cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A safety reminder...

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
As the weather gets cooler, and those of us still using our RV's may be using more heating appliances, don't forget to give your emergency exit windows a try to make sure they'll open easily if needed. Today a neighbor asked me to show her how the exit window in her TT worked, and when I released the latches, I found the rubber gaskets were too stuck in place to allow the window to open without considerable force. I carefully released the gaskets with a putty knife and then wiped them with dry silicone that should keep them free for at least several years. I treat my exit windows annually, and it's a simple process that could be a life saver...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate
10 REPLIES 10

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:
I have an Airstream, which is known for sticking windows. I have a silicone impregnated cloth that I use to wipe down the window seals on all of the windows before leaving on a trip, and thereafter if I find one of them sticking.

If the emergency escape window sticks during an emergency, you better believe I will hit it with enough force to open it or break it.

I LOL'ed when I read this Bobbo.

I drive a race car and believe me, like you alluded to, fire is very motivating! No sticking window is going to stop anybody from getting out. Fire will make you do things you don't think your capable of doing.

My next door neighbor had a mobile home that caught fire. It burnt down to the ground. I went over there one day after the fire and my friend said "hey check this out." He showed me 3 fire extinguishers that the metal pins were still in place but the fire extinguishers had been used. At first thought I was wondering how this could be? Then it dawned on me; the pins had been sheared in half because the guy panicked so bad he cut them in half with the FE handle! :E
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

gaymeadowsman
Explorer
Explorer
We have a door going into the front bedroom of our trailer. I let everyone know that it is not for general use and to use the rear(living area)door. The front door the Emergency Exit for the bedroom.
John ๐Ÿ˜›
Ted :R

in search of the next one
2010 Chevy Silverado Ext Cab LT
2015 Chevrolet Impala LT

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have an Airstream, which is known for sticking windows. I have a silicone impregnated cloth that I use to wipe down the window seals on all of the windows before leaving on a trip, and thereafter if I find one of them sticking.

If the emergency escape window sticks during an emergency, you better believe I will hit it with enough force to open it or break it.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
DrewE wrote:
keymastr wrote:
If your smoke alarms are 10 years old just replace them. They have a 10 year life span. New ones have 10 year batteries so when battery needs replacing you simply replace the whole thing. Nice not having to listen to it chirp every few months when the battery gets low.

Not all new smoke detectors have a lifetime battery, although some do. The packages, of course, say what power is needed. (Many also are intended for hardwire installation and those use 120V power with a battery backup.)

I replaced the old smoke detector in my motorhome (and indeed the old, nonfunctional, disconnected by the previous owner CO detector) with combo smoke/CO detectors. As they were at opposite ends of the RV, I figured it wasn't a terrible idea to detect both dangers in both places. The smoke detector part, at least, works plenty effectively at finding miniscule amounts of smoke from cooking. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I replaced the old smoke detector in my TT with a new one that states that it doesn't give off as many false signals from cooking. Now I can make toast without needing to remove the batteries from the smoke detector first.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
keymastr wrote:
If your smoke alarms are 10 years old just replace them. They have a 10 year life span. New ones have 10 year batteries so when battery needs replacing you simply replace the whole thing. Nice not having to listen to it chirp every few months when the battery gets low.

Not all new smoke detectors have a lifetime battery, although some do. The packages, of course, say what power is needed. (Many also are intended for hardwire installation and those use 120V power with a battery backup.)

I replaced the old smoke detector in my motorhome (and indeed the old, nonfunctional, disconnected by the previous owner CO detector) with combo smoke/CO detectors. As they were at opposite ends of the RV, I figured it wasn't a terrible idea to detect both dangers in both places. The smoke detector part, at least, works plenty effectively at finding miniscule amounts of smoke from cooking. ๐Ÿ˜‰

keymastr
Explorer
Explorer

Steve_83406
Explorer
Explorer
You know, I've never checked mine... guess what I'm doing tomorrow!
Steve

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Alabama Jim wrote:
Thank you for the reminder. That is very good advice.
X2
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
dont forget change those smoke alarm batteries as well

Alabama_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the reminder. That is very good advice.