cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Over The Air Antenna

want-a-be
Explorer
Explorer
We are in need of a over the air antenna that is not directional since we have no way to turn it. We have tryed a Rayzar RZ 8535 and only got 4 stations.
People in the park with batwing antennas or getting 30 plus stations, I know they pick up better but there should be a antenna that picks up more then 4 stations without putting a hole though the roof.
Thanks for all comments
59 REPLIES 59

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
No, for me to give a sarcastic response! :S
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Cocky_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
that took 5 hours. figured it would be quicker.:)
bumpy

To assemble the antenna? It only took me about 20 minutes.
2004 Sea Breeze by National RV - 8341

Former Coaches:
2006 Keystone Zeppeline 291 - TT
2000 Aerolite Cub F21 - Hybrid TT
1991 Coleman Pop Up

Formerly known as: hybrid_camper

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
that took 5 hours. figured it would be quicker.:)
bumpy

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Of course you get HD. Any antenna that picks up the OTA signal will be in HD. That includes a coat hanger stuck into the back of your TV. There is nothing special about digital or HD. It's only about the reception of the signal.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Cocky_Camper wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
Cocky_Camper wrote:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ematic-HD-TV-Motorized-Outdoor-Antenna-with-150-Mile-Range/46998188

We just purchases one of these from Wal Mart. We attached it to the end of a PVC pole and zip tied it to the ladder while using it. We took it down for travel.

This is the BEST $30 spent! With our bat wing, we were only getting about 15 channels, and we had to adjust the antenna each time that we changed the channel. This one we positioned to position, received 40 channels, some about 70 and 90 miles away. They all come in without re-positioning also!

hope it works, just ordered one.
thanks
bumpy

It worked out well for me! This was just based off trying it at home.

just picked mine up this am. gosh, remote control, rotatable, even gets HD :s a bargain at 30$.
bumpy

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
I'm sitting outside of Tampa right now and with my Jack antenna, mounted on my old crank up mast, I just counted 62 channels.

While that might be interesting to some folks, it really is worthless information because Tampa/St Pete/Clearwater is a MAJOR metro area and you probably could pickup half of those channels by just sticking a wire out the window. 🙂
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dutch_12078 wrote:
My favorite definition of omni-directional antennas is "Equally bad in all directions". 😉

X2. I love that description! :B

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
My favorite definition of omni-directional antennas is "Equally bad in all directions". 😉
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm sitting outside of Tampa right now and with my Jack antenna, mounted on my old crank up mast, I just counted 62 channels. Some were even in English and a couple of them were not trying to sell me something. I got all of the network channels, several religious channels, several cooking or home improvement channels, a few educational channels, children's channels, etc.
Basically the antenna was extended and faced in one direction when I did a scan. After that initial set-up, I did not have to move the antenna again to pick up 62 channels.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a much longer version of this "Difference between Omni and Directional" antenna post. .It involves a necklace. But here is a shorter versio
Imagine you are in the nosebleed seats at the live performance theater (Been there.. Webber's Phantom of the Opera. Good show)

YOu can easily see the entire stage.. but from that far away.. ANTS

So you break out a set of OPERA glasses (Low power folding binoculars) now from that far you still see the stage but not the wings. and the people are at least PEOPLE.. but still small.

So you break out a set of FIELD glasses (Much higher power binoculars) now you can only see part of the stage.. But You can actually See the faces of the actors and actresses.

Same with antennas.
Omni. Just your eyes
Opera: Jack
Field: Sensar with Wingman
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

shastagary
Explorer
Explorer
your just not going to find a omni directional antenna that does not have to be turned no matter what they try to charge you for it that will perform as good as the wingman or even the jack antenna that do have to be turned to get the best signal that can be mounted to and stored on your rv.

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
Some range figures.. My Batwing, + Wingman + Sensar Pro. Has hit 50 miles.. Might have hit a bit farther but works best if under 50.

I got this with the same setup over flat land (in Galveston, picked up Houston stations).
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Some range figures.. My Batwing, + Wingman + Sensar Pro. Has hit 50 miles.. Might have hit a bit farther but works best if under 50.

From my parent's 2nd house,, 100' up in the air (I'm an Acrophob but there is a photo of me installing the mast-head pre-amp in the antenna over 100' in the air) with I think the 2nd largest (or the largest) Channel master made.

100 Miles was not out of the question.. Union City, MI. to Detroit (Southfield) MI was done on many occasions. But that is why I say HEIGHT IS MIGHT.

I also did some other tests that proved it .
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
want-a-be wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Of course it matters, should have said, mattered. Nice way to end a conversation.

The problem is you are asking questions that as all ready been answered. And with that I will end this conversation with Thank You, how’s that???

Works for me!