here?
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)
43 REPLIES 43

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
All the well thought out questions have little bearing on items such as RV's, power boats, high dollar sports cars and yes, the Tiny Houses. You buy one because you want one and have a specific purpose in mind.

I saw a 40+ ft. fifth wheel selling for over $200,000.00. That kind of money could and often is put to other uses, some of which even return a profit.

Nobody needs to justify their desire for an object, no matter how crazy it seems to others. The world of Fine Art thrives on such desires. ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

troubledwaters
Explorer II
Explorer II
SidecarFlip wrote:
bdpreece wrote:
The tiny house craze seems to be driven by the need for new or unique TV shows more than anything else. HGTV seems to really have a lot on tiny homes. Although tiny homes are probably better designed for year around living they are not really designed to be road worthy for more than short distances in most cases. I suspect the mojor draw is, parking them on city lots without having to meet building codes or having to pay property taxes.

Which is why most zoned communities are enacting ordinances against them.

For what one costs, one could buy a new truck camper loaded, that is, if a person wants limited storage in a moveable home...
I don't know where you live, but "Exclusionary Zoning" is illegal in Michigan (MCL 125.273).

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Papa Steve wrote:
Some of the questions I'd like to have answered on all these Tiny House shows are:

1. Where are they going to put the house once it's built?
2. How heavy is the final product?
3. What are they going to do for utilities?
4. How are they going to move it?

I've only seen a few times where they say they have land ready. I did see 1 final weight. It was a 27 foot tiny house that weighed 16,000 pounds. Don't know how they were going to move it. My previous 27 foot travel trailer weighed 7,000 pounds.

Looked at 30+ foot tiny house built on a gooseneck trailer last year at the Birmingham RV show. It weighed 23000 lbs and talking with the dealer he of course said any dually truck could tow it. Had to educate him on that response. The unit was beatiful and had a $80000 price tag on it.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
All four of those questions are easily answered by tiny homes are basically mini mobile homes on wheels just as a mobile home is and hooked up just the same way to utilities.

I have lived in several mobile homes,bought two new..The difference between a tiny home and a travel trailer/fifth wheel is huge.

As an example,Nashua homes out of Boise Idaho builds tiny houses for Teton homes that state:

Designed for colder climates and heavy snow loads, the homes have R-40, R21 and R33 insulation, high efficiency furnaces and Low E dual pane windows. Other amenities include Whirlpool Energy Star appliances, fiber cement siding, Corten corrugated steel roofing, rough cedar siding accents, hardwood cabinets, sleeping lofts and barn style bath and bedroom doors that slide along runners.

Tiny homes are popular around here with lot rent running $200 a month in a mobile home/RV park.Or you could set in at a park on the Clearwater river with river frontage for about the same price or you could buy your own lot in a community on the main Clearwater river.

There not for everyone but they are better suited for full time living than an RV of any sort.
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

Papa_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
Some of the questions I'd like to have answered on all these Tiny House shows are:

1. Where are they going to put the house once it's built?
2. How heavy is the final product?
3. What are they going to do for utilities?
4. How are they going to move it?

I've only seen a few times where they say they have land ready. I did see 1 final weight. It was a 27 foot tiny house that weighed 16,000 pounds. Don't know how they were going to move it. My previous 27 foot travel trailer weighed 7,000 pounds.
Steve

2016 GMC 2500HD duramax 4x4
2018 Cougar 311RES

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I see the tiny houses as a possible solution for those with limited funds, would like a home, and are able to live in a small box. Younger folks seem more interested from my reading.

There is a retired designer in BC that is living full time in a tiny house he designed and built. He likes it and stated that he was banking money on a small pension. He is leasing the land for a pittance, has the cooperation of local Govt. officials, and has thought through many of the systems needed to run the house comfortably. I'm sorry, memory fails as to his name.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Ductape_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
2 things I don't like about tiny houses is 1. most of the narrow stairs have no railing on the open side which is a disaster waiting to happen if you lose your balance and 2. the bedrooms in the loft without a decent size sky lite is just a fire trap when a fire breaks out, there is no emergency exit. At least RV's have fire exits when away from the exit door. Tiny houses are not built to code as far as fire egress and safety are concerned. I certainly would not want to be in the loft if there was a fire below and all you have is the toxic smoke that rises to the loft without a proper means to escape. I am sure when enough people start becoming french fries then proper building codes will be required for these tiny dwellings.
2016 Coachmen Clipper 17BH
2016 Toyota 4Runner SR5

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Tiny homes have a more homey feel, which seems like the allure for people. They are heavier, but they are normally decked out with residential grade compliments. Also tiny homes are designed and built for people to live in them year round. You'll often get things like better insulation, more durable construction, residential grade roofs, etc. They are great for those who don't have to move often like those who are stationed around the country for months at a time. Consultants, traveling nurses, and disaster response personnel comes to mind.

On the other hand, RVs are designed to be highly mobile. Setup and take down time is very minimal. You'll never have to worry about finding a spot for your RV. Materials are a lot lighter weight and the shape is more aerodynamic. But all of that mobility comes at a cost. They aren't very customizable. The materials and construction aren't as durable. Maintenance can be greater as well. A metal roof on a tiny house needs very little maintenance and will probably outlast the box under it. A RV can easily be destroyed by skipping a few years of maintenance on the roof. To keep the weight down you often get the minimums like in insulation, structure, and weatherproofing.

I don't have a desire to have a tiny house, but I can see how they can be beneficial to their owners.

hilandfrog
Explorer
Explorer
almost all the comments I agree with... the TAX thing.
I'm loving people screwing the GOVT out of $$ they can't seem to manage, particularly in highly tax areas...
The govt has overstepped what their purpose is ( too many services are provided from tax $$ ) and this in my mind is a correction by the people that the system has stopped listening to.
That the tiny house trend pushes these are 365 road worthy is the greatest laugh of all.

VR
-Repo
05 Tundra 4x4

1977' Road Ranger, Diddums is in action.

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting thread. The "tiny house" thing is still a thing? I thought it faded out last year.

If it works for you, great! If not, then do something else.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
ken56 wrote:
They threaten the tax base, that's why you can't live full time in an RV either. Even if its on an improved lot with utilities its not a permanent structure so its not subject to the same taxes as a sticks and bricks home. I do believe they are constructed to code standards although they may not have the required inspections a permanent structure may be subjected to. They are no more dangerous to its occupants any more than your RV is. Its all about the money.....money the taxing agency will lose.

What.......????.......RV's or tiny houses? If your saying RV's that's a huge stretch LOL. That little silver decal from RVIA????

Muuuhahahahahahahahah.....that's a good one!
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
While people have always done crazy things, the "trend" is purely made up.

If you want to use one as a cabin back in the woods, never to move, it's viable but...
- In a populated area, expect zoning to keep you out (or illegal).
- If you want to move, it's way heavy for the size and won't hold up as well as an RV.

While RV's aren't typically built like a brick house, they will likely hold up as well (particularly if they aren't moving) and can be had for much less money.

In the end it's 95% TV show hype.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Wolfrequiem
Explorer
Explorer
And, as for storage, etc.--they are what you make of them: mine will have plenty, as I'm adding a slide-out that is nothing but a closet. The biggest thing is my l library and weight, but I'll block it up when parked and empty it to move it, so I won't bend my axles or spindles.

But it's all really relative, and certainly what you see one place isn't necessarily what you can do. Oh, and my porch will be detachable, so that I don't have to waste trailer space on it--it'll run down the length of one side, with the roof attached on hinges, and the deck in three pieces you simply bolt up to the wall.

I can't wait! Though it'll be awhile yet, with everything else I have going on at the moment. And, with me, I already have a lot of the materials laying around, from various jobs and where I've done tear downs and the like, during the off season.

But it's just like most of life: Just what you make of it. ๐Ÿ™‚

Wolfrequiem
Explorer
Explorer
Johno02 wrote:
As before, seems like a lot of folks have a lot more money than common sense.

^^^This. For sure. "A fool and there money..." and all that good stuff.

Some of you are wrong in thinking the programming came before the actual trend, however--HGTV, etc., picked up on what wasn't a terribly little known secret, that's all. It's not like they created the fad. The fad then kicked in to high heaven, no argument there.

As a carpenter who is about to build his own, and who already lives in an older fifth wheel (for six years, now), though one I've maintained, there are a couple of terrible misconceptions coming from this line of thinking (the complaint, I mean).

First, yes, it's outrageous to pay what they do for them, I think that's all our issues with it here, when the $26K one I have seen that is so common can be built for $5K. If that, with smart shopping. That's a big thing to differentiate: many people joining the club aren't buying, though, they're building. Some of them are still stupid--and one wonders how their materials come out to what they pay for them--but that is another story.

In my case, I live on family land in a rural area with few zoning issues (NEGA). For me, then, it makes sense for year round living, to have the added "padding" and insulation, etc.--even battening down the hatches, my camper is cold and drafty, and I stay half-sick from it; mold is always a threat, as well, no matter how much I stay on top of prevention (we live in a low, wet-lying area). Because I see to my grandmother, who has health-issues, providing some care-giving for her, I wouldn't leave, not until she passes (which I hope is still a long way off yet). She's married, however, and I wouldn't live with her--there isn't that kind of need yet--but I do need to be close. As we're so rural, a camper or tiny house, one, are my only real options.

And, again, some of you are conflating being a weekend warrior with full-time living, as lizzie is pointing out: For me, given that mine will only be moved once, maybe twice in my life, and probably to my own land, when I save and pay cash to purchase it, I can do this and live debt free, building some along, saving to go in on land. Given where I live is a prolific mobile home area, my eventual set-up will be something with a well and septic tank already on it, I think, which means I can move and resume normal living without delay. (There are repos around to be had, where the trailers have been hauled off, and the land is for sale separately.)

As for the maintenance--there is no more than on a house, which is more a tube of caulk periodically than anything. Paint every blue moon, as well. And most of you wouldn't offer that complaint against a home, so... that's a bit silly. Besides, since that's what I do anyway, that doesn't bother me. The rest is much less labor intensive than RV living (at least, in my case). Given, though, I'm doing a 20' with two lofts and using much lighter materials than some do, too (in fact, if funds allow, I'm probably going to be doing much of this one with heavy gauge steel studs).

So, if it weighs a ton, myeh, who cares--I won't pull it much, and this is the smartest thing I can do to give myself a leg up, as I can't afford a new camper, either (that's another thing; some of you act like they don't think a LOT of them, too--WAY too much more than they are worth, too).