cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pet travel mat

clikrf8
Explorer
Explorer
We travel with our two larger dogs ( Pudelpointer and standard poodle). We mainly disperse camp or stay at federal or state campgrounds, many quite rustic. These don’t have manicured lawns or cement pads. Our pups are pine needle magnets or any other forest debris.

I searched Amazon finding a few mats that could work. They need to be at least 2.5’x3.5’, durable, waterproof, packable, easily cleaned.

Does anyone have any recommendations from personal experience? Thank-you. Happy trails.
2008 Ford F250 SuperDuty 4x4 Off Road Pkg Diesel Ranch Hand Sport Ride Right airbags
2013 Hallmark Ute LX
Toller Mousse: Chocolate Standard Poodle cross
Blitzen: Black Standard Poodle
Photography Website
Photography Blog
12 REPLIES 12

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
An old piece of carpet works good. I use an xpen to protect the world from an old Corgi.

clikrf8
Explorer
Explorer
I ordered 2 mats from Amazon that were portable and storable in self storage bags. We will see about durability. Since we have a pop up truck camper, storage is at a premium so we make sure everything we pack is a necessity. After brushing cedar and pine needles from their fur which takes a long time, we decided these were necessities. Thanks for all your help.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D2ZRL56/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2008 Ford F250 SuperDuty 4x4 Off Road Pkg Diesel Ranch Hand Sport Ride Right airbags
2013 Hallmark Ute LX
Photography Website
Photography Blog

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
pulsar wrote:
Askwines323 wrote:
Is Xpen a brand or style?

Tom

X2
I use them also. Ex-pen is slang for exercise pen.

You can find them at Petsmart. Brand name Midwest and/or Precision. Come in various heights. Usually 8 panels and folds flat when not in use. I carry 4 of them. And I also bought the wire tops for them. I have climbers!

I stored mine on the MH for travel on a cargo carrier out the back of my toad.

Prior to adding the toad I bought a square bumper bike rack for the MH and all 4 ex-pens fit perfectly on the bike rack. Just slide them on the two bars that come out and tie down.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

pulsar
Explorer
Explorer
Askwines323 wrote:

Tom
2015 Meridian 36M
2006 CR-V toad
3 golden retrievers (Breeze, Jinks, Razz)
1 border collie (Boogie)

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
You can cut them to size or if you are lucky the store will have them on a roll and you buy what you want. Menards Stores does this.

clikrf8
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. The shade cloth idea sounds cheap and practical. The 9’x18’ would be too big as we have a truck camper and storage is at a premium. Cute pattern, though. I am think 2 smaller ones @ 24”x36” that fold up into a storable unit.
2013 Hallmark Ute LX
Photography Website
Photography Blog

Askwines323
Explorer
Explorer
Got it, thanks

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Askwines323 wrote:

Xpen usually means "exercise pen".

I too have used the mats linked to Amazon, a few posts above. Just shake off the dirt/leaves/water, and fold it back up. They don't absorb moisture.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Askwines323
Explorer
Explorer

pulsar
Explorer
Explorer
We use the type of mat Pawz4me linked to. Ours is 9' by 18'. If we want it waterproof (from the bottom) we put down a polyethylene tarp first. Unfortunately, the mat makes and tarp makers can't seem to agree on a standard size. The tarp we (occasionally) use is 12' by 20'.

We use a mat for our patio area. We also use a mat if we are setting up x-pens for the dogs. (Plural pens, we will use at least two, because we travel with 4 dogs.) It is nice to use the x-pens and mats after the dogs have been swimming.

Tom
2015 Meridian 36M
2006 CR-V toad
3 golden retrievers (Breeze, Jinks, Razz)
1 border collie (Boogie)

Pawz4me
Explorer
Explorer
I'd get something like these.

We have the same type (but larger) and they really are easy. Water goes right through, they're easy to fold, etc.
Me, DH and Yogi (Shih Tzu)
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
clikrf8 wrote:
We travel with our two larger dogs ( Pudelpointer and standard poodle). We mainly disperse camp or stay at federal or state campgrounds, many quite rustic. These don’t have manicured lawns or cement pads. Our pups are pine needle magnets or any other forest debris.

I searched Amazon finding a few mats that could work.

They need to be at least 2.5’x3.5’, durable, waterproof, packable, easily cleaned.

Does anyone have any recommendations from personal experience? Thank-you. Happy trails.

I travel with dogs also.

I used to lug around those heavy RV mats. They take up space because you can't fold them AND when you wash them they do NOT dry and now you have a soggy moldy mat in your bays. AND they are dangerously very slippery to walk on.

I now use garden shade cloth.
Found in the garden center of most big box stores. Often on a roll that you choose what length you want and what color.
Comes in tan, green, beige, chocolate and black.

It is very light weight, water goes thru and doesn't pool. And when you hose it down when its time to break camp all you to is throw it over the picnic table or your side mirror and it 'dries in minutes'!.

I have one the entire length of my MH attached to the ground on all four corners with camping stakes that have that large washer attached. You can also just add grommets to the corners also to prevent rips and secure the stakes.

I also carry a smaller one for when I am only stopping for the night. Yup they are so small you can carry two!

I can fold this entire mat into a flat 12 inch square for storage.