cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bigger BP TH's - pros and cons

Txsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
Researching 35'ish BP TH's - what are the pros and cons to gong with something this size? We currently have the rig in my sig..
2017 F250 PSD 4X4
2015 Livin Lite Axxcess 24FBA
2016 Honda Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe
22 REPLIES 22

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
For us, the difference between towing our 38' 5th wheel over our 32' bumper pull is like night and day. We had a good set up, but we just weren't that comfortable towing the bumper pull, I feel like you felt every single cross wind or bump way more than with the 5er. Had plenty of truck... F250 then F350, so that wasn't the issue.

Just comes down to comfort level. My FIL who is a hot shot driver was totally comfortable pulling the bumper pull.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

dedmiston
lamopar wrote:
So far it is fine. I am using the Reese Dual Cam set up and it is easy to hook up each time and the only problem I have with it is the loud bang when it centers or uncenters.

I LOVED my Reese Dual Cam when we owned a bumper pull, but the noise was pretty horrible. I never drove with the windows down and I always kept the radio volume up.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

lamopar
Explorer
Explorer
We tow a heavy three axle 32' toy hauler. I used an 03 2500 Ram and now a 17 3500 Ram with little problems from the 3500 and maxing out the 2500. The trailer weighs ~10,500 empty. Add 150 gallons of water, 35 gallons fuel cell and 25 gallons and 4 ATV's along with all the food and gear inside and we are running about 13,500. I have pulled from Oregon to St Louis and back along with a summer trip this year to Iowa and back. I am sure the 5th wheel will ride better and turn at a sharper radius. When I bought mine I was told not to as it rides rough. So far it is fine. I am using the Reese Dual Cam set up and it is easy to hook up each time and the only problem I have with it is the loud bang when it centers or uncenters. I do like having the bed of my truck so I don't have to put bicycles inside the toy hauler. I also like to carry wood in there and not in my trailer. So far I have not had a problem getting into a camp site from the length or the pivot point at the back of the truck. It does suck when I try to back into a site at night. The back is way back there!

Txsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all plan to look at some carbon and impacts in the 35 overall range.
2017 F250 PSD 4X4
2015 Livin Lite Axxcess 24FBA
2016 Honda Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe

Bedlam
My tag toy hauler was 7.5K lbs empty and 11.5K lbs loaded - It was never an issue pulling it behind a 3/4t extended cab short bed for 60K+ miles between the Pacific Coast and Mississippi River. It took me about three months to learn how my hitch settings and trailer loading affected handling and then I didn't have to adjust it again until it sold.

I used the same hitch on my current enclosed trailer on two different trucks. I was able to get everything set with two adjustments now that I am familiar with my setup.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

ijon
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Prime Time 2910 thirty-four foot.I had a Lance truck camper before. Tows fine with a GMC dually truck. I think a lot is setup and what you pull it with.

RideSlow
Explorer
Explorer
Stealth by Forest River makes a few, I was surprised how heavy my TH was. Rated as a 26, is actually 31'6" long. No slides, and no separate garage. We mostly use it as a TT, and go to state parks and places where it is about as long as it can be. Several places where we couldn't have fit with anything longer. Just something to consider. I can't speak to 5ver's, or duallies. Mine is a 3500 SRW, tows my TH well, seems to be set up with the trailer axles a bit more towards the rear.
2007 Dodge Ram QC 4x4 6.7 CTD 3500 SRW
2014 Stealth AK2612 TH
2004 HD Ultra Classic

dedmiston
Alright gentlemen. Let's keep it civil. No sense in fighting over a trailer.

You've both expressed your opinions, now please move along.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Muddydogs
Explorer
Explorer
N-Trouble wrote:
Tow like ****... Step up to a 5er

People who say they tow fine have never pulled a 5er and just dont know any better.

People that make claims like you have no idea how to set up a hitch or tow a trailer and blame it on the bumper pull trailer, 5ths are more forgiving then bumper pull trailers. But a set up bumper pull will tow just as well.

I've towed in Wyoming cross winds, passed 100's of big rigs going up or down hill and on the flats. Towed on about every interstate in the West as well as 1000's of miles on secondary roads without a problem.

Problem with your 5th wheel is you would never be able to tow the rig to the places I go due to the higher overhead of the 5th wheel.
2015 Eclipse Iconic Toy Hauler made by Eclipse Manufacturing which is a pile of junk. If you want to know more just ask and I'll tell you about cracked frames, loose tin, walls falling off, bad holding tanks and very poor customer service.

Adreamer
Explorer
Explorer
I have towed a Fuzion 300 tt toyhauler since 2012, and it tows great. Its 35' and 11000 pounds loaded. I have a 2500 GMC diesel. I replaced the sofa with 2 recliners and a swivel chair, very nice. The garage is 10'.

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
N-Trouble wrote:
Lantley wrote:
N-Trouble wrote:

People who say they tow fine have never pulled a 5er and just dont know any better.

It's all in the set up and balance!
Tow a 36' TT with 3' generator platform. 39' overall. with a Ford Excursion. It behaved/towed just as well as my current fiver.

Come on.... Throw in a crosswind or passing a big rig no comparison.

Or some real world messed up roads we have here out west.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
N-Trouble wrote:

Tow a 36' TT with 3' generator platform. 39' overall. with a Ford Excursion. It behaved/towed just as well as my current fiver.

Come on.... Throw in a crosswind or passing a big rig no comparison.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
N-Trouble wrote:

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer