cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Santa Rosa CA to Minneapolis MN

Kelbri
Explorer
Explorer
Any recommendations on best driving routes with front wheel drive car? Heading to MN early December than back to Santa Rosa early January. Is I-80 a good route or is it best to head south then North for the weather (though it will add time and miles)?

Thanks in advance!
13 REPLIES 13

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Kelbri wrote:
We are planning to drive in order to bring our 3 dogs along. Flying would be much preferred. They are 3 smaller Shih Tzus (one about 25 pounds and the other 2 about 9 pounds each).

I'll have to look at the tires on the car. Pretty sure they are just all season radials. We would need to buy chains and put together the winter survival package mentioned. Lived in MN all my life but recently moved to Santa Rosa. Going back to visit family for the holidays.

Currently thinking about buying an AWD/4WD vehicle (GMC Yukon). We could drive that instead.

Thanks for all the suggestions/thoughts. Let me know if you have any other opinions.

I would call around and see what the cost would be board all 3 dogs while you are gone. Depending of the cost, it might be worth it when you compare the costs and time to drive V.S. not having to drive and the cost of fuel.

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
Even when I-80 is closed, it's never for long periods of time. Longest I've seen recently was over Christmas this past year, closed between Rock Springs and Laramie for about 2 days. Just come prepared, and budget for an extra night or two in a hotel in case you need it. You'd be fine in a car through there... biggest issue there is wind reducing visibility and making it tough on high profile vehicles and the road icing over, and tires don't help much with ice.

I'd also advise staying in Rock Springs over Rawlins if you do get stuck and have a choice. More hotels and more things to do.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
In my opinion, halfway decent all season tires should be fine for the Interstate most of the time. If the weather looks dicey, wait it out, like others have said. Front wheel drive cars do pretty well, and the DOT works to keep the Interstates pretty well clear since that's the way all the trucks etc. get through with food and fuel and whatnot.

I would take the most direct reasonable route, presumably I-80, unless conditions at the time dictated otherwise...and even then compare waiting things out with going well out of the way.

Kelbri
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning to drive in order to bring our 3 dogs along. Flying would be much preferred. They are 3 smaller Shih Tzus (one about 25 pounds and the other 2 about 9 pounds each).

I'll have to look at the tires on the car. Pretty sure they are just all season radials. We would need to buy chains and put together the winter survival package mentioned. Lived in MN all my life but recently moved to Santa Rosa. Going back to visit family for the holidays.

Currently thinking about buying an AWD/4WD vehicle (GMC Yukon). We could drive that instead.

Thanks for all the suggestions/thoughts. Let me know if you have any other opinions.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Kelbri wrote:
Any recommendations on best driving routes with front wheel drive car? Heading to MN early December than back to Santa Rosa early January. Is I-80 a good route or is it best to head south then North for the weather (though it will add time and miles)?

Thanks in advance!

Bing Maps suggested this Route

In my travels - just keep a good eye on the weather and allow time to wait it out if needed - just being in a car should not be that difficult.

Be smart - weather is the key - We travel a lot in the Winter/Snowy conditions, Being a skier in my early life, we have spent more time Looking for Snow than finding snow.

Keep your ears and eyes open - stay in your comfort Zone and enjoy the drive.

Beast of Luck,

Edit - being that you are traveling to a cold state I'd guess you will have plenty of the necessary provisions needed for an unexpected event, keep a little extra water, and a bar or two with the peanut butter.
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
In most cases the interstate is always open. If it gets bad you may have to just stay put for a day. Bring warm extra cloths food and water as one suggested. If they get real bad they will close the interstate with their gates. I wouldn't over think it too much.
Brian

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
I80 is sometimes closed - such across the Sierras, or maybe middle of Wyoming. But I40 gets closed or dicy around Flagstaff. And I10 gets wind/blowing dust warnings. Plus getting to the 'southern' route requires crossing one of the passes in Southern California.

Any winter driving has chances of weathere delays. I've skated across Wisconsin when returning to Chicago from Mpls after Thanksgiving (that was in a 4x4).

My feeling is that if you can drive the car in Minnesota in December, you can drive it across I80. Even waiting out a storm will be faster than looping down to Arizona.

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
Kelbri wrote:

Thanks in advance!

Have you thought about leaving the bother, worry and time enroute behind?

Sun Country has a round-trip flight from Sonoma County to Minneapolis for $297.

Driving time: 29+ hours EACH way.
Flight time: 3:30 out and about 4 hours back.

I know what my choice would be.
Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)
36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
rr2254545 wrote:
I tried to take 80 east from California in late April and it was closed due to snow a few years back - I would plan on the southern route

What would be the "southern route"?
Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)
36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
I tried to take 80 east from California in late April and it was closed due to snow a few years back - I would plan on the southern route
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
paulj wrote:
What kind of tires will you be using?

Check the National Weather Service before starting your trip and then daily while on your trip. The weather conditions will dictate which routes are advisable. The southern route has a higher probability of better route conditions and not having to stop and lay over if snow conditions require it. I would also add to your "emergency" list a "Emergency Roadside Assistance plan" in the event you break down or have to be towed or pulled out of snow conditions. Personally, the winter months would not be my first choice to head east. Unless there is an absolute reason you need your vehicle or RV vehicle, I would fly and rent a car. IMHO

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
When I drive in winter conditions I make sure I have these emergency supplies in the car. Per person:
one 0 degree to -15 degree sleeping bag,under $30.00 at Wally World
one quart drinking water
one medium jar of peanut butter.
In addition a bag of kitty litter,for traction a folding shovel and inexpensive RED poncho,great for keeping me dry but also GREAT to signal I need help.
Chains or tires socks are also a good idea.
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
What kind of tires will you be using?