cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have a question for the electrical gurus.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a Honda EU2000i generator, and am thinking of getting a Companion and paralleling them. I don't like the GROUND wire that is on the paralleling kit because it takes a screwdriver to attach. Is there a problem with buying a pair of male plugs and wiring only the GROUND pins together to plug into the 20 amp outlets on the generators? There would be no wires, whatsoever, connecting the other prongs between the two plugs.

(Although, I have to have a bonding plug because of my PI EMS-HW30C, so I will run that same ground wire to one of the NEUTRAL pins. That will make it a GROUND connector/bonding plug combo.)
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB
22 REPLIES 22

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
robert_at_honda wrote:
Bobbo wrote:
Everything I have ever read says they must be the same model generator from the same manufacturer.

Not true...the Honda EU2000i, EU1000i, and variants (Camo, Companion, industrial EB2000i) are manufactured at a Honda-only plant in Thailand. The plant does NOT make any 'OEM' or other branded products.

- - -
I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.
Robert@Honda

Ummmm, that's what I said. You can parallel a Honda to a Honda. You can parallel a Yamaha to a Yamaha. I went on to say that I THINK, but don't know for sure, that you need to parallel a 2000 watt to a 2000 watt or a 1000 watt to a 1000 watt, E.G. you can't mix generator sizes.
Bobbo and Lin

wyocamper
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe I'm missing something, but the OP didn't say "champion" he said "COMPANION". I had the same Honda EU2000i as the OP, and if you buy a second one just like it you can use a Honda COMPANION cable to connect them.

I don't know the answer as to whether connecting the ground on the 20A outlets would serve as companion ground, but I don't know why it wouldn't either. Ground is ground the world around, unless Honda for some reason isolated the Companion ground from the rest of the generator.

I was going to do the same with mine so I could run the 30A AC on my 5er, but I traded it to a buddy for an EU3000 instead. He bought a new toy hauler with a gen, and wanted the parallel EU2000's for his house.
2015 Winnebago Vista 27N

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
To answer the question of how the generators "could" synchronize, the logic board could start the unloaded beta generator out at a slightly higher speed. Voltage is compared. If there is potential between phases the logic circuit could wait until the differential disappears (in synch paralleled). Then it latches loads. By alternating sample inputs between alfa and beta, the twinned generators could micro see-saw their way in uniformity of sine wave and load sharing.

I am quite certain Honda's protocol is protected like the family jewels. Proprietary unmarked integrated circuits, the whole bit.

In 1977 a self synchronization system at the Washoe Medical Center in Reno NW went awry and cross paralleled a pair of V12 Caterpillar generators. The result was a hole in a concrete wall a railroad box car would have fit through.

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
robert_at_honda wrote:
Bobbo wrote:
Everything I have ever read says they must be the same model generator from the same manufacturer.

Not true...the Honda EU2000i, EU1000i, and variants (Camo, Companion, industrial EB2000i) are manufactured at a Honda-only plant in Thailand. The plant does NOT make any 'OEM' or other branded products.

- - -
Robert@Honda

Robert, I think you misunderstood the comment. He was saying generators must be the same mfg and model in order to parallel them, not that the Honda and Champion are the same manufacturer.

robert_at_honda
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:

- - -
Robert@Honda

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Everything I have ever read says they must be the same model generator from the same manufacturer. That being said, I have read some internet reports of paralleling generators of different output strengths, but they were at least of the same manufacturer.
Bobbo and Lin

CJW8
Explorer
Explorer
Can you parallel a Honda and a Champion?
2003 Forest River Sierra M-37SP Toy Hauler- Traded in
2015 Keystone Raptor 332TS 5th wheel toy Hauler (sold)
2004 Winnebago Vectra. 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee toad

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
bob213 wrote:
I made my own but not smart enough to do it like 2oldman did. I did replace the ground screw with a thumb screw to do away with the need for for a screwdriver.(not correct size shown)thumbscrew

MrWizard wrote:
might be easier
to buy a metric thumb screw to replace the ground screw

make it really easy to attach or remove

OP here. Simple and effective. I like it! Thank you bob213 and MrWizard.
Bobbo and Lin

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
OK one thing I don't understand about this, maybe mostly because I've never done it before:
If you simply bridge the outputs like is being discussed, what keeps the two generators in sync (Being out of sync is much the same as a huge short) ??
And what effect does TWO voltage sources have on the output regulation of each unit ??

I always ASSumed that the bridging happened through some kind of control board to get the two to play together nice.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
time2roll wrote:
If that is a dead-man cord I don't recommend it.
It's no more a dead-man cord than the cord on your toaster, provided you plug them BOTH in before starting either generator, like the manual says.

I disagree there; the cord on my toaster does not have two male connectors that are wired together. (Well, the cord on my toaster is permanently attached, but for any appliance with a detachable cord the wall plug end is male and the other is female.)

If one of the plugs should get kicked out, it would have a live end and if you weren't using a lot of power in the camper at the time you might not even notice it.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
time2roll wrote:
It's no more a dead-man cord than the cord on your toaster, provided you plug them BOTH in before starting either generator, like the manual says.

and turn off BOTH generators before unplugging.

personally not something I would use but each to his own.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
Make your own parallel cables with standard extension cord plugs where the ground is already there. Too easy.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Duration power uses banana plugs for power and the ground pin of a plug for the ground on the triple set up.

http://durationpower.com/store/