cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking for boondocking recs in St George/Hurricane, UT area

FirstTracks
Explorer
Explorer
OK, it's official -- I'm de-winterizing the trailer for another trip next week. We're planning to head south, boondocking somewhere in the St. George/La Verkin/Hurricane, UT area. Maybe hit up Zion, maybe Sand Hollow...haven't decided yet.

So....
1. Are there any boondocking sites around there that people rave about?
2. Anything in the area you'd like to see in video, either on the ground or aerial?

Looking forward to your suggestions!
Grand Adventure: YouTube.com/GrandAdventure | GrandAdventure.tv
Cottonwood Heights, UT
2016 Evo by Forest River T2050
2014 Toyota Tacoma SR 5.7L V8
Days camped: 2017 - 66 |2018 - 136
7 REPLIES 7

FirstTracks
Explorer
Explorer
Great beta! Thank you! I've seen both sites on Campendium, including the site you stayed at but referred to as "North Creek."

We're actually leaving in the a.m., and I've tentatively settled on Guacamole Mesa near the cinder cone in what appears to be a nice stand of junipers (37.223431,-113.113497,337). However, I've got both North Creek and Sheep Creek as backups as I've heard that the last half mile of Dalton Wash Road getting onto the mesa can be a real bear.
Cottonwood Heights, UT

huasnaian
Explorer
Explorer
I was camping in Virgin, UT a few weeks ago. I camped off Kolab terrace rd about a mile in from the highway, labeled as a blm camp on google maps. This is next to a large hill so don't expect morning sun until at least 9am (37.220702, -113.162190). There are a few spots closer to the road that would be less prone to flooding. There was another spot that I did not stay at that got morning sun was on sheep bridge road (37.196635, -113.218106). Have fun, I already want to go back.

Hobo2
Explorer
Explorer
There is a BLM office in saint George.

FirstTracks
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
I'm pretty sure it is east of that RV park. I don't know the name of the area, but it is not a "secret spot." ๐Ÿ˜‰

There's actually a boatload of BLM land in the area, I'm finding.
Cottonwood Heights, UT

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm pretty sure it is east of that RV park. I don't know the name of the area, but it is not a "secret spot." ๐Ÿ˜‰
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

FirstTracks
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
There's a great boondocking area near the river, not far from Zion River Resort. But watch the weather -- if it rains, the river can rise very quickly, flooding the campsites.

Yes, flash floods are a constant threat in the southern Utah deserts.

Thanks for the recommendation, Dan. I'll break out the maps -- are you talking east or west of Zion River Resort? And by approximately how far?
Cottonwood Heights, UT

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
There's a great boondocking area near the river, not far from Zion River Resort. But watch the weather -- if it rains, the river can rise very quickly, flooding the campsites.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."