cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mordida in Hermosillo

iguana07
Explorer
Explorer
Friends of ours crossed Nogales yesterday on way to San Carlos. Driving a class A with toad.

Police vehicle going opposite direction turned around and pulled them over. Was told they were speeding. My friend argued with them to no avail said they had him on radar. (My friend happens to have long hair.)Now the cops are accusing him of being under the influence of alcohol and pot. said they were were going to put him in police car and take him to jail. Worried that the police would plant something in his toad he asked how can we fix this now. Response $1,000.00 U.S. he offered $50.00 after some arguing they settled on $100.00 U.S.
He was so upset he was wondering why he is in Mexico. But after a few Margaritas at Tononaka he has decided water under the bridge.

I would like to hear some thoughts of what you would have done in this case. I would have called their bluff but really had not crossed my mind of them planting evidence.
Chuck n Sandy
Roxy the Kelpie and Kiki the cat.
18 REPLIES 18

daveB110
Explorer
Explorer
Eight winter trips and a lot of driving, never stopped by Police. I have heard the stories though, someone allegedly for running a stop light,etc., etcetera. I guess until it happens to you, you have a different outlook regarding Mexico. We like their people, and have never thought the worse for those in uniform and contrary to some northeners' thinking, honesty is very prevalent.

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
Mex, re "...But with the windows rolled down you can rapidly increase your colloquial Spanish. Phrases that involve pubic hair, your mother and various farm animals." That sir is comedy gold. My first laugh of the morning that will be hard to beat. Gracias.
Hickory, NC
2007 Fleetwood Discovery 40X

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
It's up to the cop on the scene. Few Mexican traffic laws make perfect sense.

One sure way to get a ticket is to be approaching the intersection, see the blinking green light, then be accelerating like mad as you enter the intersection on a yellow.

It gets frustrating with Mexican drivers who think the little stick on the left side of the steering column serves no purpose (about 80% of the drivers).

Follow that car that has no brake lights into an intersection whose light changes you yellow as you enter. The car slams on the brakes forcing you to stop. Cars on your right are of course accelerating. Finally when the light turns red and horns blare, the idiot in front of you navigates around the cars surging in from both sides.

Of course the SAFE way to avoid getting caught behind an idiot is to stay in the right lane at a red light. Then you only have to endure people laying on the horn because you have blocked them from making a right turn on a red light.

Mexico is not kind to type-A-personality gringo drivers. But with the windows rolled down you can rapidly increase your colloquial Spanish. Phrases that involve pubic hair, your mother and various farm animals.

They may not have brake lights, or use turn signals but Mexican drivers know their significance.

The only rational defense is to drive predictably. Exaggerate turn signal advance warnings. Many times when somebody has their hood ornament stuffed up my tailpipe, I will give a 3-flash left turn signal warning before I turn left 200 feet later. Flash brake lights in advance of stopping or dramatic slowing.

When it's clear to do so on city streets I will pull over and let a tail gater pass me. Sometimes "keeping up with traffic means doing 45 mph in a 15 KmH (school) zone". Keeping up with traffic is like pasting a "Kick Me" sign on your rear bumper to the eyes of a lurking transito.

I do not know where the nutso "If you drive carefully cops will pick you out" came from. Mexican friends and my family laughed at this silliness. As a tourist, the common stereotype is that being a gringo you will not be driving like a Mexican. You will actually stop at ALTO signs and drive ridiculously slow somewhere less then double the speed limit.

Blaring horns are not a "Blatt! Blatt!" the unique report of a traffic cop's "pull-over" horn.

How many times have I heard (In Spanish) a cop say "You are different than what I was told to expect". Stereotype. A condescending elitist who believes they are immune from Mexican law. Sure, it's ridiculous. But rumors have a way of becoming credible when told often enough. Of course a predatory cop is a different animal. But until proven different I enter into a conversation believing the cop has had his tail yanked by fellow transitos.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Sometimes these are not actually traffic rules. Just a way of getting mordida. Transitos are the lowest form of LEO's. I doubt they have ever read the traffic laws. Federal police are the real thing. They remind me of Mounties or Highway Patrols. Professionals!

Moisheh

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Some citys have green lights that blink signaling that the light is going to change, it all depends on were you are in relation to the corner they are trying to prevent accidents, that is why it is good to drive a little slower than normal it gives you time to react.

navegator

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm intrigued by the rule that you can't enter an intersection on the yellow -- if the light is green, and you are almost to the intersection, how do you know when it is going to turn yellow?

At some US intersections, we have a countdown clock for pedestrians, and that gives some warning that the yellow is on its way. But not very many places have that clock.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I drive slower than traffic in town all the time.

One quirk that irks traffic cops is to drive in the number one lane when there is ample opportunity to move to lane # 2. It's the law on open suburban multi-lane boulevards and on all
"Inicio Tramo Cargo de SCT"
Start of the federally enforced PFP "sections (tramos)" outside of incorporated towns. Also includes multi-lane toll roads.

One other quirk and any Mexican can tell you this is a no-no, don't look at the face of of a Mexican cop if he's on foot or in a car. It's some weird challenge or something. I tried it just to be cute about forty years ago - she came roaring down the steps of some public building blowing her whistle and holding her baton aloft. I laughed, slowed down and led her for a running block before dusting her off and heading for the ferry terminal. Would not be smart in today's cell phone age.

Wm_Elliot
Explorer
Explorer
Fifteen visits since 1999 and I've been pulled over probably 7 times. Most of the time the officer told me what I was doing wrong and sent me on my way. Three times a bribe was hinted about, only one time did I pay $10 - the guy was relentless. We argued for 30 minutes and he wasn't backing down (N.Laredo).
Posted speed limits in much of Mexico are crazy slow. I often see traffic moving at 60mph on roads posted at 60KPH. I strive to keep up with traffic - go too slow and you'll be suspicious to police looking for a frightened tourist.
As far as corruption goes - in California a speeding ticket can approach $1,000 in fines and surcharges - same with Ontario.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Better to talk about how BETTER to understand Mexican traffic laws. Nothing is more embarrassing than a red-faced gringo shouting at a cop after breaking the law. Here are a couple of doozies and yes these laws cover the entire nation and yes I have described them accurately as possible...

IT IS ILLEGAL to enter an intersection with an amber light already glowing. In the states it is a RED light. In Mexico it is the AMBER or YELLOW light.

IT IS ILLEGAL to make a left turn from a travel lane if shoulder conditions allow pulling off the onto the RIGHT shoulder and wait for traffic to clear. Then carefully cross all travel lanes and make a right. Yes this means you can be charged guilty for having someone rear end you. IF SHOULDER CONDITIONS ALLOW is a major point. Obviously a motor home is not a car and cops will not site the driver UNLESS that shoulder was level gravel. Just keep it in mind if a wide shoulder exists, especially if it has a solid white painted stripe. Automobiles are much more prone to get cited for this infraccion. Don't bother arguing this, I have read the law in too many Mexican traffic books (It's 31 state universal) and it is enforced by city transitos, policias municipios and the PFP.

The above point is why you often see Mexicans ahead of you dart to the empty left lane then make a left. Pay attention to left turn lanes on major highways that are located on the shoulder. They are paved, striped, arrowed with a stop sign.

mexicoruss
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
We learned about mordida back in the late 80's and haven't been back to Mexico since. Too much corruption for our tastes. Best of luck to those who continue to visit Mexico.
Yep great stay where there is no corruption.... Thanks
Russ Black
011-521-638-113-4591 Cell Phone
Puerto Penasco, Sonora

mexicoruss
Explorer
Explorer
I just shake my head at this stuff, especially the post about too much corruption so they wish the best to those who still visit Mexico.....geez louis....probably speeding, shouldn't have paid the cops should have gone to the police station.......omg! Living here almost 12 years and I still have not experienced what the people come up with.
Russ Black
011-521-638-113-4591 Cell Phone
Puerto Penasco, Sonora

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
For the Americans travelling in Mexico, remember that the speeds are in KILOMETERS per hour and not MILES I have both in the toad but not the RV so using white paint I added the marks and numbers of the kilometers to the plastic , and it is visible at night best speeds to travel 55 MPH on highway and no more than 35 mph crossing towns on the side of road and definitly 25 or 20 mph when you are going through the middle of the town or slower, remember the beloved topes , slow down take your time there is not rat race you are in the land of mañana.

Mañana sera otro dia!

navegator

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
The state of Baja California, has an aggressive Tourism Attorney. They had jailed predatory Ensenada traffic cops years ago and the transitos stopped focusing on foreigners.

It may be of interest to note that in many Mexican cities, all passengers in a vehicle (your toad) must wear seat belts or the driver faces a six hundred peso (minimum) for each unbelted passenger.

The State office For Protection of Tourists, is located on the waterfront road, the malecon in Ensenada. They insist on the complainant furnishing, date, time, place, license plate or badge number. The office staff speaks extremely fluent English.

About three months ago a hysterically funny incident occurred with a pair of cops in Lazaro Cardenas* Baja California. The policia municipio stopped Canadian tourists "For Driving With Their Headlights On".

Outrageous. What the stupes did not realize was a Canadian lady was recording video and audio in high definition from the car and recorded the cops demanding (I forgot the amount but it was absurd). Yup, the State Office of Protection for Tourists saw the whole thing live and in color. The cops went to state prison. It made the Zeta newspaper, and others followed suit.

*The twin city of San Quintin

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
A few years ago, there was an outfit called the Sindicato that was cracking down on police corruption -- we were told that we could call them if there was a problem.

When we were pulled over in San Quentin for an imaginary infraction, the policeman told me that the whole thing could be solved if I paid the fine to him on the spot. I speak fairly fluent Spanish -- I asked the policeman if he could call the Sindicato on his radio for me. He immediately waved us on.

I have not heard anything more about this Sindicato, so maybe it is no longer in operation?

Or it could also be that there was never any such thing as the Sindicato, and he was so confused by my bizarre question that he decided it would be too much trouble to deal with a crazy person. 😉
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."