cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Step Up Toilet

TnTRunaway
Explorer
Explorer
I'm new to this site and I've looked around and haven't seen much on toilets here or I didn’t look very well or maybe it’s because not many have the problem I have w/ our RV Toilet. Not so much a problem as much as it is an inconvenience for me. And I'm probably the only one it inconveniences in my family because I'm the shortest and the only gal.:o

I have a 2007 Majestic 28A by Four Winds, and the toilet is a step up or a step above floor level, not sure how to describe and I don't know how to post pictures on here. The toilet is a step higher than the floor level and if you try to step up to use the toilet there's not enough floor space for your feet to do so. Since I'm the only one complaining about it and before I ask the hubby to look and see what's under it or to see if there is anything that can be done to remove the step and put in a regular size RV toilet, I wanted to ask for some input/advice. Does anyone else have this in their RV, if so did you change anything about it, and how did you do it? :h :@
TnTRunaway 🙂
26 REPLIES 26

jrobert01
Explorer
Explorer

Click For Full-Size Image.Foot stool
I bought 2 of these at Costco's in package $24.99 it is the perfect size and when not in use it sets against the commode on the step up portion out of the way. Now I can use the space under my sink. I do not know how to make this picture smaller Sorry.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Farmboy666 wrote:
Make a step that slides back towards the toilet when not in use. Two pieces of wood screwed together at 90 degrees. The top one has a cut out of the toilet base so it can slide back or could be two separate pieces, one on each side for your feet to rest on when in use and the front piece is the height of the toilet step up. Slide it out to use and then back when not.

Presumably the vertical piece should also have a hole cut out for the heater vent. Otherwise, this sounds like a workable solution.

I was thinking of something rather similar, but hinged at the front rather than sliding. The hinged version would need some sort of a support cleat attached to the wall and maybe sink cabinet and on the whole sounds a little more complicated to put together.

Farmboy666
Explorer
Explorer
Make a step that slides back towards the toilet when not in use. Two pieces of wood screwed together at 90 degrees. The top one has a cut out of the toilet base so it can slide back or could be two separate pieces, one on each side for your feet to rest on when in use and the front piece is the height of the toilet step up. Slide it out to use and then back when not.

gotsmart
Explorer
Explorer
TnTRunaway wrote:
gotsmart, This just made me laugh out loud, seriously :B because you nailed exactly what has to be done to avoid tripping.. This is the exact configuration of my 28A and I actually do leave the door open and I've learned to keep the curtain closed in the bedroom or else there's a clear view in/out because I got tired of opening and closing that curtain every single time...

I don't have a curtain issue. I like a dark bedroom. I have the curtains always drawn on the 3 windows as well as Reflectix foil between the curtains and the glass, and a blackout cover on the bottom of the ceiling vent.

2 more tips.
1) My medicine cabinet does not go all the way to the ceiling. The top serves as a shelf to store 3 double-rolls of ones favorite toilet paper.
2) If your toilet paper holder is mounted on the wall similar to the below image then your knee is right under it when sitting on the toilet and it becomes kind of useless. Solution below the image.

If you don't have children then this works well. If you do, then YMMV.
Use the toilet paper holder as an aid for getting onto and off of the pedestal. Use one hand on the sink counter and the other hand on the toilet paper holder to steady yourself as you get on and off the pedestal. BIG NOTE: The toilet paper holder is NOT a grab rail. It is not mounted in a way to support the full weight of a person. If your toilet paper holder is loose on the wall then using it to steady yourself IS NOT a good idea.

So, where to put the toilet paper? Get one of these at Walmart.

Where to put it? Open the medicine cabinet door and hang it in the lower corner that is closest to the toilet. The door easily closes securely over it. I'd post a picture of mine, but Flickr is having issues at the moment.

The location of over-the-tank toilet paper holder on the cabinet works very well for me.
2005 Cruise America 28R (Four Winds 28R) on a 2004 Ford E450 SD 6.8L V10 4R100
2009 smart fortwo Passion with Roadmaster "Falcon 2" towbar & tail light kit - pictures

TnTRunaway
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everyone who has responded, even if I haven't addressed your post directly I am reading and taking in everyone's suggestions. Once I figure out how I'm going address this, I will update. Thanks for all the replies 🙂
TnTRunaway 🙂

TnTRunaway
Explorer
Explorer
gotsmart wrote:
This is the bathroom in my 2004 Majestic 28R. The step up is 11 inches high and is 17 inches from the door.

Below is the view from the rear bed. The bathroom is on the left with the shower on the right. It has a glass door.

Problem: when getting off of the toilet while disrobed (with clothes at ones feet) there is a risk of tripping and falling into the door, or worse if the door is ajar falling into the shower door.

My solution: Open the bathroom door all the way until it hits the door stop, and leave it in that position. Disrobe and lay the clothes out on the foot of the bed. Step backwards up onto the pedestal.

There's no soundproofing in the walls at all, so privacy concerns are pretty much moot.

gotsmart, This just made me laugh out loud, seriously :B because you nailed exactly what has to be done to avoid tripping.. This is the exact configuration of my 28A and I actually do leave the door open and I've learned to keep the curtain closed in the bedroom or else there's a clear view in/out because I got tired of opening and closing that curtain every single time...
TnTRunaway 🙂

TnTRunaway
Explorer
Explorer
Steve 83406 wrote:
Just curious, but is your toilet a "tall" or "short" version? For example, the Thetford Aqua Magic toilets come in two heights, and I thought the "short" version was for installations like yours (where it has a pedestal under it). You might check the seat height and see if another brand of toilet might give you a better/lower seat height. Yes, it will cost more than building/purchasing a step, but then, you night not have to deal with the step at all.

That's my 2 cents, adjust for inflation, as appropriate...
Steve

It's already a short one so probably finding something shorter would be a mission in itself LOL
TnTRunaway 🙂

TnTRunaway
Explorer
Explorer
IAMICHABOD wrote:
TnTRunaway wrote:
Thank you IAMICHABOD, I will read through them!

It is a lot to read....:) You might just ask the same question there and see if anyone has done a mod on theirs.

IAMICHABOD, WOW, yes it is a lot to read LOL I'm working my way through them though since there is a lot of good info there, thanks! 🙂
TnTRunaway 🙂

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting, the 28R has the bathroom and shower reversed from my 28A. Also the 28A toilet is angled about 45 degrees towards the door and the shelf it sits on does not go all the way across. As shown in the pictures above. When the throne is in use the door is all the way open to the locking stop.
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

gotsmart
Explorer
Explorer
This is the bathroom in my 2004 Majestic 28R. The step up is 11 inches high and is 17 inches from the door.

Below is the view from the rear bed. The bathroom is on the left with the shower on the right. It has a glass door.

Problem: when getting off of the toilet while disrobed (with clothes at ones feet) there is a risk of tripping and falling into the door, or worse if the door is ajar falling into the shower door.

My solution: Open the bathroom door all the way until it hits the door stop, and leave it in that position. Disrobe and lay the clothes out on the foot of the bed. Step backwards up onto the pedestal.

There's no soundproofing in the walls at all, so privacy concerns are pretty much moot.

2005 Cruise America 28R (Four Winds 28R) on a 2004 Ford E450 SD 6.8L V10 4R100
2009 smart fortwo Passion with Roadmaster "Falcon 2" towbar & tail light kit - pictures

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
It looks like the toilet is a short one so changing it out may not be of any help.

Taking out the step up may not be an option as it looks like there is a heater duct under the step up.

Maybe Something Like This would work,when not in use it could be folded and placed beside the toilet.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Steve 83406 wrote:
Just curious, but is your toilet a "tall" or "short" version? For example, the Thetford Aqua Magic toilets come in two heights, and I thought the "short" version was for installations like yours (where it has a pedestal under it). You might check the seat height and see if another brand of toilet might give you a better/lower seat height. Yes, it will cost more than building/purchasing a step, but then, you night not have to deal with the step at all.

Steve

x2 - toilets aren't that expensive and if you can find one that's the right height then it's worth considering. Just make sure that your have enough room for the new toilet.
Kevin

Steve_83406
Explorer
Explorer

Steve

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Our Conquest Class C had the same configuration. I, Deb, didn't have a problem because I'm all legs; but that raised portion and Ed's size-14 feet meant he had to be a good aim 😉 But if I wanted a little extra footspace in front, I would look at those fold-up plastic stools you can buy anywhere for around $10. They are handy elsewhere in an RV, too; either for reaching into a tall cabinet, or as a footstool. When folded, they take up about 1-1/2"
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!