cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Base plate ?

Speedy921
Explorer
Explorer
Can a baseplate from a Wrangler fit a Liberty ? Is it difficult to mount a baseplate?

My local Hitch place says $400 labor.
12 REPLIES 12

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
I built, and installed the base plates for both my 2005 and 2012 Libertys. I saved a ton of money, but being a welder/metal fab by trade made the job easier. The most difficult thing for me was to R & R the front bumper grill assemblies.
For the average person, don't attempt it yourself IMO.
And forget getting any base plates to interchange....except for the same make and model.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not likely. Baseplate from a Wrangler might not even fit a different model or model year Wrangler.

How difficult to mount depends on where it attaches, whether or not chassis modifications are needed, and how much bodywork needs to be removed and replaced. I thought, from the instructions, putting a baseplate on my Honda Fit would be easy. I was considering all those years in my teens when I was doing body work in my dad's collision shop, i.e. coming to the job with some experience taking cars apart and putting them back together. It was not as easy as it looked.

I had planned to have a RV shop do it, but they couldn't get me in for a couple more weeks, and I was in a hurry. The job took me four hours, spread out over two days, in the sun on a concrete driveway. There was at least another six hours of cooling off and rehydrating.

Tearing apart the front end, and removing the inner bumper to get at the subframe horns, was easy, about an hour. Drilling two holes, laying under a low car, was hard. I had no idea how tough that subframe steel was, but it quickly dulled a titanium bit. I now know to figure at least one or two drill bits per hole. I had to remove some extra pieces (headlight, washer bottle) to get the drill into position. Bolting on the baseplate was easy. Reinstalling the inner bumper was hard, turned out that it is bowed, straightens out when removed, had to be leveraged back into position.

The job would have been easier with the car on a lift. The job would have been easier in a cooler space, or at least in the shade. It would have gone faster with a better drill and a good supply of bits. There were a couple of places where it would have been easier with a second pair of hands. The dealer, in making an installation estimate, considers these advantages you don't have DIY in the driveway.

Find out what baseplate model fits the vehicle you plan to tow, then download the installation instructions to decide whether this is work you want to do. I've you've not yet chosen a towbar, get instructions for a couple different brands, because sometimes Roadmaster, BlueOx and Demco do things in different ways, Roadmaster particularly because they don't always do a baseplate, it is often a pair of mounting brackets for a baseplate piece that comes with the tow bar. Roadmaster would have been a lot easier for me because it didn't bolt to the sides of the subframe horns, instead the baseplate replaced the Fit's inner bumper using the OEM mounting bolts. Some of the simplest installations I've seen consisted of bolting to the mounting points for factory tow hooks.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

johnwalkerpa1
Explorer
Explorer
Speedy921 wrote:
Can a baseplate from a Wrangler fit a Liberty ? Is it difficult to mount a baseplate?

My local Hitch place says $400 labor.

I can't help about the fit...but, I just installed a base plate on a 2017 Ford explorer this summer. Pay the $400...believe me...that is well worth it ๐Ÿ™‚

empty_nest
Explorer
Explorer
Base plates are generally pretty vehicle specific.

I just had a Blue Ox base plate mounted on our '02 Liberty. It requires removal of the grill and the rubber bumper cover. Might have been able to do it myself but just so much easier when vehicle is on a lift and eye-level instead of me crawling around on my back.

My local mechanic charged me 2-hours labor ($100) to do the install. Money well spent and looks like a million bucks. Best part is that I still have skin on my knuckles. ๐Ÿ™‚
2008 38' Winnebago Adventurer
2012 Jeep Wrangler (Toad)
03 Ranger 520 DVX - 225 hp. Evinrude

footslogger
Explorer
Explorer
Can't speak to the Jeep question.

I installed the Roadmaster base plate myself on my Honda Pilot. Roadmaster estimates 3 hours labor, so $400 is not totally out of line. It basically took me all day, as the whole nose assembly had to come off, and I basically just took a lot of time to ponder each step. Also, there were few screws that needed to be removed that Roadmaster didn't mention in their otherwise very complete instructions.
footslogger

2004 Country Coach Allure 33' Cummins 370HP ISL
400 Watt Solar Array M&G Braking System
2003 Honda Element (and as many canoes as I can carry!)

dubdub07
Explorer
Explorer
Ooops. Bad info from me!! I deleted.
2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
TOADS: 12 Jeep JKUR Wrangler, 16 Cherokee Trailhawk, 15 Grand Cherokee, 13 RAM 1500 Longhorn (not a toad) American STEEL = American profits
RET USAF MSGT (26yrs) and still DoD ATC.
DW,DS,DD in the MH w/Westley the killer PUG!

Y-Guy
Speedy921 wrote:
Can a baseplate from a Wrangler fit a Liberty ?

In my quick run through of Blue Ox baseplates from 2002 to 2013 for Wrangler & Liberty models I found none that share the same baseplate numbers.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
bighatnohorse wrote:
I installed the baseplate on my Wrangler. Advertising said the baseplate would bolt on but I found that some drilling and grinding was required. And the under carriage rock shield has to be cut to allow a proper fit. It's not "difficult" with proper tools in hand - but it is time consuming.
$400 dollars is probably a fair price to charge for the installation.

yep if I had installed mine myself I would have spent that $400 for band aids.
bumpy

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
I installed the baseplate on my Wrangler. Advertising said the baseplate would bolt on but I found that some drilling and grinding was required. And the under carriage rock shield has to be cut to allow a proper fit. It's not "difficult" with proper tools in hand - but it is time consuming.
$400 dollars is probably a fair price to charge for the installation.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
Without exact Year and Model of the Wrangler and the Liberty, can't say for SURE. But based on how specific Base Plates seem to be, and again without the details, I'd rate the odds as 99% NO.
Send the details on the vehicles, along with the Tow Bar you have or are considering, and we can take a look.
All the manufacturers provide detailed base plate installation instructions, and that includes a picture of how it looks installed. That can help you decide which one you want. Instructions also include labor estimates.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
You should be able to check if it will fit by going to the manufacturer site and check the model number of the baseplate to see if both vehicles use the same part numbers for the baseplates. I have put all of mine on. But my Cadillac required assistance to install it. You can get directions for your vehicle install on the site too.
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I always paid somebody to mount my base plates. depends on how much has to be removed, grille, fenders, etc.and cut away. easily worth $400 to me. but call a base plate supplier to see if your exact BP will work on other vehicle.
bumpy