cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Death Valley

jonaz
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone got some suggestions for Death Valley during Thanksgiving? I have a Dodge 4x4 and a 28' trailer with a generator, wife dog and kids. I have stayed at Furnace Creek in the past, but I may not be able to get a spot this year. Thanks!

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Hemi (3.92 gears)
Prodigy brake controller,Weight Distribution Hitch
2021 Coachman Catalina 263BHSCK

21 REPLIES 21

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
Furnace Creek has the nicest shower rooms I've seen, with unlimited hot water. It's worth buying a pass for those after days of desert wandering. The pool is also awfully nice.

You shouldn't have a problem with your dog if you camp in one of the areas across the street from Furnace Creek.
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think there are a few spots at the Inn. Have you called to inquire?

jonaz
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys. We are headed out tomorrow and it looks like we will have to stay around the Furnace Creek area since my parents will be staying at the Inn. I guess I will have to find some 1st come, 1st serve campground and hopefully my dog will be welcome too. I just got a new Harbor Freight 3500 generator inverter that is similar to the the Honda 3000 and I am really anxious to try it out. Seems to be very quiet. OK, I will give you a status report when I get back.

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Hemi (3.92 gears)
Prodigy brake controller,Weight Distribution Hitch
2021 Coachman Catalina 263BHSCK

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Just look at the website link.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
I stayed at Furnace Creek for 3 days at the end of October without reservations - asked for 3 days & there were only 3 sites available (all dry), and only one would fit your trailer. Many more were available for 1 night stays. My favorite Death Valley campground Texas Springs (No Generators) was closed as was Sunset. I was told they may open later in the year - one ranger said they were closed because of poor scheduling; not enough maintenance people, another said it was due to budget.

Since the park gets more popular as it cools off, I'd check to see what is available.

babock
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
From what Ive read most of the park is closed, so good luck finding a spot.
Where did you hear this?

Off_Pavement
Explorer
Explorer
Mesquite Springs Campground is still closed. We just spend 4 nights at the dry campground at Stovepipe Wells, gas is cheaper too and we think it's less crowded than Furnace Creek.

If you are interested in a great dry campsite just outside the park on the south end, from Shoshone, CA, go north on California Highway 128 two or three miles to California Highway 178 and head west.

Go approximately 6.8 miles and turn left onto the excellent graded gravel road (Furnace Creek Road). Go south about 2 miles and you will note a large flat area with vehicle tracks going off to your left towards a butte. That's it!

There are more sites on along the Furnace Creek Road south of Shoshone, but they are more heavily used and you may have to drive up the road further to find a spot you like.

Happy Camping!
The Road To Paradise Is NOT Paved!
Please Support Multiple Use of our Public Lands!

Brian Hoag
www.rv-camping.org
'10 Sunseeker Class C - Gozer II
'13 Jeep JKU (Wrangler) - Billie

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mesquite Spring Campground looks to be an excellent choice - normally - but it may be closed at this time, possibly due to flood damage.

Check here: https://www.outdoorproject.com/adventures/california/camping/mesquite-spring-campground
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
pigman1 wrote:
Repairs at Scotty's Castle are just unbelievable. Damage occurred in 2015 and they are now not expecting to re-open until 2020. Five years??? My God, are they using a child's beach shovel and a toothbrush? We were in the valley last year and never saw any evidence of anyone lifting a finger. Then again, it's the Federal Government. Why am I not surprised?
It is a historic building. The method of repair needs to be authentic. Sure it could be repaired in 30 days just slapping on some white stucco and tile. Then the future tours would just cover the lame repairs.
Read the reviews. Relatively little damage to the historical buildings. More problems with road, drainage, visitor center and power. Still, 5 years??? It was pushed from 4 years to 5 recently. When we were there a year ago there was ABSOLUTELY NO EVIDENCE THAT ANYTHING WAS GOING ON UP THERE, and that anything had been going on for some time. As I said, they must be using teaspoons to build the road. LA Times indicated it took over a YEAR just to design the new road. Your Government Efficiency at work!
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mesquite Springs campground is great -- very quiet, great stars. Ubehebe Crater is right nearby.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
I'm with the off road bunch..great camping in DV. And then we have the 'however'...there is another area which has a few more things to do...

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Tecopa+Hot+Springs,+Tecopa,+CA+92389,+USA/@35.8476665,-116.9407752,...

I've been twice...with the hot springs right at hand and DV just up the road, it is a pretty neat spot to park. You can roll over to the Amargosa Opera House...worth seeing...and Shoshine has a good eatin n drinkin joint...go drive around DV as much as you like, then back to the hot springs to rEEElax.

On the down side, you didn't have all the rigs parked side by side and the off road atv/mc kids tearing it up. You might miss that.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
You don't have to camp in a campground in DV.

It's a vast place and there are plenty of places where drycamping is allowed. There are some rules for drycamping in the boondocks .... just ask a ranger what the rules are or search for them on the WEB.

We camped in our Class C motorhome in a flat area just off a 4X4 road out in the middle of nowhere in DV. What a great experence sitting out in that beauty eating hot buttered popcorn away from the crowds!

Here's a .pdf link to the backcountry camping rules for Death Valley: https://www.nps.gov/deva/planyourvisit/upload/Backcountry-Camping-2017.pdf
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

RetiredBob
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
From what Ive read most of the park is closed, so good luck finding a spot.

Just returned from DV. Campgrounds at Furnace Creek and Stovepipe Wells are all open. Some of the "resort" areas are closed for remodeling, but the only part of the park that was closed is Scotty's Castle.