cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2017 Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins Recall

Butch50
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know if anybody else here got this mail yet from Ram.

It is for a recall for a possible fire in the engine compartment because of a water pump problem. It may fail without any warning and could cause an engine fire

They have no cure for it at this time.

I don't know if this is for any other 2017 Ram Cummins models or not.

Recall: T51/NHTSA 17V-562
Butch

I try to always leave doubt to my ignorance rather than prove it

2021 Winnebago View
33 REPLIES 33

prfssr
Explorer
Explorer
Yup, got mine last week and since I was already headed to the dealer for 2 other recalls they checked this one. I will get a new one once they submit a fix for them, meaning getting new ones out to the dealers to repair.
They did a program upgrade and a Catylytic converter exchange.

centerline
Explorer
Explorer
i just went thru this.... the OEM water pump that has been installed on the engines do NOT have a weep hole.
the weep hole allows an indication of a failing water pump.... no weep hole, no indicator.
my water pump failed and nearly wore the shaft into before it started leaking.. the only way I knew it was bad is when the cocked water pump drive pully threw the belt, and then it wrapped around the fan tearing out the fan clutch wiring...

there was no odd noise and it all happend as i was driving down the freeway at about 80... it was overheated by the time i got stopped and the fan no longer worked after I replaced the pump and coolant... the dodge dealr found the wiring was damaged as well as the fan clutch itself...

anyone who has already replaced the water pump on their dime, is elgible to be reimbursed by dodge for the parts and labor, AND the recall is still in effect for the vehicle until a certified chrysler shop replaces the waterpump AGAIN to insure the liability issue has been satisfied..
2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
2014 Ram 3500 CC/LB, 6.7 Cummins
2004 Polaris Sportsman 700
2005 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
1979 Bayliner 2556 FB Convertible Cruiser
Heavy Equipment Repair & Specialty Welding...

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
boshog wrote:
In the document RAM filed with the NTSB (17V-562), the water pump recall affects RAM Cummins production from October 24, 2012 through February 28, 2017. Only 1%, or about 4,440 engines are equipped with the suspect water pump. The water pump is easily identified by looking for the lack of a vent hole on the pump housing.

I'll have to look at mine. The initial one that puked itself didn't leak or show any signs something was amiss until it went, and I haven't looked at the replacement.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

boshog
Explorer
Explorer
In the document RAM filed with the NTSB (17V-562), the water pump recall affects RAM Cummins production from October 24, 2012 through February 28, 2017. Only 1%, or about 4,440 engines are equipped with the suspect water pump. The water pump is easily identified by looking for the lack of a vent hole on the pump housing.

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
Just got my letter 2 days ago for water pump.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
minnow wrote:
Ron3rd wrote:
Just curious, and not being argumentative, but how does a water pump leaking coolant cause a fire? I guess it happens because the recall mentions it.

Back in the old days, when the old small block chevy water pumps would go bad they would start to leak, bearing was designed that way to alert you to change the pump.

As I understand it, that the pump seizes up, which causes the belt to come off the pulley and rub onto a nearby electrical harness which then shorts out and causes a fire.

Looks like you're right. Just got my recall letter, yipeeeeeeee!
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
If it doesn't throw the belt, the seized WP will get very hot quick.

minnow
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:
Just curious, and not being argumentative, but how does a water pump leaking coolant cause a fire? I guess it happens because the recall mentions it.

Back in the old days, when the old small block chevy water pumps would go bad they would start to leak, bearing was designed that way to alert you to change the pump.

As I understand it, that the pump seizes up, which causes the belt to come off the pulley and rub onto a nearby electrical harness which then shorts out and causes a fire.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
WTP-GC wrote:
I have a 2014 Ram 3500, so likely not affected by this.
But if I did receive the notice, I'd pin it on the bulletin board next to the other 5 or 6 recalls I've gotten and have yet to address

I believe this is either #6 or 7 on my 2014 3500, had them all done now except this water pump issue.

According to you you haven't done any, or maybe one. Hopefully you chose the track bar. Or just roll the dice. I spent 42 years in the welding profession , and there was nothing I liked about the welding on those track bars.

You may want to take a peek once in awhile on the track bar unless you did get it repaired. They have had them crack in the welds.

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
Ron3rd wrote:
Lar's wrote:
Just got mine yesterday for 2015. I had the mechanic look at it 2 weeks ago during an oil change at the dealer and he said it wasn't the model being recalled. On the other hand a friend with the same truck in San Antonio already had the fire. Go figure.

Part of the problem is these recalled pumps don't have a weep hold to give you an early alert that the pump is failing. In the case of some of these pumps if anything gets hot enough there is always a probability of a fire especially with some of the nearby wires and plastic. Having said that I suspect the probability of a fire is low.

One of our 16's had the pump go. The bearing gets so hot that it welds itself and snaps the shaft causing it to throw the belt and everything.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
I'd say, simple answer is... look under the truck for deposits (coolant) on the ground before starting it....

When your water pump fails, the seal fails and the coolant drips out the weep hole.

Guess I'm the minority, I always look under mine, everytime prior to starting.

1997 ford 7.3 , I would think ,did the same with my 99 7.3 . Never knew what was going to start leaking 🙂

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
reppoc12 wrote:
WTP-GC wrote:
I have a 2014 Ram 3500, so likely not affected by this.
But if I did receive the notice, I'd pin it on the bulletin board next to the other 5 or 6 recalls I've gotten and have yet to address

I have the same truck, except for the flat bed, and received a notice yesterday. I suspect yours is coming.

Well sure as snuff and I wouldn't have believed it, but guess what was in the mail today when I got home from work!!
I'll still pin it on the board.
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ron3rd wrote:
Lar's wrote:
Just got mine yesterday for 2015. I had the mechanic look at it 2 weeks ago during an oil change at the dealer and he said it wasn't the model being recalled. On the other hand a friend with the same truck in San Antonio already had the fire. Go figure.

Part of the problem is these recalled pumps don't have a weep hold to give you an early alert that the pump is failing. In the case of some of these pumps if anything gets hot enough there is always a probability of a fire especially with some of the nearby wires and plastic. Having said that I suspect the probability of a fire is low.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Lar's wrote:

2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"