cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Death Valley -- Furnace Creek -- Mid-May

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
We will be staying at Furnace Creek for a few days in Mid-May. After 4/15 all the spaces are "walk in" that is no reservations.

There are only a few sites with electrical. What is the probable that one will be open??? or do all the electrical sites get taken during the summer.

In other words how busy is the park in Mid-May??
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos
17 REPLIES 17

eastern_sierras
Explorer
Explorer
I have a place in Lone Pine. I've done many Death Valley trips. Early spring is the best time. If you are into fighter jets, Panamint Spring vista point is a must. You can see F-16 and F-35 ripping thru the valley.

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
I was in Death Valley NP in 2014. However, I can't help you with Mid May. I was long gone by the end of March. I ws there in the middle of March, and it was 90 one day. Then a "cold front" came through.
Lot of wind, and dust but certainly no rain. Temperature fell to the 70's.

TenOC wrote:
We will be staying at Furnace Creek for a few days in Mid-May. After 4/15 all the spaces are "walk in" that is no reservations.

There are only a few sites with electrical. What is the probable that one will be open??? or do all the electrical sites get taken during the summer.

In other words how busy is the park in Mid-May??
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
time2roll wrote:
jplante4 wrote:
Never been ( may next April ) but I gotta laugh about issues with heat at a place called Furnace Creek.
I love the names in the park...

Furnace Creek
Stovepipe Well
Crankshaft Junction
Devils Cornfield
Deadman Pass
Badwater Road
Salt Creek
Funeral Peak
Devils Golf Course
Dry Bone Canyon

And many others.

What do you expect in a place called Death Valley -- Green Valley?????
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
jplante4 wrote:
Never been ( may next April ) but I gotta laugh about issues with heat at a place called Furnace Creek.
I love the names in the park...

Furnace Creek
Stovepipe Well
Crankshaft Junction
Devils Cornfield
Deadman Pass
Badwater Road
Salt Creek
Funeral Peak
Devils Golf Course
Dry Bone Canyon

And many others.

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
lbrjet wrote:
Furnace Creek has many full hook ups, not just electric sites.

I thought there were only 18 FHU at the NP campground. . . . :h

Travel Photos

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
Furnace Creek has many full hook ups, not just electric sites.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
TenOC wrote:
2gypsies wrote:
Mid-May can be extremely HOT. Folks there will want electric if they can. We dry-camped and only lasted one night by sitting outside. . . not enjoyable. We came back in November for the 49ers Days - wonderful.

I assume that the 18 electrical sites were taken. How many other people in the campground. Was it 1/2 full or 3/4 full????

Sorry, we didn't even check at the electric site area. We're typically dry-campers and hikers and May was not suitable for either. We've dry-camped there at Mesquite Springs and Stovepipe Wells at other times and the temps were thoroughly enjoyable but never in May again.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
TenOC wrote:
Trackrig wrote:

West thru Paramount Springs is very hilly and winding. There's a 30ft semi trailer length limit/warning in fact. We drove thru them during a 124 degree day (peak) at only 25-35mph. I wont claim its fun, but I knew what we were driving into, and some of the best views of the park are found in those hills.

I would like other people's comment on "some of the best views of the park are found in those hills". We have a lightweight 28 foot 5er and a GMC 2500 diesel so towing should not be a problem.

Let the pictures do the talking...of which 80% of ours were in these hills/mountains. This drive was a lower level of difficulty (scare factor?) as Hwy 34 thru the Rocky Mountain NP. Not for everyone.

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
Trackrig wrote:

West thru Paramount Springs is very hilly and winding. There's a 30ft semi trailer length limit/warning in fact. We drove thru them during a 124 degree day (peak) at only 25-35mph. I wont claim its fun, but I knew what we were driving into, and some of the best views of the park are found in those hills.

I would like other people's comment on "some of the best views of the park are found in those hills". We have a lightweight 28 foot 5er and a GMC 2500 diesel so towing should not be a problem.

Travel Photos

KCFDCapt
Explorer
Explorer
Heading west towards US 395 you can turn south towards Trona and Ridgecrest to avoid the climb on 190. You will follow 178 to 395 to continue your journey.

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
TenOC wrote:
Trackrig wrote:
If you're going out the west side, be sure your rig can handle the long up hill climbs before you get started.

Bill

Yes, we plan to exit west on highway 190. Is the hill any different from a long mountain drive? Or will there be high temperatures going up the hill that will cause problems?

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
2gypsies wrote:
Mid-May can be extremely HOT. Folks there will want electric if they can. We dry-camped and only lasted one night by sitting outside. . . not enjoyable. We came back in November for the 49ers Days - wonderful.

I assume that the 18 electrical sites were taken. How many other people in the campground. Was it 1/2 full or 3/4 full????

Travel Photos

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
Trackrig wrote:
If you're going out the west side, be sure your rig can handle the long up hill climbs before you get started.

Bill

Yes, we plan to exit west on highway 190. Is the hill any different from a long mountain drive? Or will there be high temperatures going up the hill that will cause problems?

Travel Photos