cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

traveling with dogs and cats in a MH.

sandyhu248
Explorer
Explorer
How do you all travel with your pets? Do you use crates? We have 4 dogs( small, medium, large and extra large),and a cat. When we travel in our MH, we put them in their crates and hook the crates down with the seat belts. The extra large is a Great Pyrenees so he's too big for a crate. He rides on the folded out sofa with his leash hooked to the seatbelt. . I feel that this is the safest way for them to travel. My hope is that if we would get in a accident, the crates would prevent them from being bounced around the MH.
Any thoughts or ideas of a better/safer way for them to travel?
10 REPLIES 10

jbbrick
Explorer
Explorer
3 cats and one Dobie...all free to find their own spots. Usually one cat on the dashboard, the other two under the couch till we park. Doggie usually on the floor between us. Been doing this for years, so far so good.
'06 Itasca Suncruiser 33'
2016 Ford Edge toad

pennysmom09
Explorer
Explorer
BCSnob wrote:
All are in secured crates to protect them during a crash and to keep them from getting loose into traffic after a crash.

This! They would become flying projectiles in an accident.
Nancy and Doug
2015 KZ Durango 325RL FW

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
BCSnob wrote:
All are in secured crates to protect them during a crash and to keep them from getting loose into traffic after a crash.

X10

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

sandyhu248
Explorer
Explorer
my pets are only in their crates while the motorhome is moving. We travel on I 95 A LOT and we have seen some terrible accidents on that road. Once we get parked, the have free run just as they do at home. 🙂

sandyhu248
Explorer
Explorer
jerseyjim wrote:
Currently have one dog. 16 pounder. Right now, as in the past we have NEVER "crated" any dog be it at the house or in any RV.

So...my response to you is that our dog is not in a crate in the RV, she likes to sit on top of the sofa and look out the window.

FWIW

Please know, our pets are never in the crates at home and the crates were bought specifically for traveling in the motorhome. I just feel that some sort of barrier, as opposed to to bouncing around in the Motorhome ,is safer for them. In the case of an accident, anything that is loose is going to go flying forward very quickly!!. NOT an option that I would consider.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Our dogs have always considered their crate as their private place, so when we travelled with them, their crates were back on the bed, and they always rode in them. Crates were open so they could come and go as they liked, but they both always wanted their crates to ride in.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Two cats, two Greyhounds. All 4 find their own happy place. No crates, no restraints.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer
Explorer
We use a seat belt tether attached to a harness rather than a collar.
With 4 dogs, do you have any trouble getting reservations?
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
Currently have one dog. 16 pounder. Right now, as in the past we have NEVER "crated" any dog be it at the house or in any RV.

So...my response to you is that our dog is not in a crate in the RV, she likes to sit on top of the sofa and look out the window.

FWIW