cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spare Tire carrier

brianseay1
Explorer
Explorer
I have an 07 Coachmen Cross Country. I am wanting to carry me a spare tire but have no idea where I can store it. Do any of you have this same problem and if so what did you do? My old coach had a place underneath it for the spare. Mine is on a Freightliner chassis and I fail to see anywhere that I might be able to carry one. Thought about trying to fabricate a carrier to fit in the receiver hitch. Hope some of have ideas and pics, Thx for any info.
Brian & Neena & B.G.
B.G. 2014 Goldendoodle
2007 Coachmen Cross Country 389DS
300 HP Cummins Turbo Charged
03 Sahara Jeep Wrangler & 05 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic
2014 800 RZR4
Roll Tide Roll
18 REPLIES 18

brianseay1
Explorer
Explorer
Got my Roadmaster spare tire carrier installed today. Very easy to use. Now to get a new wheel and spare tire and I will be set.
Brian & Neena & B.G.
B.G. 2014 Goldendoodle
2014 800 RZR4
Roll Tide Roll

AstroRig57
Explorer
Explorer
I've heard too many stories of people who contacted road service in various parts of the country only to find that they could not get, or would not, dismount and mount tires in the field.

A friend faced this situation several weeks ago and all road service would offer to do for him was to remove the flat and damaged dual allowing him to SLOWLY creep to the nearest town where he had to wait till business hours in the morning to get his tire replaced. He probably damaged the remaining tire driving on it with the extra weight but that remains to be seen.

Some might remove the old tire and wheel, and take it to the nearest tire shop with medium to heavy duty truck tire capability, and then return to mount it on your vehicle. But, how long does that take and what cost? As in the case of my friend, what happens when the tire failure occurs after hours and "road service" does not have an appropriately sized tire available or won't do the work in the field?

I have no desire to change a tire on the road, and in fact have two emergency road service plans, but I carry a spare on the Roadmaster tire carrier to make it easier and faster for road service to get the job done for me. (BTW, my rig came with a frame mounted spare tire rack but, after having a tire & wheel stolen off of it while in an RV park, I got the Roadmaster which allows for securing it with some heavy duty locks.)
2005 Winnebago Sightseer WFD30B "rigged for night" with red LED lighting for night adapted vision.

Do you remember when the sky was dark, and the stars were bright?
The International Dark-Sky Association
American by birth...Scottish by the Grace Of God.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
There are plans for a Frtliner chassis underslung carrier. Why bother with a wheel. Get road service to change the spare tire on you existing wheel.

Moisheh

DKY
Explorer
Explorer
Everything is mounted forward of rear axle and behind fresh water tank ,winch is protected by the wheel no salt problem yet

Kenz71
Explorer
Explorer
If mounted to the underside highly suggest at least annually lower the spare & lube all parts.

Why? My Chevy Suburban had the spare just behind the axle. Road salt caused corrosion which made release impossible.

DKY
Explorer
Explorer
I mounted my spare between the rear axle and the fresh water tank. I put a cross on top of frame rail , then I mounted to the cross piece a 12v cable winch and two long 3/4" bolts. Then I made a plate that fit across rim ( rim center, mounting holes ) That plate has a hook for the cable to hook in and two holes in the plate so when the wheel is pulled up the two long bolts go through the plate then I put on lock washers and nuts to secure the to the frame. The winch switch is mounted in behind the LP tank door . It has been there for 50000 miles

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
brianseay1 wrote:
I am also going to have to buy a new 22.5 steel wheel as well. I have found a 22.5 X 8.25 and a 22.5x 9.00. How do I measure to see which one i will need ?

The size should be stamped on the wheels. I paid $100.00 for mine and they included mounting and balancing charge.

My rear bay is large enough to
Hold 3-4 mounted 22.5 tires... the other bays are pass through also but smaller.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
http://i28.tinypic.com/14l5yrl.jpg width=600
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

The_Logans
Explorer
Explorer
brianseay1 wrote:
I found the exact roadmaster unit on Amazon for $512.00. Is that a good price ?

Yes it is, and it's extremely well made, plus, you can still tow with it, or use a bike carrier, etc.

It didn't cost me anything... Before I signed the deal for the motorhome, I got the dealer to throw it in, at no charge.
Me, My wonderful Wife, 2 Bluetick Hounds, a Newfie, a Cairn Terrier & a Black Lab / Newfie Mix.
2018 Jayco Alante 31v

brianseay1
Explorer
Explorer
I am also going to have to buy a new 22.5 steel wheel as well. I have found a 22.5 X 8.25 and a 22.5x 9.00. How do I measure to see which one i will need ?
Brian & Neena & B.G.
B.G. 2014 Goldendoodle
2014 800 RZR4
Roll Tide Roll

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
I carry mine in the trunk of the towed.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

brianseay1
Explorer
Explorer
I found the exact roadmaster unit on Amazon for $512.00. Is that a good price ?
Brian & Neena & B.G.
B.G. 2014 Goldendoodle
2014 800 RZR4
Roll Tide Roll

brianseay1
Explorer
Explorer
PastorCharlie wrote:
I threw mine in the rear bay.

I wish I had a basement compartment big enough to carry one.
Brian & Neena & B.G.
B.G. 2014 Goldendoodle
2014 800 RZR4
Roll Tide Roll

brianseay1
Explorer
Explorer
The Logans wrote:
We got the RoadMaster spare tire carrier...

http://www.roadmasterinc.com/products/spare_tire/index.html

Thanks for the Roadmaster link. May I ask how much you paid for it? I could not find a price on it. I do like the setup of this type of carrier.
Brian & Neena & B.G.
B.G. 2014 Goldendoodle
2014 800 RZR4
Roll Tide Roll