cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Power Converter HELP

Martindale123
Explorer
Explorer
Ok so I have an old FEMA trailer that I bought for my deer lease. I have had it since 2013 and have always used power from the ranch. I have never had a battery on my camper. I went down to the ranch a couple of weeks ago, I pulled out the power cord, plugged it in, went inside and there was no power. I checked the power supply outside and had power so I went back inside to see if the breakers were tripped and they were not. I said well lets see if the microwave works, when I turned on the microwave the whole trailer fired up and I had power. Does this sound like a ground issue? Is the power converter like a alternator on a vehicle where it either works or it doesn't? This is the first time this has ever happened. Where is the ground wire is it mounted to the frame of the trailer? I had a lady from CCRV tell me I had to have a battery to run the trailer which I have NEVER had I have always plugged the trailer into the power supply at the ranch since 2013. Can someone please help me? Thanks Jeff
10 REPLIES 10

Martindale123
Explorer
Explorer
There were quite a few loose connections. Tightened them all up and now everything works perfect. Thanks for all your help.

Pauljdav
Explorer
Explorer
If the 120 works but the 12 does not it probably is the converter.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Bad, probably corroded connection. When the microwave was turned on, the load caused the bad connection to arc and weld completing the connection... for now.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
It could also be a victim of age and NON-use. Sometimes all a mechanical/electronic device needs is exercise just like an Onan generator. To quote the DW, use it before you lose it.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

westend
Explorer
Explorer
WayneAt63044 wrote:
Not likely a bad ground connection. It would seem a bad connection on the neutral or line (120v white or black wire).

X2
There are too many connections and pieces to the puzzle to give an accurate diagnosis of your power troubles. One guess would be a loose neutral in the load center. Inspection of any extension cords used would also be high on the suspect list.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Ask the same thing six or seven times. THREE times isn’t enough!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

WayneAt63044
Explorer
Explorer
Not likely a bad ground connection. It would seem a bad connection on the neutral or line (120v white or black wire).
2012 Forest River V-Cross Vibe 826VFK
pulled by 2009 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi

Martindale123
Explorer
Explorer
Chuck, there is a Safe Alert thing also that beeps. It says Green is power on Red is Alarm and Yellow is replace. It lights up Red?

Martindale123
Explorer
Explorer
Chuck, so your saying there is a ground wire to the frame that could be loose/faulty and this may be causing the issue?

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
2 systems.. the 110 volt AC and 12 volt DC...

microwave is AC only...
AC also runs DC side of things. most times a battery is NOT needed...

frame is ground.. AC and DC... you most likely have a bad connection..
power wire to trailer cable.. trailer cable, trailer fuse box.