cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

winter travel

jackbuck
Explorer
Explorer
can you run your heat while on the road in winter?
jackbuck ,2016 Arctic Fox 29-5-k ,2004 chev 3500 crew with 8100gas,Virginia.One great wife two trailor dogs,9 boys and 2 of the other kind.,all on their own, empty nest. its hard to see the picture when you are inside the frame.
17 REPLIES 17

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Ozlander wrote:
cmcdar wrote:
Grit dog wrote:

This is one of the least informed responses I've seen on here in....well actually about a day.
Rvnet, the land of fiction and fallacy.

Grit dog, Please provide some kind of evidence to support your assertion.
Thank you.

Which part of this do you think may not be true.

Ok,ok.
OG said it was cool in a MH but not a trailer. Why the distinction?
Valve on or off on a propane tank, it has no greater propensity to explode. If gas gets out too fast, like a broken gas line, check valve shuts off the supply.
If a tank gets too hot, it will release gas like a flame thrower (so as to not explode) whether valve is on or off.
If a fire starts from an open flame (pilot light or furnace / fridge burner) how is that related to being in motion vs parked?

Those were my points.
And to address the โ€œturn off propane in tunnels or on ferriesโ€ rules, that is so there is not an open flame in a potential confined space that could fill with flammable fumes. You could have tank valve open but no pilot lights But Itโ€™s a catch all.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I thought warming up the trailer was all part of the setting up experience? :B

It should be safe to run the furnace while travelling. There may be air issues because of vent configurations but the furnace will shut off in that case.

For me, a 1200W electric furnace will warm the inside air from 30f to 80f in less than 1/2 hour. My propane heater with auxiliary disbursement fans is faster. It does take a few hours to warm all the mass inside to comfortable temps so I could understand a pre-heat or operating the furnace while underway.

One project I'm looking at is using hydronic heat. I could be using excess solar power, use a solar heater, run it off the RV's water heater, or a combination. I have a steel water tank under a dinette seat and it takes a lot of heat to bring it up to room temp.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Luke_Porter
Explorer
Explorer
If the slides block the flow of air, the furnace will shut down.
Yep, actually drove to all of these places---in the last eight years. Missed Rhode Island and New Jersey.

Ozlander
Explorer
Explorer
cmcdar wrote:
Grit dog wrote:

This is one of the least informed responses I've seen on here in....well actually about a day.

Thank you.

Which part of this do you think may not be true.
Ozlander

06 Yukon XL
2001 Trail-Lite 7253

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
jack buck, we do a bit of winter travel (sometimes below zero F) with our fiver, water tank full and water system full,so... keeping heat on is a must. But most of our trips are short so battery consumption is not an issue. On a very long trip (as stated) a generator to maintain batteries may be needed. Or.... and I โ€œ have notโ€ researched this (though I did this on an old โ€˜84 Ford to charge our 5th wheel batteries), rewire to your truck 7 pin connector with a separate lead from truck battery ( the original lead is โ€œonlyโ€ to maintain your unit batteries and is of low amperage). But..... you must unplug when truck โ€œnotโ€ running, so as โ€œnotโ€ to pull down your truck batteries!
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

cmcdar
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
old guy wrote:
in what? inn a motor home yes, in a TT ot such a great idea. I'm a safety nut, I don't travel with my propane on, nothing like a snow on the road type accident to blow the hell out of things. I fought fires for 30 years and many were RV fires on the roads of eastern Oregon and believe me with a rv full of propane it gets nerve racking. I have posted on here many times of fires caused by rv frig's and nobody thinks about it. they foolishly think well, it's never happened to me. I say never happened yet.

Do you turn off the gas and power to your house at night before you go to sleep too?
Oh wait, it's ok in a Moho but not in a trailer....

Thank you.
HTT: 2007 R-Vision Trail Cruiser c191
TV: 2010 Nissan Titan Pro4X Crew Cab

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
In Winter we would run the furnace while on the road at about 55 degrees, 5er would be nice and warm to start with.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Dang Grit Dog, i was just gonna let that sleeping dog lay. :B

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
old guy wrote:
in what? inn a motor home yes, in a TT ot such a great idea. I'm a safety nut, I don't travel with my propane on, nothing like a snow on the road type accident to blow the hell out of things. I fought fires for 30 years and many were RV fires on the roads of eastern Oregon and believe me with a rv full of propane it gets nerve racking. I have posted on here many times of fires caused by rv frig's and nobody thinks about it. they foolishly think well, it's never happened to me. I say never happened yet.

Do you turn off the gas and power to your house at night before you go to sleep too?
Oh wait, it's ok in a Moho but not in a trailer....
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
you can but we don't. Like IdaD said, I feel they heat up very fast when we arrive and turn it on.

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
We leave MA in Jan, I run the furnace on a low setting, stop and kick it up a notch for about the last hour of travel.

We also go with an electric blanket, run it via an inverter for about an hour. The memory foam topper turns to wood when it's cold.

I leave the trailer winterized till we get to warmer temps.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
I never have because campers heat up pretty quick but I don't see why not. I have my propane on and fridge/freezer running while traveling all the time. You shouldn't need a generator because your trailer will be getting juice from your truck.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Dog_Trainer
Explorer
Explorer
I have run a furnace in My MH anytime I think it is needed. We also ran the furnace in the TT on the way to our winter home for 3 trips. Never ran a genny but I did put a fire proof tile over 2 vents that were blocked by the slides in the TT
2016 Newmar Baystar 3401
2011 HHR Toad
Daktari & Lydia Cavalier King Charles , Annie get your guns, our English setter (fur Bearing Children)

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
sure
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman