cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5th Wheel Suggestions for Full Time Family???

bowler1
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,
We are considering living full time for a couple of years and have 4 small children (3,1,1, and a baby). I am in the Army and not sure where I will be going, but probably in the D.C. area where the weather is not extreme, but will see sub-freezing temps.

Given our family size we want adequate room for the kids' sleeping arrangements, and still want to have adequate seating in the living area--at least a couch and two recliners or theater seats. I can't deal with only a single love seat like most bunk rooms have.

I currently am leaning heavily toward the Open Range 3x427bhs since it meets this criteria. I have seen few other options that meet the criteria above and that have adequate storage.

We are not opposed to a toy hauler. They seem like a reasonable option, but I don't want to get a dually and it seems that their weight is pushing the limits of a single axle truck.

I will be pulling it with a 1 ton diesel single axle truck, which I have not yet purchased.

thanks for your help!

Matt

We will be pulling it with a 1 ton diesel single axle.

thanks for your help

Matt
14 REPLIES 14

bowler1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info. Wondering if anyone else has some input on which model bunkhouse to choose. I understand the challenges of having a full time family rv lifestyle but it will only be a couple of years. Really just looking for recommendations on models. So far the open range seems to be the best option

Thx
Matt

jackbuck
Explorer
Explorer
Look at the Arctic fox 5th wheel
jackbuck ,2016 Arctic Fox 29-5-k ,2004 chev 3500 crew with 8100gas,Virginia.One great wife two trailor dogs,9 boys and 2 of the other kind.,all on their own, empty nest. its hard to see the picture when you are inside the frame.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Perfect timing. Check out the October 2017 issue of Trailer Life where they review 12 full-time fivers.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

ro_sie
Explorer
Explorer
Another concern would be your little ones. By their ages, by law everyone of them are required to be in a child safety seat. Can you accomplish that with the mode of transportation you have?
ro_sie
Art ( my roomie)
Fleetwood Revolution LE

Lexx
Explorer
Explorer
We have 3 boys. We are leaning heavily towards a toy hauler primarily because not only does it come with a 2nd bathroom, the kids can be on the garage part and not bother us when we are sleeping or just want some quiet time.

Plus the toy haulers carry quite a bit more water.

I have a hard time seeing how you're going to pull a big trailer that is insulated enough for east coast winters without going to DRW.
2017 Ruby Red Platinum F450 - my kids call her "Big Red"
2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

retispcsi
Explorer
Explorer
We are full timers but not with kids. I have seen families of up to 7 full timing and home schooling. I recommend you go to the web size and blogs that talk about full timing with kids and schooling. You need to consider the fifth wheel you want to live in most are not made for winter weather. The higher end units have insulated windows thicker and better insulation etc. But they cost more and are heavy you will be in DRW territory. Camping around DC is not cheap and you may want to call around for long term rates before you jump. Some toy haulers have a half bath in the garage area and give you the ability to make a bunk room. DRW again will be needed. Good luck.
2015 Mobile Suites 38 RSSA. 2014 Ram CC DRW 4x4 60 gal RDS Aisin 4:10.
DW, Shadow, Remington and Ron. Living the good life till the next one arrives.

2012Oudoorsman
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Roamer 374bhs and like it quite a lot. I couldn't do the full time thing but thats me. My kids are 1 and 2 and our trailer works great. Lots of storage areas.

The slides seem to be a common issue and they do worry me. However, mine haven't given me a lick of trouble but my camper is a 2018 received in May.

I'd suggest joining the fb group for open range owners. Many fulltime in 427 and I know one also fulltime in a 367bhs Roamer.

My truck is also 3500 SRW. I've been extremely happy with power and stability. Never had an issue and don't foresee any. The 374bhs has a higher pin weight then the 427bhs however you may have more weight in the truck. I do not have airbags or any suspension enhancement and don't think I need any.

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Your two biggies will be space and heat. Space for the kids to play, and cost to heat. It can be done, but do you really want to? Remember, you get to go to work 5 days a week while DW will be stuck in 350 sq feet with four small kids. Think crazy wife after a couple of weeks cooped up with them! If you all decide this is workable, then your not going to want a weekend trailer, but rather a decent quality built unit, one that can withstand cold winters and hot summers without breaking the bank. Even a good RV could cost you 400 dollars a month for propane not counting electricity. You might want to do a web search, there are a lot of folks doing it, and have blogs detailing their adventures.

Corky12
Explorer
Explorer
You will get mostly negative responses from the people on this forum. I would suggest a Google search of "RVing with kids" to get more advice from a practical standpoint. There are couples with as many as 10 kids out there living their dream.

tchil
Explorer
Explorer
I will comment on the other side of this. Me, My Wife my two kids and two dogs lived in our Toyhauler for 3 years and saved an astonishing amount of money. We still look back on our time in the trailer fondly. The key is finding a good RV Park that is reasonably priced and still nice. My kids were 2-3 when we started.

Toyhaulers will probably be your best option for trailers due to the number of beds that a lot of them have.
Ty
2018 Ram Cummins Mega
2007 Ragen Blackhawk 36-05

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Also... have you looked into places to stay long-term? Most military campgrounds have stay limits. A few make exceptions if you're on orders. Many trailer parks that allow RVs long-term are not places I would want to raise kids, either. Making payments on a truck, RV, and paying monthly rates with utilities in a commercial park will not be any cheaper than a decent apartment or rental house.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Also get tough real quick to take 6 in a pickup.

For the size you are talking about, you are looking at a 1ton SRW minimum and probably a DRW.

Are you trying to save money? The cost of a new truck and trailer will kill you especially when you consider depreciation.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

JC2
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
I'll be blunt and up front: four kids living full-time in a 5th wheel doesn't sound inviting. I'd be taking that $2,000 plus military BAH and putting it towards an apartment or house rental. Kids need room to grow and 400 ft/sq isn't enough. Sorry if my post doesn't sit well with some.

I agree also. 🙂
2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304,Cummins ISL 425hp,Spartan MM Chassis,2013 Chev Equinox AWD Towed,Ready Brute Elite TowBar/Brake,FMCA #402879,SKP#120487

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I'll be blunt and up front: four kids living full-time in a 5th wheel doesn't sound inviting. I'd be taking that $2,000 plus military BAH and putting it towards an apartment or house rental. Kids need room to grow and 400 ft/sq isn't enough. Sorry if my post doesn't sit well with some.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE